HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:55 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,528 Posts
Yes, I had a Paragon. Sadly, she met her end in spectacular, and very public fashion in Visalia. But I have 2 more kits sitting around. It will be a while though before I have the time to build one.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:03 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
I remember you had one Paragon crash, but I had thought you either fixed that one or built another.

Whatever you are flying with, best of luck on your 30 minute.

BTW, if you don't trust your timer, why not run the clock on your TX too? Then you can just glance at it to get an idea of your flight time. Of course, when you want to be high for a 30 minute flight, glancing over at the time can be tricky.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:50 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
OK, here are my thoughts on getting the duration flights:

#1 rule is a rule Ray Hayes tought me. Get High, Stay High. That is the #1 rule. Get High, Stay High. Altitude is your friend here because thermals tend to join and get wider at altitude. Plus, this gives you a lot more altitude to work with if you need to leave the thermal to find another thermal because the plane is going too far down wind for your tastes. During my 30 minute and 60 mintue LSF goal flights, I spent the majority of the time at altitudes where the tail on the Paragon was getting hard to see.

Second, fly a plane you are comfortable flying. For me, this is the Paragon, as it is big and floaty. Although I did one of my 4 60 minute flights with the Allegro Lite (2 meter), it was actually more challanging even though many folks would say the plane is "more modern" with the Drela foil and all. You are going to be high and trying to stay high, so, in my mind this really lends itself nicely to a RES type plane. The Allegro was tricky due to its size.

Third, have your witnesses/spotters spend most of the flight concentrating on also watching your plane. If you get low and need to find lift, then have them worry about watching for birds/other planes/etc. but otherwise the extra eyes on the plane can help in case your plane "winks out" at you or you get sunscrean in your eye or something.

Fourth, try the tasks with friends. One one of my 1 hour flights, Greg from the Muncie club and I did the task at the same time, and we were able to talk to each other and discuss stuff like "I'm doing better over here to the left" or "I think the lift I was in is now gone" kind of thing.

Ryan
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:19 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
I set the timer on my Futaba 9C Super to count down and put it on a switch. At the given time it sounds an alarm. No need to look, and insures an accurate countdown. I'm just an aspirant as I'm new to the LSF. However, I've been using a timer counting up to time my flights to this point just to see how well I've done. Now I use two, one up and one down to show task completion and to get a final flight time.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:02 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
Steve,

Welcome to the LSF program and keep us informed here with how you are doing.

Ryan
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:43 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
Thanks! Will do. I have a question on the spot landing part. Does the "towline" refer to a highstart as a whole or do you not count the tubing as part of the towline?
Last edited by Steve Boone; Mar 14, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
I belive it is the highstart as a whole. Contact the LSF secretary for an exact ruling, if you are curious.

But, it is 300 meters, and if you have a 300+ meter high start then you are an impressive fellow!

Ryan.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:11 PM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
LMAO, He's on vacation in a much warmer climate. Actually I'll be flying with him this summer when he gets back. As well as a level V guy. How lucky can I get for having plenty of help on hand. The 300 meters is max. it can be as short as 75 m ( 246.1' ) for the spot landing. My highstart is 100' tubing and 150' line so it would work sweet to do the spot landings with as it fits on my home airfield.
Last edited by Steve Boone; Mar 14, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:38 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
You know, I thought you might live close to Jim. That is very cool.

I'm trying to be a Club Coordinator for southern Indiana and have a few guys that I'm hoping to get going on the LSF task program this summer. We'll see how that works out. :-)

Ryan
Old Mar 16, 2008, 09:51 PM
2013 US F3K Team Manager
Newbury Park, CA
Joined May 2005
1,003 Posts
OK I went for my 1 hour thermal flight for LSF IV today. Had some shifty wind down on the deck and a pretty constant wind at altitude.

Things looked good around 9:30 which is a bit early if you're looking for the noon balloon, but it looked too good to pass up.

Off the winch and straight into some really good air. Take the up elevator until I can't see the stabs. Flew for around 15 minutes and then the sink cycle started to move through. Got down to around 150 feet when I caught some lift on the field. Struggled with it for a while until it built up really good. Not quite back to "no stab" height, and the next sink cycle comes through. Down to 100 feet and OFB Martin hollers that his 2 meter is going up like crazy over the school. I book over there, I can't get the Sharon engaged properly. I hang on for awhile on some HLG sized stuff down low but the struggle ends with me defeated. Clock reads 43:34...

Well, this is the first Sunday without rain or wind since January, so I can't complain too much. It will just have to happen on another day...

-l
dlgdude is offline Find More Posts by dlgdude
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:39 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
Dude, thanks for the write up. Bummer you did not make it today, but I think you gained valuable experience. It took me a lot of attempts to get my 2K in, but, in the end it was very well worth it. :-)

And, I think you had the right strategy, just today did not work out for you. Next time will.

Ryan
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:54 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,417 Posts
I did my 2K goal-return in 2003 or 2004... Up in California City on a semi-toasty day, flying an F3B ship. We did it in the safest possible fashion - using a Lincoln Town Car as the chase vehicle, with the pilot standing on the passenger door sill hanging onto the drip rail with one hand and the TX with the other. Clocked my plane at over 40 MPH on the return leg.

Just have to do a one-hour thermal flight to finish Level IV. Maybe this year sometime.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:17 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Steve,
You will also be flying with a guy that is starting his L2 over after losing the first start that was 1 contest short of turning in. Had points and place, just one more contest that could have been DNF!!!!
My two 15 minute flights were both over a hour on the first form. You will find that Red Hen is VERY GOOD for lift. I will let you know some of the good spots from the different fields we get to use. I had 27 minutes and 1:25:58 for the L1 flights.
We have the open space to walk the 1K Goal and Return when we get to them.
Some of my task on the 2nd one are signed by Jim and Jack. I am not sure if Tiz, Dave and Bob are in the program or what level they have made if they are.
I was out checking on the farm Sunday, it is still VERY soggy!!

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
LMAO, He's on vacation in a much warmer climate. Actually I'll be flying with him this summer when he gets back. As well as a level V guy. How lucky can I get for having plenty of help on hand. The 300 meters is max. it can be as short as 75 m ( 246.1' ) for the spot landing. My highstart is 100' tubing and 150' line so it would work sweet to do the spot landings with as it fits on my home airfield.
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:04 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,538 Posts
I've heard of this happening before. (losing paperwork) I'm thinking a locked box bolted to the floor of the truck to keep it in. It would be heartbreaking to have to start over when you're that close to completing a level. Even my place is a bit soggy and I live on sandy loam. I flew at my buddy's place yesterday (nitro stuff) and it was flooded in areas.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:33 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Boone
I've heard of this happening before. (losing paperwork) I'm thinking a locked box bolted to the floor of the truck to keep it in. It would be heartbreaking to have to start over when you're that close to completing a level.
I lost my paperwork for L4 and ended up doing the one hour flight four times. And, I put my paperwork for L2 through the washing machine!

These days, we all have printer/scanner combos or at least digital cameras, so now I make backups!

:-)

Ryan