Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:24 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,568 Posts
Nice job Zog. You appear to be focused on results. Good for you.
Good luck in the contest mate and keep practicing.
After our contest Saturday I found myself practicing landings on my own for two hours. I really enjoyed it. Somehow I think the solitude with ones glider and my little Ricky following me back and forth with the bungee is very good for the soul.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:45 PM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
597 Posts
Mail came in friday with my lsf envelope only to find that im still 300 contest points shy from completing my LIII and starting my LIV tasks. Bummer. Oh well,thankfully Gainesville is 5 days away!
Enrico
enrico74ec is offline Find More Posts by enrico74ec
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:25 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,340 Posts
Awesome work Zogster!

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
574 Posts
Got my 2nd 15 minute towards Level II today. It was a bit breezy and maybe 50 degrees out. I was flying my 2 meter Duck with 6 oz of ballast. It was the first time I've flown with ballast before. It's a beautiful thing when you're up high moving around looking for lift. Not so great when you're at 13 minutes and getting lower and trying to stretch it out.

Anyway, found lift within a minute of launching, got it up to 1175 ft which is where I get uncomfortable and start looking around for neutral air. At around 10 minutes it was definitely time to find more lift. I took off in a new direction and hit some pretty good sink. Was proactive though and turned the plane around immediately and headed in the other direction. Found some good air and kept it aloft for the time needed. Ended up with 15:36.

Jim
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,340 Posts
Awesome work, Jim!

Thanks for sharing the details of your adventure. One of my favorite parts of the program is that although every l2 has done a 15 minute TD flight each L2's 15 is unique.

Ryan
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
682 Posts
"Why would I want to bother with the LSF Task Prigram?"

"....time to find more lift. I took off in a new direction and hit some pretty good sink. Was proactive though and turned the plane around immediately and headed in the other direction. Found some good air and kept it aloft for the time needed. Ended up with 15:36."

It is the organized steps the program guides a pilot thru that gives him experience and awareness to make the kind of decision above.

LSF1's 5 minute time task seems like an impossible goal to new pilots, to an LAS2, 5 minutes us an expectation minimum flight:-)

Congrats and be excited knowing the program is doing its job for you!
Gordy
Gordysoar is online now Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:42 PM
sailplane nut
Herminie, PA 15637
Joined Apr 2007
198 Posts
LSF info

Hi from RCbobcat55@yahoo.com Many years ago I completed level 4 lsf but have since forgotten my menber number and would like to get my level 4 patch and voucher. My address back then was Robert J. Markle SR Unit 3 Sandy hill road, Irwin, PA 15642 My current address is Robert J. Markle SR 79 Clopper Street Herminie, PA 15637 Can someone put me in touch with the appropriate people? Thaanks Much Bob Markle
rcbobcat55 is offline Find More Posts by rcbobcat55
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:53 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
574 Posts
I was in a similar situation...well except for the Level IV part. Anyway - just email your info to Info@silentflight.org and they'll take care of you.
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:55 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobcat55 View Post
Hi from RCbobcat55@yahoo.com Many years ago I completed level 4 lsf but have since forgotten my menber number and would like to get my level 4 patch and voucher. My address back then was Robert J. Markle SR Unit 3 Sandy hill road, Irwin, PA 15642 My current address is Robert J. Markle SR 79 Clopper Street Herminie, PA 15637 Can someone put me in touch with the appropriate people? Thaanks Much Bob Markle
Hey Bob,
Welcome back and have fun completing the journey. Go to the LSF Website at www.silentflight.org and read all about it.
The contact page is here.
If you write to the LSF and ask Rob Glover he will take care of you. His email is:
Info@silentflight.org

Good luck
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:49 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,340 Posts
Bob,

Welcome back and welcome to this thread! Like everyone has said send an email to Rob.

Ryan
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:35 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobcat55 View Post
Your member number is 3814.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:25 AM
LSF IV
USA, TX, Corinth
Joined Jan 2009
89 Posts
Great day in Dallas

We had a beautiful day for soaring here in Dallas. About 65 degs at noon, with a high forecast of 70. Winds were 5-8 and humidity was low, with a cloudless sky. The wind direction was not favorable, coming from Nearby Lake Lewisville. This direction normally brings plenty of sink from the lake.

About 7 club members met at our Highway 407 fun fly site for a little afternoon soaring.

I decided to start a watch when I first launched today at 1:00 pm. Not what would seem a great time to start this task.

Lift was really solid. The wind direction was directly toward the sun, so I ended up endlessly thermaling far far downwind. I would get really high, circling directly into the sun. Lost my plane over and over in the glare. Haul all the way back to the field using the best lines and signs of which side to come back.

My club mates Dan Ahearn, Tim Bennett, Rob Davis, Bill Maserang marked lift all afternoon, but I always continued to be 1/2 mile downwind when lift was right over the field. Over and over a dozen times, I had to drive forward, pick up the field thermal and take it back again to the sun.

At 6 different times, I returned to the field with less than 100 ft altitude. Three times I was down to 50 feet before getting a good read off of Tim's pole mounted wind sock/streamer and could vector to a hand launch thermal and get out again.

With about 15 minutes left to go on my Two Hour duration Task, Dan launched his AVA and popped off at about 200 ft, due to a thermal. I flew way back behind the track I thought it would take, and promptly connected. I took it up really high and basically flew out the rest of the 15 minutes in broad bouyant air.

Official Time. 2 hours, 1 minute 16 seconds and LSF 5 duration is done.

Thanks to all my flying partners in SLNT !

JimmyMac in Dallas
jimmm3 is offline Find More Posts by jimmm3
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:05 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
311 Posts
Nice Jimmy!

I got two more of my level one landings yesterday. It was super windy so all I could do was launch and land. My Gentle Lady was flying backwards at times and one landing I was able to fly over the spot and hover it down from about 10 feet.
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:40 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,340 Posts
Jimmy, awesome work and thanks for sharing! Congrats, I have yet to do my 2 hour personally but I am really looking forward to it. I enjoyed all the details of your report.

Zogster, cograts on getting some more L1 landings in!

Ryan
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:42 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck View Post
First, Nightowl, thanks for your interest in the LSF. The goal and return task doesn't show up until Level III after you've completed Level II. All of the goal & return tasks work this way. From the launch point, draw a circle with a radius of the required task distance (1, 2, or 10 K). Now, look at the roadways that would get you outside the circle and back - yes it is goal AND return. That will determine the potential routes of your cross country flights. Yes, that means some pilots will have to fly more than the required distance to complete the task. Notice also, that for Levels III & IV, you need 2 witnesses and that should you go for Level V you'll need 2 witnesses who are LSF Level II or higher. I'd encourage you to enroll as soon as you can and get cracking on Levels I & II. If you've any more questions about the LSF program, you can reach me on via the LSF web site.
Jim Deck LSF Secretary
This was post #212 in this thread, made about four years ago, but it only came to my attention recently. It makes perfect sense to me because the LSF tasks page says this:
Quote:
Section 10 - Goal and Return Flight

A goal and return flight is a thermal duration flight which commences with a launch as specified in Section 7. After towline release, the sailplane must be flown over the launch point and then to a pre-designated goal a minimum straight line distance away, as specified in the Soaring Accomplishments Program, Requirements summary, Section 12, and back to the launch point.
However, subsequent posts claim that it really doesn't mean what it says and that a person can position himself and launch from somewhere in the midst of a course and then fly in two opposite directions for a round trip between points that are the required distance from each other, even if neither of those points is the required distance from the launch point.

Did this ever get settled? Is this the way people are now doing their Goal & Return tasks?
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike