HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:38 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Discussion
Interesting poll over at RCU...should slow movin EDFs fly with fast turbine jets?

Looks like a little foam EDF BAE Hawk took out Thomas Singers big Fiberclassics Mig 29 turbine model at Florida Jets last weekend.

A coworker of mine started this poll over on RCU....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71..._1/key_/tm.htm

In the aerospace industry, we would call that a cost effective kill...

(JUST KIDDING, of course.....)
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:20 AM
Suspended Account
I live in Floppy Town
Joined Feb 2008
17 Posts
Get your Facts Strait.... the poll is for the following

Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

I say that Stinkin Foamys that fly within the park flyer rules (see ama website)do not belong anywhere near High Dollar Turbine Jets.....
They should go fly in the Park Flyer area of the field, that's if your field has a park flyer area.

Now on another note, High performance EDF's (that fly well over 100MHP) are ok to fly in the same airspace as High Dollar Turbines, just as long as they still yield to them 200mph suckers from time to time.

But Just remember there is a time and place for all sorts of flying, you just need to know how to judge when it's appropriate to go and take your jet up, it's definatly not appropriate to fly a Foamy EDF when you have a someone in the air with a Hot Spot zooming by at 220MPH. And i know for sure that most turbine guys don't fly when there is a zoo of foam and or balsa (especialy those 3D guys) flying.

Gene
FlopyJet is offline Find More Posts by FlopyJet
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:26 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,508 Posts
Mid-airs happen at all fly-ins. Would he have felt better if he`d have had a midair with another turbine?

Maybe it would be a good idea at jet rallies to have a time period for sub 100mph planes and one for 100+ planes. Or some other speed break point.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:43 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
I think that accidents like what happened at Florida Jets will continue if not spark a whole new Hate for foamy EDF's. Most guys I talk to that are not friends when I have gone to jet rally's kinda snub you off or at least me, When they ask if I fly jets and I say yeah sorta I fly EDF's. Thats not a jet is usually the answer I have gotten. I remember too at the last rally I tried to talk to a guy that had an EDF conversion and seemed like he was almost embarrased to talk about it.

Bottom line is Foamy EDF's or EDF's period are kinda looked down on at least in my experiences. The some of guys I fly with at my local college also fly at the AMA field usually take the gas or turbine stuff out there and the electrics to the school. Seem odd?

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Mar 11, 2008, 03:11 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
Ok read through it and changed my opinion in it! lol I think it sucks it happened but! if one spends the big bucks on there plane its up to them to protect there investment and properly judge the environment the plan to fly in.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Last edited by monkamarm2000; Mar 11, 2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:09 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,915 Posts
If the foam model has a similar or better airspeed than a turbine model,I can see no problem sharing the same airspace.
What I don't like is 3D hovering (regardless if foam or huge composite) hovering around when flying conventional planes.

Also,as pointed out earlier,it could have crashed into another turbine.That is sometimes an aspect of this hobby which is unpalatable and can happen anywhere.

Personally, I wouldn't fly an expensive turbine with anyone else flying,simple really.
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:00 AM
John Green
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2007
617 Posts
And on the other hand.... we each have the right to fly our planes... and we each have the responsibility to fly them safely.

It is the responsibility of the pilot to make sure he or she operates the aircraft in a safe manner, and if that means slowing down around other aircraft, or flying higher or at the other end of the field then that's the way it goes.

Hovering aircraft, especially helicopters over the runway or 3D's near the runway, or an errant bird are all obstacles which are possible crash causers and we expect pilots of fast aircraft to have enough control over their aircraft to avoid them. If they can't then they should stay on the ground and admire their aircraft.

I fly jets and some of the fastest aircraft at our field so I can sympathize with the problem of slower aircraft in the airspace, and I don't like it when I get midaired, but that is why they are called accidents. It still is the pilots job to be aware of his surroundings and operate his aircraft accordingly.

I could be wrong, but isn't that why we have the waiver for jets, proof that we can operate a fast high power plane safely. Perhaps a spotter?
PlumberJohn is offline Find More Posts by PlumberJohn
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:08 AM
Registered EDF abuser
Michigan
Joined Jan 2006
1,043 Posts
Dosen`t look that bad?
Scarey is offline Find More Posts by Scarey
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
United States, NC, Rowland
Joined Dec 2001
165 Posts
I was there, it does not matter how expensive the planes are or how fast they fly. We have spotters that are supposed to help us avoid this type of situation. There were turbo props flying at this event as well and that T45 foamy was comparable in speed to the slower turbo prop I saw fly. Say what you want, the large and expensive Mig 29 crew was at fault here. The air space was not crowded at all due to the high winds. I was suprised at how well all the foamy jets handled the 30+ mph wind gusts.
jentres is offline Find More Posts by jentres
Last edited by jentres; Mar 11, 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:50 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,668 Posts
Don't let the day come when contest directors tell me I can't fly my EDF, foam, balsa, composite or otherwise. If they are advertising a jet rally then all jets fly. Now if they advertise turbines only I would know not to show up!

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:43 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,739 Posts
Everyone was at fault in this accident. But the fact remains that the Foam Hawk was flying downwind over the runway OPPOSITE THE PATTERN!
If hawk pilot had maintained the pattern, the accident would not have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentres
I was there, it does not matter how expensive the planes are or how fast they fly. We have spotters that are supposed to help us avoid this type of situation. There were turbo props flying at this event as well and that T45 foamy was comparable in speed to the slower turbo prop I saw fly. Say what you want, the large and expensive Mig 29 crew was at fault here. The air space was not crowded at all due to the high winds. I was suprised at how well all the foamy jets handled the 30+ mph wind gusts.
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
Grist for the mill...

MiG vs. Hawk
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Last edited by DanSavage; Mar 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
How's the Hawk?
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:53 AM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini
Everyone was at fault in this accident. But the fact remains that the Foam Hawk was flying downwind over the runway OPPOSITE THE PATTERN!
If hawk pilot had maintained the pattern, the accident would not have happened.
Bob
What do you know? You were there. and most likely witnessed the mid air .. How's it feel now to be back in all that snow
Semper Fi
Joe
uncljoe is offline Find More Posts by uncljoe
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:54 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Seriously though, why was the Hawk going against the pattern, was he blown around by the wind too much? I know I myself would be very leary about flying at an event. I fly at a small field where I'm the only flyer, and as a result I sometimes tend to just fly what ever kind of pattern I want, which could set bad habits for when I fly with other people.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy