HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2008, 03:18 AM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
I'm going to need some help programming the radio.

I am using a JR X9303 2.4 and a JR 921 receiver.

I want to have the aileron servos on seperate channels and the flap servos on seperate channels. However, I can't figure out how to do this in the book. The manual says to use flaperon mode for dual ail servos, but it removes flaps. The normal allows one flap location, but it does not change the lists to read left or right aileron.

Where do I start with this?
Brother2 is offline Find More Posts by Brother2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2008, 11:50 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother2
I'm going to need some help programming the radio.

I am using a JR X9303 2.4 and a JR 921 receiver.

I want to have the aileron servos on seperate channels and the flap servos on seperate channels. However, I can't figure out how to do this in the book. The manual says to use flaperon mode for dual ail servos, but it removes flaps. The normal allows one flap location, but it does not change the lists to read left or right aileron.

Where do I start with this?
Hi Brother2,

I have posted to you so often by now I feel you are my Brother

I cannot give you direct instructions since I do not have a 9303.

Hope someone will be able to help but I can tell you this.

JR claim to have the best instruction and programming manual.

I have a 7202, seven channels and the instruction manual leaves much to be desired. I think I got it finally figured out by spending many hours of "fooling around" reading the book and re-reading the book and trying things with the transmitter and my Skybolt responding on my living room floor.

In my case I have two aileron servos. One is on "aileron" and the other is on "aux2" (I find it interesting that there is no "aux1).

The flap channel is unaffected. I tested that by connecting a separate servo on the flap connector and it worked (I do not have flaps on the Skybolt but if I had they would be working).

If no one respond adequately, you will have to do what I had to do.

I wish you good luck.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Jun 01, 2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Poor keyboard bouncing characters
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 01, 2008, 06:43 PM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
on my receivers I have Aux 1 printed. It is really the flaps.

So do you set your dual wing servo models up with the wing mode in flaperon?

I guess I just have to use the programmable mixes.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 06:57 PM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
All servos mounted in the wing, radio gear mounted in the fuse. Battery switch and charge mount installed. I've been working on the radio for a while so I'm charging my 6V 2000mah NiMH pack now.

Tonight I plane to install the fuel tank and throttle pushrod. By Wednesday, I would like to have the wing pushrods installed. Next weekend, I want to do the finish sanding and filling so that I can start covering. Two weeks to maiden?! Hold me to it.
Old Jun 01, 2008, 07:15 PM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
Some pictures of progress.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 02:01 AM
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
Hi Brother 2,

I hope I am not misinterpretting your problem with the aileron servos. I have also got a JR digital radio and am building the RV4. The ailerons must be connected with a Y connector and then only use one slot on the Rx. I am not putting flats on the RV4, so cannot help there.

Cedric :
CEDRIC TAYLOR is offline Find More Posts by CEDRIC TAYLOR
Old Jun 02, 2008, 02:35 AM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
Well, that is one way to do it, but I want to retain the ability to individually trim each servo.

Here is what I did tonight.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 09:34 AM
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help. The leading edge of the ailerons on my RV4 are such that it impossible for me to get the control horn pivot point over the centre line of the hinge. I have tried to get other control horns from my hobby shop, no luck. Is this a huge problem?
Cedric
Old Jun 02, 2008, 01:20 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDRIC TAYLOR
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help. The leading edge of the ailerons on my RV4 are such that it impossible for me to get the control horn pivot point over the centre line of the hinge. I have tried to get other control horns from my hobby shop, no luck. Is this a huge problem?
Cedric
Hi CEDRIC,

Excuse me if I have a little trouble clearly understanding your problem. I am partly guessing it.

When you write " to get the control horn pivot point" I assume you mean the point where the control rod or cable is connected to the horn.

Then you write "over the centre line of the hinge". If my understanding in the paragraph above is correct then you would not want that point over the centre line of the hinge. (coincident at the same point).

You would normally want the horn connection some distance away from the hinge line by may be 1/2" to 1" or so but the horn point would be on a line passing through both the hinge line and the horn attach point. That line would be perpendicular to the control surface while in neutral.

A little off line would not be a big problem. I do not know why you have a problem installing horns on the control surfaces.

Did I understand properly with my guess? If not then please post more precice information about the problem.

Zor
Old Jun 02, 2008, 01:59 PM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDRIC TAYLOR
Hi Guys,

Cedric

Cedric, my don't either. The way the taper goes on the beveled edge of the aileron, it is impossible to get the holes over the hinge line. Mine are slightly set back, but it will work.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 02:10 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
I am sorry

CEDRIC and Brother2,

I apologize for having intruded.

Please disregard my post.

Zor
Old Jun 02, 2008, 07:26 PM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
Zor, what you said was correct. The instructions tell you to do it that way, but it is not possible because the place where you mount the horn is deeper back that the hinge line due to the beveled leading edge of the aileron.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 08:27 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother2
Zor, what you said was correct. The instructions tell you to do it that way, but it is not possible because the place where you mount the horn is deeper back that the hinge line due to the beveled leading edge of the aileron.
Brother2

I read you and perhaps my questionn is irrelevant but I am curious.

Are those ailerons hinged half way of their thickness or are they hinged at the top or bottom surface?

If they are hinged for example at the top surface and they are let us say 1/2" thick then the bevel is 45 degrees, then the horn front mounting would be 1/2" back and I can then see the problem.

On my Skybolt the aileron spar is 9/16" (0.5625") thick (high vertically).
My ailerons are hinged at the center of the thickness 9/32" (0.28125"). The bevel is 30 degrees. That could be changed in the future but at this moment I think 30 degrees of aileron deflection is plenty.

So the gap on top and bottom is 0.28125 * tan 30 deg (0.57735)
gives me 0.16237 inch as a gap.

With the horns I am using the front part of the horn is on the aileron surface just about at the bevel and the horn attach points are as I described. the line passing through the hinge line and perpendicular to the stab also passes at the center of the clevis pin when the ailerons are neutral.

Did I explain myself clearly?

Zor
Last edited by Zor; Jun 02, 2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Correcting typing
Old Jun 02, 2008, 09:46 PM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
Yeah. The ailerons are hinged at the center of the bevel like your skybolt.

The flaps are hinged at the very bottom and the hinges go in angled. The flaps are not beveled at all. The go up against the wing flush.

I'll post a picture when I get the pushrods cut and installed.

On another note, I fixed my computer programming issue. The horizon tech people were very helpful. First, I had to go to device select and inhibit the Aux 2 and 3 switches. I then went back to the wing type page and mated the ailerons with aux 3 and the flaps with aux 2. So now the aileron channel is for the Rt Aileron, Aux 1 is the Rt Flap, Aux 2 is the Lt Flap, and Aux 3 the Lt Flap. I got everything reversed correctly and now it is good to go.
Old Jun 03, 2008, 01:30 AM
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
Hi Bother2 and Zor,

Thanks both.

Cedric