SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 02:19 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Safe Place for Paperwork

I keep mine in my transmitter case now days
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:27 PM
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
I completed my second 30 minute flight on Wednesday March 19, 2008. The last couple of minutes I had the spoilers all the way out to keep the plane in sight . What a great thermal day in Bakersfield CA. USA
Stantem is offline Find More Posts by Stantem
Last edited by Stantem; Mar 21, 2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:45 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,701 Posts
I just completed my 2 nd 30 min flight for level 3. I did both of them with a DLG and was trying to use that plane for the task. On the last one I had the flaps down and spirling down for 2:45. Man it was high. I need contests now

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:58 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Congratulations to you both on a great job!
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Last edited by Steve Boone; Mar 21, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,066 Posts
Fantastic Jeff. I think it would be tough to do the 30 minute with a 60 inch plane. I once had a 38 minute flight with a hand launch glider in 1996, but that was very lucky and really before I knew what the heck I was doing with this thermal thing.

Great work to both of you getting your 30s.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 30, 2008, 09:09 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,109 Posts
aaaaaaaarrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!

Well, not THAT bad, really. Was a great day of soaring. I haven't been able to find my form for level 4, and the back up copy doesn't have the slope flight on it. (That was maybe 15 years ago!) Therefore, when I get sick of looking for the form (which I think I last saw before I moved, and I'm moving again very soon), I am trying for the second, substitute one hour flight. (The first one was in the '90s, I think)

Wish I'd had the Ava today. Could have seen it enough higher... Not too much more fiddling required to prepare it.

Anyway, first attempt today was with Gnome 2M off my high start. Played around with some lift off a hill but then was down to about 20 feet at 3 or 4 minutes! (I thought it was more like 30 or 40 feet, but witnesses said 20) Managed to climb out. Spent most of the rest of the flight reasonably high. Started to get brain fade near the end, hit some sink, couldn't save it, got dumb thumbs and hit a small tree. I think flying for an hour can require a lot of mental effort. minor damage.

Waited maybe 40 minutes and tried with Oly 2. It was calmer. People were saying it was too late in the day, but by 10 minutes I was thinking about trying to bring it down a little so I could see it better. As with the first flight, spent a LOT of time very high. Blank blue sky makes it hard to reacquire if you look away. Neck hurt so I lay down on grass for awhile. (Fortunately, Al noticed my keys and change had fallen out of my pockets.) I can't remember if it was one or two saves, maybe down to 50 feet? Anyway, towards the end fell out of the lift again and made 52 minutes and something.

A do gooder who was cleaning up the field must have had brain fade too, as he made off with my high start reel. Fortunately, he had spoken with one of our guys so we were able to look him up, call, ascertain the fate of the reel, and retrieve. But it made for a longer day.

On the way home I asked a neighbor about houses in our area for rent and his kids became interested in my glider. Was kind of fun to show it to him, though he asked if he could try and I had to say no as where was no place around very large to fly it. (two weeks ago the ice would have been fine for that)

Well, I guess it's clear I'll get the hour sometime. And after I do I can start on Level 5.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2008, 11:49 AM
Joined Nov 2003
158 Posts
Did my two hour slope flight for level 3 two weekends ago at Eagle Butte. I was flying a GP Spirit with a two channel HiTec transmitter. This was the most boring two hours that I have ever spent on the slope. It was worse than being at the slope with no wind. I am not looking forward to the 4 and 8 hour flights. I am not sure what duration flights have to do with advancing soaring skills, but I will do them because those that have gone before have done so. I am thinking a more exciting airplane and adult diapers.........Doug
dougalert is offline Find More Posts by dougalert
Old Apr 09, 2008, 02:47 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,189 Posts
I just wanted to thank Ryan for posting the requirements for LSF levels. Lets me know what to practice for.
Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:59 AM
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
On Wednesday, April 9, 2008, I launched my modified Osprey by noted builder Amos Kleinsasser into a monster thermal right off the end on the line. I quickly climbed up to the proverbial speck in the sky.

I informed fellow club member Max Whitson I was going to attempt my 1K goal and return. (We call it cross country) Max put the club's observation/verification plan for this task in effect.

With the assistance of Max and other fellow club member Ken Moser, I made it out to the turn around point. I was getting low as I started back. I thought the attempt was doomed when suddenly our flying field resident hawk appeared slightly above and to the right of my plane. The hawk was going up, so I decided to follow. ( I will go to where the hawk is every time)

I climbed out and with plenty of altitude, flew back to the field with plenty to spare. This completes all my requirements for Level 3. I look forward to starting on Level 4. What a great soaring day in Bakersfield, CA USA
Stantem is offline Find More Posts by Stantem
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,066 Posts
Stantem,

Great write up! Thanks very much for sharing and congrats on completing L3.

Ryan
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Congratulations Stantem!
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:09 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
652 Posts
re: long slope flights

Back when the LSF tasks were organized, the long duration flights presented more of a challenge for those seeking to take the endevour to a higher level since YOU had to find a suitable location, study weather trends, and learn about battery endurance and little things like bodily demands while fiddling with a TX. Thanks to a long list of hard core fliers who came before you and me, instant weather reports from multiple sources, and the advancement of battery technology, a great deal of the challenge has already been done for you. If you really want to be a purist, do your flights someplace nobody else has.
PS: Ryan, great thread. I will be in touch about getting together this season. Let me know if you and any of your crowd would like to fly at our slice of midwest green air sometime.
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger
Last edited by Gil Gauger; Apr 10, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:03 PM
Joined Nov 2003
158 Posts
Thank you for the background Gil. Chances are that I won't search for an unknown site for the longer duration flights that are in my future. I live 15 minutes from Eagle. As long as we can keep access open, Eagle is my hill......Doug
dougalert is offline Find More Posts by dougalert
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:16 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,066 Posts
Yeah Gil, we'll have to hook up this season.

I agree with your sentiments on trying something that has not been done before, it is fun, but I might just do that 8 hours at Brookville (when the time comes, need to get contest points for L4 first). I have been trying to do the XC at novel fields. Of course, hand held GPS units and Google Earth have made finding XC sites easier too.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 04:28 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,109 Posts
GOt the one hour flight today. So I should be able to get things together and send in for that level 5 form to work on. I guess this means I'm about to be at level 4. Perhaps more details later. Kinda tired, for reasons not very much related to the flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Well, not THAT bad, really. Was a great day of soaring. I haven't been able to find my form for level 4, and the back up copy doesn't have the slope flight on it. (That was maybe 15 years ago!) Therefore, when I get sick of looking for the form (which I think I last saw before I moved, and I'm moving again very soon), I am trying for the second, substitute one hour flight. (The first one was in the '90s, I think)

snip
Well, I guess it's clear I'll get the hour sometime. And after I do I can start on Level 5.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member