HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:14 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,546 Posts
Congradulations Lincoln!!!
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:25 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
737 Posts
Priority mail for LSF vouchers

I noticed someone used priority mail to return a voucher in the hope that it would turn around faster. It might or might not. Here's the way LSF voucher exchanges work:
- Upon completing the tasks, a voucher is mailed to the LSF at its AMA address in Muncie.
- LSF mail received at AMA headquarters is retained until a significant amount is received.
- The accumulated LSF mail is forwarded to the LSF secretary by US mail.
- The mail is received and processed by the LSF Secretary as rapidly as his time permits.
- A new voucher is on the way from the LSF Secretary via US mail.

NOTE: In certain EXTREME cases, I have received email requests for more rapid turn-around and made it happen by allowing direct mail to the LSF Secretary. These cases are, however, the exception and not the rule for obvious reasons.

Jim Deck LSF Secretary
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old May 01, 2008, 09:25 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
I even got it in the mail. Which is good, because I'm moving tomorrow. So I'm ok unless the post office loses it AND I lose my back up copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Got my second hour flight today. I hesitate to say it, given what happened before, but I think I've got level 4 nailed. Will probably put the info together and send in tomorrow.

Almost seems like cheating to use the Ava.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old May 24, 2008, 03:06 PM
nlpken
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Oct 2007
72 Posts
First One Hour Flight Today

I finally decided to get serious working on LSF Level IV. With the cheering on of SSJSS club members and my timer, Gary Ellington, I completed my first one hour duration flight using my new Onyx JW. Lift was unbelievable today after several weeks of windy conditions.

Ken
nlpken is offline Find More Posts by nlpken
Old May 24, 2008, 06:13 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,572 Posts
Congrats Ken! Nice work and hopefully others are getting in duration or distance tasks this spring.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old May 24, 2008, 08:13 PM
SoarNut
United States, MI, Kentwood
Joined Apr 2005
373 Posts
Ken, I just completed my first one hour level IV flight today too. 1st flight 19 min., a few 10 minute flights, then a 49 minute, finally made 1 hr. 3 min. A whole lot of flying.

I started out with my AVA. I could get excellent altitude, however, the distance between clouds was too far so I switched to the Sharon. That gave me some legs to make the next thermal.

Dennis
spinolio is offline Find More Posts by spinolio
Old May 24, 2008, 09:26 PM
nlpken
Joined Oct 2007
72 Posts
LSF Level IV

Congratulations, Dennis on your one hour flight. Sounds like you had a rough start but stuck with it -good luck on your upcoming tasks.

Thermals,

Ken
Old May 25, 2008, 06:55 AM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,498 Posts
Congratulations Ken! I can tell you how many times I landed at 55 minutes plus trying to get mine. I did the two, hour flights as well. I did my second one with a H/L, that was an adventure.

Ed
www.commonsenserc.com
Ed Franz is online now Find More Posts by Ed Franz
Old May 25, 2008, 07:39 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,031 Posts
Got my second 5-min+ yesterday, and two of my 5 landings for LSF1...the flight was a nice one, I had actually been up for about 5 minutes when I asked "Hey, is anyone timing me?" tthen I heard *beep* "Now I am...." My official time was 10:07, but I had been up for a while...would have stayed there had I noticed I hit my reflex switch.....thought I was in BAAAAD sink, but noticed the T/E position after landing.....
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old May 26, 2008, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Franz
Congratulations Ken! I can tell you how many times I landed at 55 minutes plus trying to get mine. I did the two, hour flights as well. I did my second one with a H/L, that was an adventure.

Ed
www.commonsenserc.com
55 minutes is nothing. I definitely have had a 58, and I think I remember, long ago, getting a 59, as have some of my fellow club members. I think it was the 58 where I was down to maybe 30 feet (witnesses said lower) at 3 minutes.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2008, 05:29 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68
Got my second 5-min+ yesterday, and two of my 5 landings for LSF1...the flight was a nice one, I had actually been up for about 5 minutes when I asked "Hey, is anyone timing me?" tthen I heard *beep* "Now I am...." My official time was 10:07, but I had been up for a while...would have stayed there had I noticed I hit my reflex switch.....thought I was in BAAAAD sink, but noticed the T/E position after landing.....
Pat yourself on the back. You'll be working on level 3 before you know it.

I once spent most of a flight I was timing, trying to convince the guy (a fellow club member) that he was flying too fast. I didn't want to try too hard, because I didn't want to break his concentration, but I did mention it several times. Turns out he had the glider in reflex. I think he made the time anyway. Those old Dodgson "song" gliders floated pretty well, even at 100 oz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2008, 05:52 PM
SoarNut
Joined Apr 2005
373 Posts
Yippeee... I got my second one hour level IV today. This time it was a lot easier, did it on the first flight of the day.

Next up 1.24 mile goal and return, then a whole lotta points.

Dh
Old Jun 02, 2008, 05:31 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,546 Posts
I flew the S. Lady today for a bit. A bunch of 2-3 minute flights. I took a break for an hour or so to clean the pool. The weather cooled off a bit and clouded over but I decided to get some more time on it just to get a better feel for it. I launched off the high start and hit the timer. When I landed I was surprised to see I got a 5:23.9, next flight 4:20.7. I wish I had a witness. This LSF stuff is tough since I fly alone so much. Oh well, at least I was having fun.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Jun 02, 2008, 06:28 PM
nlpken
Joined Oct 2007
72 Posts
One Hour LS Flight

QUOTE=spinolio]Yippeee... I got my second one hour level IV today. This time it was a lot easier, did it on the first flight of the day.

Next up 1.24 mile goal and return, then a whole lotta points.

Dh[/QUOTE]

Dennis - way to go Congratulations. My neck has been sore since my first one-hour flight so haven't attempted the second one as yet. Good luck with your goal and return and contest points.

Thermals

Ken
Old Jun 02, 2008, 08:22 PM
SoarNut
Joined Apr 2005
373 Posts
Thanks Ken, my lips just got the skin grown back from the first one. I did forget to put sunblock on my neck, ouch.

Good luck on your next one. I'll watch for it.

Dennis