SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 09:34 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
Congrats Lincoln! Way to go, I hope to join you in completion of L4 some day.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:05 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,012 Posts
Um, oops, it seems that not only is the form missing that has my 4 hour slope flight, but the first thermal flight doesn't show up on my old form either. (It was a back up photocopy, but was not the latest.) So I've got to fly either the 4 hour slope or the one hour thermal over again. I have documentation for the contest points, goal and return, and the second one hour flight, but I'm moving in a couple of weeks so they'll probably disappear. (Or, if I'm lucky, the old form will turn up.)
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:04 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,552 Posts
Hopefully you'll find the old form during your move. Until then I would keep the form you have on you until you move for safe keeping or mail a copy to your new address. Take a picture of it and put the SD card from the camera in a charm necklace and never take it off. Maybe your pharmacy could have it made into a medical tube. The one with the micro film inside with your records. Then you just look in the end and there it is. Personally, I've always been one of those people that would lose their @** if it wasn't attached kinda guys. All kidding aside, good luck on completing level 4. I'm just getting started with level 1. The weather is just starting to get nice here. My biggest problem is getting a witness. That no relative rule bites. The wife sits out and watches me all the time and drinks coffee. Yesterday she ran the timer. Luckily I did have a witness and got 4 of my landings in. Lift wasn't the best just a few 3 min. flights. I really was more interested in checking out the new mini winch. I built one of the ones that uses a power plane starter. Works great on the HL size gliders. I was using it on a Dynaflite Skeeter with great results.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:55 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
but I'm moving in a couple of weeks so they'll probably disappear.
So scan the forms that you have in now, and then email the document to yourself. This way, you'll always have a copy.

Ryan
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:48 AM
Permanently Banned
Dallas TX
Joined Oct 2004
1,551 Posts
I have completed all tasks up to Level 5, and for the life of me could never see clinging to the side of a 'mountain' for 8 hours as anything other than initiation punishment! A 2 hour thermal flight was all the abuse I could handle! That was one of the reasons the HAM was entertained by the NSS, and I tried to get 'Soaring Factor' values into the LSF - as a soaring option.
histarter is offline Find More Posts by histarter
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:24 PM
I just wanna fly
USA, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2005
593 Posts
I just completed my Level 1 this past weekend at the SSJSS Bent Wing contest in Bakersfield. I only needed to get a landing and Ken Moser was my timer on that flight so I had to be sure to get him as my witness.
Mailed it in this morning (via Priority Mail) and I'm hoping to get it back in time for the CVRC Bent Wing in a couple of weeks.
Now, on to Level 2!!
slozuke is offline Find More Posts by slozuke
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:16 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
Nice work Slozuke! And, good luck with your upcoming contest.

Ryan
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:57 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
This weekend, up on the SOAR field in Chicago, one of our fellow RCG members, knocked out his Level one in just over 24 hours (that pesky can't fly the thermal tasks on the same day rule), so the LSF fold has grown again! Way to go Hogan!!!

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:19 PM
Batavia, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenatorLTFO
This weekend, up on the SOAR field in Chicago, one of our fellow RCG members, knocked out his Level one in just over 24 hours (that pesky can't fly the thermal tasks on the same day rule), so the LSF fold has grown again! Way to go Hogan!!!

Steve
Thanks Steve.

Truth be told, I've been flying sailplanes for a couple of years now. I fly moldies and have access to a winch. After joining SOAR-Chicago last year, I finally decided to do the LSF achievement program. So that's the context behind me getting LSF 1 in 24 hours.

It's gonna take me a bit longer to get LSF 2.
hogann is offline Find More Posts by hogann
Last edited by hogann; Apr 22, 2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 09:23 AM
Joined Feb 2007
367 Posts
histarter

Does anything in the LSF program make you happy? Complete the full series of the Level V task and you will understand why you fly on a bluff for 8 hours.
Keith Kindrick is offline Find More Posts by Keith Kindrick
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:00 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by histarter
I have completed all tasks up to Level 5, and for the life of me could never see clinging to the side of a 'mountain' for 8 hours as anything other than initiation punishment! A 2 hour thermal flight was all the abuse I could handle! That was one of the reasons the HAM was entertained by the NSS, and I tried to get 'Soaring Factor' values into the LSF - as a soaring option.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 8 hour slope task. It was a thing of beauty. Your description of the 2 hour thermals task as "abuse" is something I don't understand at all, I enjoyed that flight as well. I remember both events clearly and they are fond memories indeed.

I am forced to wonder why you fly these things at all if you don't find pleasure in doing so. Is someone paying you to fly?
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:13 PM
jrerickson
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2005
824 Posts
I really enjoyed my 8 hour flight as well. There are things you discover that you never even thought of. Not the basic things, like changing radios mid flight and peeing AWAY from the wind, but the changes a hill goes through during the course of the day, the thermals that mix in with the slope lift, the way the sun moves across the sky, the time to let your mind wander while still focusing on flying.

I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. It was a high point for me.

JE
LSF V #122
jrerickson is offline Find More Posts by jrerickson
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:28 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,012 Posts
second hour flight today

Got my second hour flight today. I hesitate to say it, given what happened before, but I think I've got level 4 nailed. Will probably put the info together and send in tomorrow.

Almost seems like cheating to use the Ava.
Quote:
Um, oops, it seems that not only is the form missing that has my 4 hour slope flight, but the first thermal flight doesn't show up on my old form either. (It was a back up photocopy, but was not the latest.) So I've got to fly either the 4 hour slope or the one hour thermal over again. I have documentation for the contest points, goal and return, and the second one hour flight, but I'm moving in a couple of weeks so they'll probably disappear. (Or, if I'm lucky, the old form will turn up.)
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2008, 04:11 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
Quote:
Got my second hour flight today. I hesitate to say it, given what happened before, but I think I've got level 4 nailed. Will probably put the info together and send in tomorrow.

Almost seems like cheating to use the Ava.
Well. I was there and it looked difficult enough to me. The high point for me (not necessarily Lincolns') was when he had the AVA down to its lowest point with less than 20 minutes to go. It was less than 300 feet high I'd say, and still coming down from a long trek back from a downwind thermal.

Then he hit some very light lift...and he worked it. Several very nice thermal turns is what saved his flight. After five minutes of working hard, you could see the plane starting to make headway up and out.

It was glorious.

After 10 more minutes, the AVA was well over a thousand feet and we knew (as spectators), that it was in the bag.

Nice job Lincoln.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:03 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
Congrats on your 2nd 1 hour flight, Lincoln!

Ryan