HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 03:27 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46
Thought I had my LSF IV 60 min in the bag today,
We had a few locals do 55+ minutes, too. Seemed almost a requirement before you were allowed to finish your 60, that you had do complete a 57min flight.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2008, 03:47 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
OK, guys, I am on the road to Level V. Of course I have to get through Levels I-IV first. Did 4 landings and one Thermal on Sunday. Hope to get the send thermal flight and the last landing before the end of the week so I can send out my form this week.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 25, 2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 04:17 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,309 Posts
Nice work Ed! That is why I started this thread, for folks to post updates on thier peformance tasks accomplishments. Good work and Hopefully you'll be working on L2 goals this weekend! Then, you can probably get lots of L2 contest points at your upcoming Long Island contest.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:08 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
OK everyone, I am looking for a little advise. I am working on my spot landings for my level 1 tasks. I must admit that they are proving much harder than I thought they would be. I am having a hard time judging my distance and speed when the plane is coming straight at me on the approach. I find that more often than not I am overshooting the target. I do better having the plane going accross my field of view but that would not be the conditions at a contest so I am trying to do them straight on.

I am thinking that my spoilers will help here but I am not sure how they will affect the planes descent at low altitude, i.e lower than 5 feet. I am not flying one of those fancy composite jobs so the tent peg landing is not an option.

I do not have anyone at my local flying field that can help me here because they all fly motor planes. Would some one give me a pointer or two on how and/or when to use spoilers on my approach? I am usually on a good flight path to the target I just need to get the plane on the ground without flying over the tape. My little Riser likes to float.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 29, 2008, 07:38 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence
OK everyone, I am looking for a little advise. I am working on my spot landings for my level 1 tasks. I must admit that they are proving much harder than I thought they would be. I am having a hard time judging my distance and speed when the plane is coming straight at me on the approach. I find that more often than not I am overshooting the target. I do better having the plane going accross my field of view but that would not be the conditions at a contest so I am trying to do them straight on.

I am thinking that my spoilers will help here but I am not sure how they will affect the planes descent at low altitude, i.e lower than 5 feet. I am not flying one of those fancy composite jobs so the tent peg landing is not an option.

I do not have anyone at my local flying field that can help me here because they all fly motor planes. Would some one give me a pointer or two on how and/or when to use spoilers on my approach? I am usually on a good flight path to the target I just need to get the plane on the ground without flying over the tape. My little Riser likes to float.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
I am no expert but I think I can help you here.

Before you try to complete the task, play with the plane. Do a BUNCH of launch and lands. Forget the thermals.

Launch, fly two circuits around the field and land coming at you. Don't try to hit the tape so much as get used to the approach. Try different speeds. Try different amounts of spoiler. Your spoilers are there to help you with precision landings, just get used to how much spoiler and when.

Just play. Make it a game.

Come in at different heights. How high do you have to be to land in a general area consistently, without the spoilers?

Now, try adding a LITTLE spoiler. How does that impact the landing? Do it a bunch of times.

Now, try adding a LOT of spoiler. How does that impact the landing? Do it a bunch of times.

Just play. Don't worry about the tape.

Do you have a computer radio? Have you set up spoiler to elevator compensation? Use the flap to elevator mix. Same thing, you just may need to use negative numbers.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:58 AM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence

Wayne,

Everyone flies planes differently, but I tend to fly spoiler planes like a "dumper". What I do, is come in straight towards the spot without spoilers at all. I use the last 10 seconds to keep the thing lined up with the spot (you should be lined up and coming in straight before that 10 seconds), and then in that last 10 seconds use blips of spoiler to bleed off altitude to dump the thing on the spot. If you have the elevator compensation setup so that full spoiler the plane still keeps on flying level just drops at a much higher sink rate, then you can do that kind of thing.

BTW, I use the reference of "10 seconds" because I live in the country, and that is how we reference distance. As in, that restaraunt, that is about half an hour awa. But it works out for your glider because your glider has a different glide ratio than mine than another guys, but 10 seconds on final leg is about an appropriate amount of distance/hight to give yourself to get the thing in a usable/repeatable pattern. If that 10 seconds is 100 feet away and 10 feet up, then that is what is appropriate.

Basically, what I do is plan to overshoot a little, like you are right now overshooting, and then at the end, say 5 feet before the spot I use the spoilers to dump the plane on the ground.

One reason you are probably overshooting is because in the ground effect, the plane gets more efficient and actually has a higher glide ratio. That can make us tend to overshoot. Dumping the spoilers stops that ground effect from happening as much and dumps you near the spot. At least near enough for L1.

Ryan
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:27 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
My problem is that I tend to come in nice, then panic that I am going to overshoot and drop short. I do it ALL THE TIME. I could kick myself.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:39 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Thank you both for the input. I will give your advise a try this weekend and hopefully have some additional accomplishments to report next week. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:57 AM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenatorLTFO
This weekend, up on the SOAR field in Chicago, one of our fellow RCG members, knocked out his Level one in just over 24 hours (that pesky can't fly the thermal tasks on the same day rule), so the LSF fold has grown again! Way to go Hogan!!!

Steve

Yesterday, Hogan put the finishing touches on his L2 paperwork!!!

On to level three for my buddy now!!!!

Way to go Hogan!!!!!
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:13 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Level 1 completed and mailed yesterday. Sunday I start on Level II.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:20 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,209 Posts
Another few attempts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevo
We had a few locals do 55+ minutes, too. Seemed almost a requirement before you were allowed to finish your 60, that you had do complete a 57min flight.
Headed out to try again today, temps in the high 90's all weekend, hope to bang two 1 HR flights this weekend....
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Aug 30, 2008, 03:45 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,309 Posts
Great work guys! Good Job Ed on finishing the L1. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Ryan
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:38 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
re landing technique:
I try to put my glider in a position so that with half spoilers it will glide at the appropriate angle to hit the spot. If I get that stabilized early in the approach, then any adjustments will be small and it'll be easier to hit the spot. I've made good landings other ways, but this way gives you better chances. It does take some practice, though, particularly so that you don't end up coming in too hot or else hit a bit of sink and just die and run out of energy.

I try to do something similar with flaps but also try to keep my speed up a bit so I can pull them in to glide further without dropping out of the sky.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:43 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,222 Posts
My 2 Cents

First, When you have a good amount of altitude, deploy the spoilers and see what happens. If your radio has elevator mixing to the spoilers (usually up) play with it until the plane descends at a comfortable angle for you.
Then you can start landing practice. This would include a pattern just like the full size boys do, down wind, base and final.
After you have that part working well start counting down each of the legs until you get good at hitting the spot. The count will vary with the wind conditions. A talking timer from Radio Shack will help.
You might try standing to the side far enough to be clear of your wing tip so if you are hot or long the plane can slide by you instead of at you, it takes some of the panic out of "It is coming straight at me!!"
This is advice with bit of modification was given to me by a pretty good pilot and since then when I follow this practice my landings have improved greatly.

Joe
Now I need contest points to finish Level II
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:53 AM
founder of the SSP
Walkerton, Indiana
Joined Jul 2004
1,554 Posts
Congratulations Ed and Hogan! After a day of flying and socializing, my landings are complete. Now I just need contest points to finish Level II.
Steve Boone is offline Find More Posts by Steve Boone