HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Jan 2004
238 Posts
Slope landings for L1/2

G'day Folks

Would it be exceptable for landings completed on a slope site, provided they were within the respective distances?

Cheers John Quigley Downunder L4
Aussie John is offline Find More Posts by Aussie John
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:16 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie John View Post
G'day Folks

Would it be exceptable for landings completed on a slope site, provided they were within the respective distances?

Cheers John Quigley Downunder L4
The site doesn't matter, but my interpretation of the LSF rules is that the plane has to be launched with a towline at least 75 meters long. If you throw the plane off a slope then the flight does not qualify for an LSF precision landing.

But the LSF rules are not as clear on this as they might be, and I can understand if this issue is subject to debate. I'll present my case and then we'll see what others think:

Quote:
This is copied from http://www.silentflight.org/index.ph...gram/lsf-tasks with red highlighting added by me:

Section 9- Precision Spot Landing

A precision spot landing is accomplished by landing the sailplane so that the extreme forward tip of the nose or forward most point of the longitudinal centerline, at rest, is within the required distance from the center of a designed spot on the ground. All precision spot landing flights must commence with a launch meeting the specifications for towline lengths and methods outlined in Section 7, except that the towline shall be not less than 75 meters (246.1 feet) in length. The landing shall be voided if the model jettisons or loses parts, comes to rest in an inverted position or touches any person or object while landing. However, contact with a spot-marker which does not noticeably impede the flight or landing of the model is permissible.
And here, highlighted in red, are "the specifications for towline lengths and methods outlined in Section 7". Note that the first sentence is not part of this and does not address spot landings:

Quote:
Section 7- Thermal Duration Flight

A thermal duration flight commences at the time of release from the end of towline or at release of hand launch. The distance from the extreme end of towline, at the winch, hi-start hold-down, towman, vehicle, or towline return device to the attach point at the model shall be no more than 300 meters (984.3 feet). Tow men and vehicles shall be limited to a maximum of sixty (60) seconds from launch to towline release. Towing by means of aircraft or other airborne devices is expressly forbidden.
The LSF site has a Rules Interpretations Page, but I didn't see any material there that helps clarify this issue.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:11 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
My buddy Ben got his 2nd 5 minute flight recorded yesterday. He flew a 10:49.

Now he just needs to get the landings and then he will be a LSF member. Last night he was close on several landings but not quite close enough.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
596 Posts
Winds: 6-8 mph. Plane: Sapphire. After four tries and landing about 2 meters short of the circle every time, I finally landed one inside the 3-meter mark (1 foot from center) for my LSF I landing task.

Unfortunately, a squall was about to soak the flying field and everyone was in scramble mode to put away their models and stow the winch, so no witnesses. Still 5 to go. But I have the taste of blood after that one.

Allan
R2R is offline Find More Posts by R2R
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:29 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
Nice work today, Allan.

Today my buddy Ben got his first 2 landings in for his LSF1. He was close on a few more as well.

http://pinterest.com/pin/108790147219506628/

The above one was a 95 on an AMA tape!

Ryan
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:55 AM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
596 Posts
Thanks, Ryan. Nice work to Ben, as well. His 95 looks about what my landing looked like. I should just pull the phone out and snap a pic next time too. Great looking Psycho there.

Allan
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
Glad you liked the picture. I'm trying to do a better job of documenting the fun I am having in my hobbies.

Ryan
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:18 AM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
464 Posts
Congrats INGO!!!! Way to go. Great to hear you got it done.
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:30 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
My buddy Ben got another L1 landing tonight. This one right at 2 meters from the spot.

Ryan
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
596 Posts
Cheers to Ben for punching out another L1 landing. I was not able to fly this past weekend. Big hopes for this coming one as long as H. Isaac stays away.

Allan
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:09 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
574 Posts
Got my level 1 years ago and then was away from the hobby pretty much until last year. Have flown a lot this summer and finally decided to re-activate my LSF membership. Got my voucher in the mail today and will begin work on my Level II in earnest. I think I can knock out my landings and duration flights before the end of the season. I've flown in a couple of contests this year - hoping I can apply them to my contest requirements.

Jim
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:49 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,358 Posts
Jim,

Welcome back! Be sure to share your stories on the 15 minute thermals.

Ryan
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:06 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,569 Posts
Speaking of 15 minute thermals I am back doing my level 2 and just need 1 x 15 minute to send my form in. Went down to the church with Jody during the week but didn't get flying till after 6:00 and try as I might from the bungee I couldn't get better than 5 mins. Bugger.
Great to have you back Glider Jim. Go get em.
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
The Eastern Soaring League comes to Long Island, NY 9/22 and 9/23

If you are an LSF pilot looking for your level III, IV or V contests this should be a good one for you to attend. These will be two individual contests so you can fly one or fly both. There will be awards each day and an award for top pilot for the weekend.

We will likey have pilots from New Hampshire to North Carolina and perhaps farther away than that. Many of the ESL pilots attended this year's National Championships.

We still have about 4 weeks to go for registration and already there are 22 pilots signed up. With a little luck we could hit 40.

Register here. Feel free to ask questions.
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=43

If you navigate by GPS, use 25 Southwoods Road, Syosset, NY 11791
Hosted by the Long Island Silent Flyers www.lisf.org
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:49 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
574 Posts
I went out to the club field today to work on my Level II tasks. My first flight was with an Airtronics Legend and was good for a landing (42"). I tried a few more flights with the Legend and was having difficulty getting much past 6 minutes so decided to switch to the 2M Duck and work on landings. After a few attempts I managed a 3" landing. Not sure why I can't do that during a contest. A couple of flights later after circling the entire field I found some lift at about 100'. I rode it up to about 200' and then lost it. Went back to where I had found it before and rode it up again. Lost it and when back for 3rds but it had deteriorated by then. I was just past 7 minutes at this point and decided to land. I held up for a bit to let someone else get in and then as I was getting ready to fly over a stand of trees on the way to setting up my landing the sink got hold of me. I tried to do a 180 and get out of there but one of them trees reached up and smacked me. I went for a walk in the woods and found the plane on the ground, undamaged! I put her up once more to make sure everything was working properly and managed a 30" landing.

That was my longest flight, and no one else was doing much better while I was there. So three landings out of the way. Hopefully I can get out next week and try again.

Jim
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim