HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2003, 08:24 PM
Raptors Rule.....
Azle Texas
Joined Feb 2002
106 Posts
4th Mustang flight----OOOPS!

I took my son down to the field to fly his intruder and he had a ball....neat little plane just needs more duration.

THen the PICo of course....

Then I decided to fly the mustang again....what a flight. I checked out all the surfaces and things looked great. Punched the throttle and I got airborne...I immediately noticed that the plane was porposing.....the plane was very unstable unles I was at full throttle.....then every time I went into a turn my elevator inputs didn't seem to have enough oomph and I continually found myself losing altitude. At one point I was all over the sky with over corrections and eventually I found myself staring at the Mustang smacking the ground and cart weeling.

After many explicatives....(muffled of course!) I walked over and the only damage was the canopy had popped off the frame, and the wing bolt busted. Both very easy fixes and a testament to how tough this bird is.

I couldn't understand why the plane acted so unstable compared to this morning until I noticed that my battery pack wasn't all the way forward. Closer inspection revealed that wear on the foam had loosened the fit of the pack and it would slide back and forth just by tipping the plane back and forth. I was fighting an everchanging CG!!! I'll fix that!!!!

This was not an enjoyable flight!!!! I'm very discouraged now.......at least she is in one peice!!!
brent347 is offline Find More Posts by brent347
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2003, 08:52 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
brent347 -

You shouldn't be discouraged, be happy. You flew an airplane that shouldn't be flyable and got it down with very little damage. Stuff some foam or velcro around the battery and make sure it's tight and go fly it again. You did a great job getting it down, I done a lot worse. Heck, just today I crashed my Slow Stick bipe because I didn't change the model# in my computer radio. Found that Slow Sticks don't like to fly with elevon mixing on.

The P-51 is a good flying plane, don't give up on it.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Jan 05, 2003, 08:56 PM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
Im glad it lived. Reminds me of a story of a little 15 seater plane over florida when the luggage holder popped loose and the planes CG kept shifting! They made it back luckily. Ill make sure my battery doesnt move !

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:47 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,356 Posts
I had something funny happen with my mustang. it was about the 3 flight trying to work out all the problems and everytime i remove the battery pack it unplugs the motor and ESC so i had to take the motor out and conect them back. Well I took off and was climbing on up fast with a 8 cell pack and all the suddend the motor shot completely off the plane. I thought for sure it was a goner being it was about 50 ft in the air but it just spun down to the ground and caused not even a scratch. I had to laugh about that for a little while then i put the screw back in the motor mount and few it some more. Just to add to how tough this plane is, I have had some Strait in full throttle crashes because of some BAD radio glitches and its still going good.

Mike
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall