HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 05, 2003, 08:10 PM
South Berwick, Maine
Joined May 2002
445 Posts
Going with the Corona...

I am electing to go with the Corona for my first heli. . .

Iíve spent a ton of time researching this and I have to admit that it was a close call between the Corona and the Pic Standard/Pro. The funny this is that they both came out to about the same overall total cost!

After a little searching, I found that I had three unopened boxes of Hitec HS-81 servos (woo hoo) which apparently were destined for a Lazy Bee that has not been finished as of yet! (Again, another funny thing is that I found a plane with HS-55ís in it that I could rip out as I never use the plane, the pic uses the HS-55ís). I am ordering servo gear replacements just in case (a long trip to the nearest hobby shop).

Here is the list of hopefuls:

From LMH:
Corona Basic Kit (No ESC or motor) - $199.99
Thread Lock (LMC1-54090) Ė $3.49

From Tower Hobbies:
Kyosho Atomic Force 17 x 2 motor [LXW934] - $19.99
Deans Ultra Connectors [LXKX39] - 4pks @ $5.48

From bydusa (www.bydusa.com)
Battery Pack 2pk 3000mAh NiMH (Airsoft Rifle Pack) - $50.99 + $7.17 s&h

From Helihut:
Futaba GY240 Gyro - $95.00 + $18 s&h

From E Cubed R/C:
Pegasus 35P ESC - $42.00 + $5 s&h

I plan on calling LMH tomorrow (Monday) to find out if I get an assortment of the blade grips in the kit (I want to have them all).

I have never had a gyro before and am hoping that the GY240 will work with my Hitec servos. I do not see anything indicating it will not (I am mainly concerned with the connectors, I know that a lot of people are using this gyro with Hitec servos).

There are some other things that I will need as well such as dowels & ping pong balls and spray paint (not into the stickers). A trick that I use with the airplanes is to buy auto paint as it is usually cheaper and I have a lot more choices (no hazard shipping fees either).

-=SkyHawke=-
SkyHawke is offline Find More Posts by SkyHawke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:01 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
nice.. i have been researching and i am about to get ready to order here in a week or 2.. about those battery packs.. are they good? That is a good deal from what I see.. I wonder how good they will work with the Corona..
gmaster is offline Find More Posts by gmaster
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:03 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Better fire up the search engine again and save some bucks. Call Roffee TV and Hobby before you throw the $$$$$ at LMH. Out the door price on the basic kit is $175.00 and they carry a lot of the other things you want for lower prices. They fly what they sell and know what mods most of us are using.

roffeetvhobby@byesville.net

Nothing in it for me. Just a satisfied customer that likes to get the best bang for the buck.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:12 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Hello Skyhawke. Lots of us are in your same position of putting together our equipment. I started about 2.5 months ago and have my TMM ESC, Basic kit, Eclipse 7 Radio, Atomic Force, GY240Gyro, paint, glue, locktite, lube, pinion, extra blades... I'm still waiting for the "go-ahead" to order my Triton Charger, Batteries, and Reciever/Servos.

In the mean time, I wondered over to the Parkflyer site and got interested in the more economical Tiger Moth. It set my Corona buying budget list out by a month, but I had to have it and it has been great!
I'll stop before Fred moves this post to the Parkflyer site .

Good luck
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:13 PM
South Berwick, Maine
Joined May 2002
445 Posts
Hoverup you get around. . .

Hoverup, you do get around, don't yah?

I just replied to the RCUniverse post. . .

Thanks again...

Gmaster, I found a few links here and at RCUniverse regarding the specific packs with the Atomic Force motor. I am only ordering things that I have researched and found favorable posts on.

I wanted to post all of this because it is like a mini-faq of what to order based on these threads. Since you pretty much cannot order everything from litemachines (they do not sell the battery packs) it was a little confusing to have to go search this out.

The Atomic Force motor looks like a really good fit (and nice price as well). If you are waiting for a couple of weeks, check this thread and I will post updates as to where I am...

-=SkyHawke=-
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:18 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
sweet... thanks.. i am subscribing to this thread...
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:18 PM
South Berwick, Maine
Joined May 2002
445 Posts
Rob try the Wingo . . .

Rob,

I never thought I'd be into a "Beer cooler Flyer" but I bought the wingo from hobby-lobby last year so I could fly in the soccer field in our development. It was a very good investment (like $90).

I bought the reduction gear and tried a few flights without it and then with it (never took it back off). It went together in about one evening and is the only airworthy aircraft I have left from last season. I am normally a nitro nut, but to fly them, I have to go to the field (which is a mosquito-ridden salt marsh).

I have three battery packs for the Wingo (7 & 8 cell 600mAh Nicad & 1100 mAh NiMh). I get about 8 mins on the smaller packs and about 10 on the 1100.

I have taken the wingo camping and flown it in a few campground fields. It usually draws a crowd.

I cannot attest for its repairability as I have never seriously crashed it. I have stuck it in a tree when trying to land it in front of my house but there was no damage (and that was after I had to beat the thing out of the tree about 18' up).

OK, enough of the off-topic stuff. . .

Take care,

-=SkyHawke=-
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:24 PM
Victim of Gravity
Cary, NC
Joined Sep 2001
814 Posts
You might check Heliproz (www.heliproz.com) for the GY240 as well. The price on their website is $139, but they're probably selling it for less than, and they have free shipping. Plus, I think the GY240 you'd get from Helihutt may not have a US warranty (ie. it's gray market). I'd give Heliproz a call, and at least check on the price.

KC
K.C. is offline Find More Posts by K.C.
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:46 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
All of your choices look good.

The only one that's suspect is the bydusa battery packs. I don't think those have been used in helicopters before, and nobody knows if they will work well or last a long time.

I would look for a battery pack using Sanyo CP2400s or RC2400s instead.

There's lots of places that have good prices on those, including:

http;//www.fxaeromodels.com
http://www.eflightpacks.com

and for loose cells if you decide to build your own packs:

http://www.dynamoelectrics.com
http://www.batterystation.com
http://www.nicdlady.com
etc

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:50 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Regarding blade grips....

The Corona comes with two 4 degree blade grips and two 6 degree blade grips.

I just looked in Lite Machine's online ordering system, and those are the only ones available, so yes...it comes with a full set of blade grips.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jan 05, 2003, 09:56 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
i contacted www.batterystation.com about battery packs and they will build them for $5 more.. basically choose the cells you want.. I was lookin at these.. 7 Sanyo HRSC 2600mah NiMH
individual for $4.25/each then add $5 to the total for them to make your pack.. choose the configuration you want your pack to use on their battery pack configurations page.. Then give them a call to order.. They gave me their new order hotline phone number 800-893-8942.
Old Jan 05, 2003, 10:48 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,858 Posts
Greetings,

I am also new to helis, just siming right now. I too researched myself to death, and came up with the same list of componates.
Trying to get the most bang for the buck.

I just got my Corona kit from Roffee and am very please with their sale, support and prices.

I am going to run the Atomic Force/CC35P for a while until I have the extra funds for the new Astro 803H4T 020 motor and controller for the Corona, which I spent on a built Voyager E.
I need to sell more from the hanger next week.

From what I read on those 2600's at the batterystation web page, it looks like a bulk buy of 100 or more for the $4.25 price.
I will have to give a call and verify, if so that would be about $35 for a pack. Best price I know of.

From what I have read, these are great cells. They are capable of pulling far more amps than the Corona needs. The really cool things about the HR-SC cells, is they can take a higher charge rate than previous nihms, and there usable capacity per rating is far closer than the 3000, or 3300's.

I would really stick with proven batteries.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2003, 06:36 AM
South Berwick, Maine
Joined May 2002
445 Posts
BYD Batteries. . .

I mentioned earlier that everything I am ordering came from the forums. Check out this post on the battery pack:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=BYD

The price is right.

As for batterystation, I emailed them last week and was told that they were out of the GP3300's for a few more weeks. I really liked the $5 pack-building fee as it would take me a while to build them (correctly). . .

The HR-SC2600's are $5 ea when not bought in bulk.

Thanks...

-=SkyHawke=-
Old Jan 06, 2003, 07:39 AM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
well like you said.. you should have everything by the weekend.. if you get them and they seem to work great.. then as bob barker says.. the price is right..

i wonder if those packs will work with the Hacker brushless?
Old Jan 06, 2003, 08:21 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Like hoverup said. Talk to Roffee about all the stuff you need. They may have it and their prices seem as good or better then most others. Buying from one place saves a great deal on shipping. Ordering from all the places you have listed would total about $40-50 in shipping. You could probably cut that down by more then one half by ordering from one place.

Also, don't forget to order a LMH pinion as it does NOT come with the most basic (motor-less) kit. It is a 9 tooth pinion that will work with the AF motor. The LMH pinion is nice because it is very long and will give full contact with the main gear.

Order LMH grease and heavy oil also. That way you know it is plastic safe and the right stuff. Its only a few dollars each
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Closed Thread