HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:17 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,209 Posts
Labor day weekend was the target to bang out one even two 1hr flights for my LSFIV. I've flow over an hour on several occasions, so I didn't see this a a daunting task.

Weather has been interesting here. Moist unstable air is coming from the gulf, and on Saturday, things began to boil around 11:00 and within an hour, lift was overdeveloped with 70% cloud cover. Good for 7 flights in the 15 to 35 min range, terrific flying actually, with 4 or 5 hard fought saves from less then 10 feet.

So the gang decides, lets go again on Sunday, but we'll get out a little earlier with the hope for better conditions for the "simple one hour flight".

This morning conditions were about the same, we got off about a half a half hour earlier, the first launch, was showing signs of good air, so I gave it about 15 min, got a drink and stepped up to the winch.

The Ava is tuned nicely these days, and she rotated dutifly and up she went near vertical to a nice ping off the top and a respectable zoom right into lift, timer on.

Two turns and it's cored and up we go ... and up and up. In fact within 5 min I'm getting to a point where I'm worried about losing site of the airplane, that generally translates to about 2000 ft, which is also where the growing cloud base is developing.

Not wanting to give anything away I start to flirt with the bottom of small but growing cloud and am forced to pull spoiler,first a crack, then, it's full spoiler, nose down, and the Ava is now hold it's own, STILL not coming down like I expected. This dance goes on for another 45 min, flirting with losing site, neck hurts ... tick, tick, tick.

Clouds continue to develop, cool breezes are prevailing, the wet blanket is descending upon the field. Now I'm scratching still about launch height, but things are not like they were only 30 min ago. Five min to go...launch height, gopher pharts..... scratch scratch scratch..... land

59:49 .... 11 seconds short...

Maybe tomorrow
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:06 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Dan,

Next time you are 11 seconds short, break wind. An Ava can go at least 11 seconds on the after shock of taco or bean gas. Put that TexMex stuff to work for you!

We had about a dozen flyers out today. I was working on Level II stuff. Put in 6 1.5M landings in 10 attempts with my Thermal Dancer.

I was not doing well finding lift today until I put some weight on the tail of my Thermal Dancer in the form of a dime and a nickel taped to the tail. After I did that, I hooked some lift and make one of my 15 minute flights. I think I could have done 30 minutes easily in that lift, but after 15 I threw out the spoilers from about 1000 feet and went back to making my landings.

I wanted to have the thermal flights and the landings completed before I start working on the contest points.

So, overall a productive LSF day.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 02, 2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:37 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,209 Posts
If I would have launched.... 11 seconds earier, if that last turn when I got a little slow and lost a few feet ... yada yada yada.

It was a terrific day of soaring with my buddies. We're actually coming into a terrific time of year here in North Texas. SHOULD be able to get the flights in, 2K goal and return, and maybe some contest points with the LSS next week and the TNT to follow.
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Sep 03, 2008, 06:52 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
I think the closest I came to the hour without making it was 58 minutes with a Gnome 2M. I think it was mental fatigue or something. My flying was degenerating toward the end. The flight started with a low save at about 3 minutes.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
I know this thread is about the performance tasks, but this weekend at a contest I managed to score 823 points. Not bad, now I just need to score 1,200 or so on my next contest and I have L4 complete.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:45 AM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Congrats Ryan, your getting close!

I still need a 30 minute thermal (or the slope flight) and the baby cross country, then I can start working on 4

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:53 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Way to go Ryan. You are almost there!

If I work real hard, eat my Wheaties and practice like crazy, I hope to be where you are in about 3 years. Want to wait for me?

No? I didn't think so.

You should be a level 5 by then.
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 09, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 05:17 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
I know this thread is about the performance tasks, but this weekend at a contest I managed to score 823 points. Not bad, now I just need to score 1,200 or so on my next contest and I have L4 complete.

Ryan
Nice!
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
I received this email from LSF this morning. Started my day out good.

S.T.

Stanton:
Congratulations on achieving Level III. Your voucher has been processed and recorded and you may begin the tasks for the next level. Your achievement will be posted next month on the UPGRADES page of the LSF website at www.silentflight.org
Please email me if you have any questions. A new voucher is in the mail.
Good luck on the next level,
Jim Deck Secretary, LSF
Stantem is offline Find More Posts by Stantem
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:44 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Yeah, Jim is real good about the emails and updating that website. He sent me an email on when I completed L3 back in 2003.

Congrats Stantem on completing your L3. And best of luck on your plans/working on L4.

Ryan
Old Sep 12, 2008, 07:48 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Started My level V with a 8 hr 3 minute slope flight at Soar Utah 2008 over the labor day weekend.

It looks like just about everyone had a great weekend.

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Sep 12, 2008, 08:50 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Oh, now that IS sweet. Congratulations Clarence. What did you use to fly the 8 hours?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 09:03 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
What did you use to fly the 8 hours?
I'm betting a Marauder....
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:15 AM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Yep that was a safe bet the Marauder has tons of room and is very stable that is My favorite RES ship.
But I flew Marauder #2, Number 1 only has a 1200 mah battery pack in it but when I built #2 I put 4000 mah sub C cells in it for the 8 hours.
I found out after I only needed about 1800 mah for the flight.
on board I had 2 HS-55 for the spoilers and 2 HS-65 for rudder and elevator and I also had a Multiplex Vario running (never needed it) and for radio I put in a 2.4 RD 8000,
on the transmitter I put a 2000 mah 3 cell lipo which gave me more time than needed.
I found out that the transmitter only used 190 mah to the hour, I am starting to like the 2.4 systems for the freedom of no channel interference.

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:03 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Good to know how much you used on that 8 hour flight. I was wondering how big a battery I would need when the time comes. 1800 is nothing.