HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:29 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,233 Posts
Open question to all regarding witness's and scores process

Hello all,
i have finished reading the LSF rules and regs but i am still uncertain about
contest results and use of lsf task sign offs.

Here is my basic questions- How do i get credit for the specific tasks during or after the TD contests?

Scenerio-
i go to a T+D contest with the primary intent of LSF task sign off. I finish in middle of the pack of some class, don't crash, don't leave poorer than i arrived, etc.

1) Do i ask the timer sign or initial my LSF task card right then and there(courtiously asking ahead of time) for landing or duration tasks?
2) Would i then follow up with the CD for the second signature for landing or duration task (courtiously asking ahead of time) with the CD assuming all is correct and as-is on the card?
3) OR simply arrange for the time and draft a witness *prior* to time/landing task for LSF task sign off.
3) Regarding best 6 contest results and math, are the web-published
T+D contest scores from a sponsoring club website ok for best-6 results and do i do the math part ahead of time when i send the paperwork for the LSF next-level verifier?

I live here in So. Cal but my Dodgson Windsongs have been idle for @ 15 years while i have been engaged in severe work/freeway therapy. I don't have too much interest in the kilobuck lawn-dart contest experiences but would like to follow up on the LSF path using my 'Songs or RES Marauder(being built now).

thanks to all in advance for any insight or experiences, john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:40 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain

1) Do i ask the timer sign or initial my LSF task card right then and there
If you are talking about the landing tasks for LSF1/2 or the duration tasks for LSF1/2, you simply ask your timer after the flight to sighn the sheet for the landing/duration.

If you are talking about the contest points for L2-L5, simply after the contest ask the CD to sign your contest points area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain
3) Regarding best 6 contest results and math, are the web-published
T+D contest scores from a sponsoring club website ok for best-6 results and do i do the math part ahead of time when i send the paperwork for the LSF next-level verifier?
I have asked the LSF secretary about this in the past and he has said he prefers to have the signature of the contest CD or the club scoring official for the contest points. I think he might accept print outs from web published contest results.

For the math, I'd suggest you should do it as well as check with what the club's math shows. The math is simple:

Take your score / the winners score. This gives you a number equal to or less than 1. So for example, you score 4,000 and the winner scores 5,000 so this number is .8.

Then multiply this by the number of pilots you beat +1. So if you are flying a 10 person contest and come in 5th, this means you beat 5 pilots + 1 (the one is you) so you multiply the .8 times 6. This gives you 4.8.

Now the final step is to multiply this number by 100. So 100 * 4.8 is 480.

As you can see by the math, if you simply go to a big enough contest and score mid pack, you can easily rack up a lot of points by just making the times and getting a few landings with your 'Song or Marauder.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old May 28, 2009, 10:55 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,316 Posts
Today I got an email from the LSF secretary confirming that I have completed L4. Now I guess it is time to start thinking about 8 hour slope flights and 10Ks! I'll post here my prep work and failures and successes.

Ryan
Old May 29, 2009, 05:53 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Today I got an email from the LSF secretary confirming that I have completed L4. Now I guess it is time to start thinking about 8 hour slope flights and 10Ks! I'll post here my prep work and failures and successes.

Ryan
Congratulations Ryan!!
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 29, 2009, 07:02 AM
Temperance, MI
Joined May 2008
13 Posts
Congratulation Ryan!! Keep it going.
Soarnutz is offline Find More Posts by Soarnutz
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:43 PM
LSF 1359
Northwest Florida
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
Level 4 Distance

Good Afternoon,

And that it was at Harold OLF in Beautiful Harold, FL. Today just prior to the lunar noon lull. A Team of great folks made it possible for me to accomplish the 2 Km or 1.24 Mile distance and return for LSF Level IV. Thanks to Ed Lawrence, Rick Lake, Joe Foster and Jeremiah Pitts. Joe was the transportation coordinator and very accomplished driver of his own Jeep. Joe also supplied an awesome "hose monster" high start to launch the Topaz S. Rick was the spotter, the extra set of eyes and a major encourager. Ed and Jeremiah were the turnaround point spotters. Ed also provided the GPS and smart cell phone, that had GPS and he was also the communcations coordinator. Jeremiah helped Ed with the logistics. Thanks to the other folks at the field for being great support. I realize over and over how many helpful and fun folks we have in this fantastic sport. I should have some pictures to post later.

Sailfree
sailfree is offline Find More Posts by sailfree
Last edited by sailfree; Jun 08, 2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:47 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,209 Posts
Congrats! I was amazed how much fun it is to fly and support a cross country event... we have a few 10K's to knock out this summer, it's gonna be a blast!
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jun 07, 2009, 05:54 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,555 Posts
I am flying an Eastern Soaring League contest weekend. Two contests in two days. 33 pilots on Saturday. Not sure how many will be there today.

While I know a class place in Sportsman does not count as a place, it should give me plenty of points. I have not seen the final numbers but I will likely have placed overall ahead of about 15 pilots.

Conditions were great. We are flying Man on Man off 4 winches.

Will let you know how it goes today, but for any of you East Coast guys looking for contests, ESL holds over 30 a year from VA to MA in both winch and hand launch gliders. Great way to make your contest requirements. www.flyesl.com
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 08, 2009, 12:56 AM
LSF 1359
Northwest Florida
Joined Dec 2006
220 Posts
Team Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfree
Good Afternoon,

And that it was at Harold OLF in Beautiful Harold, FL. Today just prior to the lunar noon lull. A Team of great folks made it possible for me to accomplish the 2 Km or 1.24 Mile distance and return for LSF Level IV. Thanks to Ed Lawrence, Rick Lake, Joe Foster and Jeremiah Pitts. Joe was the transportation coordinator and very accomplished driver of his own Jeep. Joe also supplied an awesome "hose monster" high start to launch the Topaz S. Rick was the spotter, the extra set of eyes and a major encourager. Ed and Jeremiah were the turnaround point spotters. Ed also provided the GPS and smart cell phone, that had GPS and he was also the communcations coordinator. Jeremiah helped Ed with the logistics. Thanks to the other folks at the field for being great support. I realize over and over how many helpful and fun folks we have in this fantastic sport. I should have some pictures to post later.

Sailfree
Team Picture as promised.
sailfree is offline Find More Posts by sailfree
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:47 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I am flying an Eastern Soaring League contest weekend. Two contests in two days. 33 pilots on Saturday. Not sure how many will be there today.

While I know a class place in Sportsman does not count as a place, it should give me plenty of points. I have not seen the final numbers but I will likely have placed overall ahead of about 15 pilots.

Conditions were great. We are flying Man on Man off 4 winches.

Will let you know how it goes today, but for any of you East Coast guys looking for contests, ESL holds over 30 a year from VA to MA in both winch and hand launch gliders. Great way to make your contest requirements. www.flyesl.com
OK, finished pretty well. I won't report class standing since LSF does not recognize that.

SKSS June 6/7

Saturday -

90.24 X 15= 1353 pts

Sunday

90.06 X 15 = 1350 pts

So I have 2703 points toward my Level 3 contest requirements of 4500 pts and 2 contests in against 6 required. So far so good.

I am in contest mode right now so contests is what I am focused upon. Will work the other tasks as I have time.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:59 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,316 Posts
Wow, great work Ed. You are a good pilot. Outscoring 14 guys at an ESL contest and scoring 90% of the winners score is pretty impressive in my book! You'll have this L3 in no time, unlike me who I think took 5 years or so.

Ryan
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:15 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Meanwhile, in Illinois at the south SOAR field ....

Looked to be a nice day out, so I headed to the field, no real plans, other then to put up a couple flights on my 2 meter, and my RES plane in anticipation of tomorrows club contest.

First bungee launch with my Topaz, I hit lift pretty quick, and skied out within a few minutes. Ben Roberto told me to bring it down to launch height, and start over, so I did some whoopdee-do's (or as I like to call it, cashed the thermal paycheck) down to a few hundred feet, and started the search again. Conditions looked great, so I asked one of the guys to start a watch, and I set to working on my 30 minute flight. After I got past the 30 minutes, we hatched a plan to knock out the 1k goal and return, so I started walking east across the sod farm, and had Ben set out in his SUV with his cell phone in hand. I was already way high again, so within a few minutes I got the cell phone call that I had passed the 1K point (by several 10ths of a mile, it turns out I was up high and he didn't see me cross right away....).. another minute or so heading back in a shallow dive, and a landing right next to the winch, and my level three tasks are now complete!

And the fun didn't end there either! After a bit of prodding, we talked Karl Miller into giving his 10K a shot for his Level V. We popped the topper off of my truck and got it ready while Karl got his trusty red Icon prepped for the flight, he launched, and we were off to the races....

Well, except that the first few miles, took a very long time. The lift was plentiful, but it topped off like there was an inversion layer over us or something. Karl could get to maybe twice launch height, but no higher, so we started down the road, circling alot to keep over launch height. After a few miles, the conditions improved, and Karl was able to climb higher between runs, and the pace quickened up quite a bit. The last mile or so, the lift was huge, and we ran out to the turn around area, thermaled up just a bit, and ran for home. The run from home was through some really strong lift, and we ran the last 4 miles running over 55 mph trying to keep up with the Icon.

Ben Roberto was spotting air for Karl on his flight, and was liaison between Karl in the back of the truck, and me up in the cab. I might also mention this run was Karls very first attempt, and was done old school style, no vario!!!

All in all, a good day of impromptu LSF soaring!

Steve S
aka South Side Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
Last edited by StevenatorLTFO; Jun 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: edited to add hero shots :D
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:18 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Nov 2003
1,989 Posts
Lex and Kai finished their LSF 2K at Cal Vally XC...

More story: http://bayrc.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5155

-Kai
Kai@UCSB is offline Find More Posts by Kai@UCSB
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:49 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Man, thats kinda like driving a finishing nail with a sledgehammer isn't it? LOL Congrats on your flight!!!
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,316 Posts
Wow, nice work, Steve and Kai (and Karl by proxy of Steve's post). You guys rock!

Ryan