Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by zlite, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:13 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
Funny stuff, there are plenty of hundred million dollar projects that don't do very much flying. I can think of several under utilized programs (paper weights) off the top of my head. A few half million dollar foam projects too.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:46 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,591 Posts
So what's the status of possible regulation?

I see a variety of figures and restrictions in threads here. Some make sense (not a requirement of regulation) and some do not. There is a lot of activity worldwide, so some definitions and regulations would be timely.

Some comments:

Weight - I would prefer 5 Kg. That's the traditional FAI limit for model aircraft - 3 Kg (a number I've seen discussed) is too limiting.

VSOL - Too vague. The limit of visibility for a model is, arguably, 1 Km. A fixed, allowable radius of operation makes sense.

Commercial, grants etc. - Safety is not related to intent. Most student and non-profit activity would be considered grant funded. Requiring a COA for that activity is absurd. There is no functional reason to regulate against commercial activity conducted within the definition of a model aircraft.

Altitude - I believe the 400 ft limit is imposed within some proximity to an airport. Beyond that, 1000 feet would place models below normal GA operation.

Populated areas - Models should not be operated in populated areas. UAS operation should not pass over residences (without specific reason and permission) or paved roads.

So, I'd say the regs should allow:

Weight - less than 5 Kg

Altitude - less than 1000 ft

Distance - Up to 1 Km from operator

Location - unpopulated areas only

Application - unlimited (perhaps non-ordnance)

Why would the above need further legal limits? How could it even be detected and monitored?
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:27 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
Most of this would be acceptable to the UAS community, but way beyond the comfort level of the manned stakeholders. Want to make your opinions known? Fill out the Ops matrix and send it in.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 05:49 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,591 Posts
Ops matrix?
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:19 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
http://www.rcapa.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50
Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:58 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
April 2009 ARC document

I have been reading this document and have a question from the Appendix A: Summary Matrix section. On page 57 is a section concerning Visual Observers and when they are required. The last entry in that section is "Heads-down" but that text only appears in that one spot in the document. Does someone know what they mean by "heads-down"?
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:26 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
Raven is a heads down system. You view a monitor seeing the ground while flying (FPV). You are not scanning the airspace for other traffic, or sensing and avoiding.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1 Posts
I just finished reading this entire thread and I'm a little confused because I've also been reading the FAA regulations for unmanned free balloons. According to the FAA regulations you need to have some control over a free balloon so at what point does a free balloon become a UAV? I would like to fly an unmanned free balloon at high altitude (+100,000') but I would also like to have have some control over the altitude and direction of travel.
EPiXNiCROS is offline Find More Posts by EPiXNiCROS
Old Aug 18, 2009, 03:03 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
When you are getting paid. You should call the UAPO and ask.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:10 PM
wbuttry
sikeston mo
Joined Apr 2009
365 Posts
sounds to me the faa has really got you over a barrel if this new regs go in place we;ll half to call the faa when a bird flies or when we play sports baseball especially it is a bunch of bs to me ive been flying rc for 14 yrs and never had a problem with full scale aircraft when i flew stuff like the senior telemaster it was alway over 400 probally around 900 i always had lights on it like strobes and marker lights i think this arc is a way to keep the small men down and most of the people on arc is uav manafactures not normal people like us one person from ama wow well pat it looks like rcapa is gonna half to disban and quit just like the ama nothing new they take all th good stuff away and regulate the rest of it just the american way
wbuttry is offline Find More Posts by wbuttry
Old Aug 29, 2009, 06:14 PM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
421 Posts
patrickeagan, do you still follow the rulemaking process in Europe? If so, any news? brakar
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:05 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
Meeting in Brussels coming up in Early October I believe. ICAO is in South Africa in December, and an EC meeting early next year.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 02:28 AM
Bothell, WA
Joined May 2006
8 Posts
1000ft is going to be unrealistic as alot of the LSA and ultralight aircraft operate in this altitude. And it would not be monitored or detected until an accident occurred or a grey haired lady complained because a plane flew too close to her roses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Harper
I see a variety of figures and restrictions in threads here. Some make sense (not a requirement of regulation) and some do not. There is a lot of activity worldwide, so some definitions and regulations would be timely.

Some comments:

Weight - I would prefer 5 Kg. That's the traditional FAI limit for model aircraft - 3 Kg (a number I've seen discussed) is too limiting.

VSOL - Too vague. The limit of visibility for a model is, arguably, 1 Km. A fixed, allowable radius of operation makes sense.

Commercial, grants etc. - Safety is not related to intent. Most student and non-profit activity would be considered grant funded. Requiring a COA for that activity is absurd. There is no functional reason to regulate against commercial activity conducted within the definition of a model aircraft.

Altitude - I believe the 400 ft limit is imposed within some proximity to an airport. Beyond that, 1000 feet would place models below normal GA operation.

Populated areas - Models should not be operated in populated areas. UAS operation should not pass over residences (without specific reason and permission) or paved roads.

So, I'd say the regs should allow:

Weight - less than 5 Kg

Altitude - less than 1000 ft

Distance - Up to 1 Km from operator

Location - unpopulated areas only

Application - unlimited (perhaps non-ordnance)

Why would the above need further legal limits? How could it even be detected and monitored?
Snow*Wolf* is offline Find More Posts by Snow*Wolf*
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:49 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,234 Posts
Anyone know about this Question.

I am here in the USA and someone in India wants an airframe built for a UAV.

Is there any problem with me selling them to him?

Thanks for any input

Rick
Air Head is offline Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:33 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,822 Posts
The Indian government might no let it in. I hear they're burning RC stuff at the ports of entry. If its not hardware and software you should be okay from this end. Could check with the Commerce to be sure.