Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:19 PM
Suspended Account
ne
Joined Aug 2007
68 Posts
Discussion
6 foot twin boom slowstick AP machine!

I started building this plane after my original camera slow stick crashed due to a wing snap in a dive the camera was Ok fortunately but the rest of the plane was beyond repair.

The wing is built up out of 3 and 5mm depron foam with aluminum tubes and carbon fiber inserts that let it split into three pieces. Each section is screwed to the one next to it and the complete piece is rubber banded to the wing stock slowstick wing mounts.

For power i'm going to use a turnigy C3542-1000 outrunner and two 3s 2250s in parallel and a turnigy 60a speed control. even though the motor probably wont draw more than 35 amps, the BEC will have to power eight 9g servos: 2 rudder, 2 elevator, 2 aileron, 1 flap, 1 camera. i've been waiting for months for the servos to come from hong kong due to a crystal on backorder that i later discovered was the wrong type!

the aspect ratio of the wing is around 7:1 which should be a big improvement over the stock slowsitck wing which is more like 4:1. It's also much thinner at around 3/4" thick compared to 1 1/4". Another huge improvement over the original is how the camera mount is built into the wing so that no drag is added. With these mods i should be able to get it up to at least 1200ft agl, assuming i can see that far. it should also fly longer on a charge so i'll be able to take pictures more efficiently and hopefully make a real profit off of.
fizzledrix is offline Find More Posts by fizzledrix
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2008, 01:03 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Folsom, CA
Joined May 2002
2,518 Posts
Nice looking platform!

Hey, if you don't want "quad" front gear, modify them like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=752837
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:19 PM
Troy
Marion, MI
Joined Oct 2007
464 Posts
Nice design, I like it. Now lets see it fly.

Troy
Envision is offline Find More Posts by Envision
Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:46 PM
Suspended Account
ne
Joined Aug 2007
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade
Nice looking platform!

Hey, if you don't want "quad" front gear, modify them like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=752837

thats a good idea. i never thought to link the two legs; that would add a lot of strength and get rid of some drag of extra wheels. I hope to get mine flying as soon as the servos arrive.

can you post some specs of your plane?

how did you make the wing tips?

fizzle
Last edited by fizzledrix; Mar 12, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:57 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Folsom, CA
Joined May 2002
2,518 Posts
If you mean spec's on the "Depron Dragon" go to this thread... it's all I've got

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=depron+dragon
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:07 AM
Suspended Account
ne
Joined Aug 2007
68 Posts
Cool!

I just got the servos and extentions today and I hope to have this thing flying over the weekend. more pictures on the way.

fizzle
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:43 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
Looking very good! Can't wait to see her fly!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird