152 Posts
Nice, love the colour scheme! Wish I could fly mine more often :/
RC_Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by RC_Kiwi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 07:07 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Great images Pablo, you really look like you're enjoying it very much.

So what's it like to fly or are you still going easy on it?

Again awesome job, looks great!

Rob
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old May 05, 2012, 01:44 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Kiwi View Post
Nice, love the colour scheme!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
So what's it like to fly or are you still going easy on it?
I'm already Flying with the high rates, and fly's very nice!!!
On take off she likes to run!! mine runs at least 15meters, with the tail wheel on the air.
In any case the engine still in Break in, I'm waiting to finish the first gallon of fuel to start to push the engine a little more.. I'm flying with smoke tail.

Pablo.
pablojaime is offline Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old May 09, 2012, 10:20 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Hey guys,

Just checking in as I have been away from the building table for some time. Not much progress on my part as have been busy flying, and doing a few little mods to a couple seasoned birds in preparation for flying, as well as getting a small bipe ready for the maiden. Hopefully be able to get back to the RV4 soon.

pablojaime,

Hope you are enjoying flying yours as it looks fantastic! Good job!

bunkai,

How is your build coming along?

Regards,
Marko
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old May 10, 2012, 05:14 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
pablojaime,

Hope you are enjoying flying yours as it looks fantastic! Good job!
Marko
Thanks!!

Here some photos of the landing gear and the damage to the wheel pants because of the landing aluminum gear bending..

Pablo.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
bunkai,

How is your build coming along?

Regards,
Marko
Hey Marko,

I'm at the spot where I shape the blocks for the stab and fin, then onto the engine mounts etc. This is where I will back off the build. I'm getting a used Nextar complete and with a spare wing and tail feathers this weekend. I want to learn a bit more about how the engine, servos and radio works on something simpler before tackling this all with the RV4. So basically I'll stop with the airframe mostly complete and will complete it once I have more experience with engines etc. Hopefully flight training begins soon at the club and I can begin learning to fly.

Rob
Old May 11, 2012, 07:38 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
I'm getting a used Nextar complete and with a spare wing and tail feathers this weekend. I want to learn a bit more about how the engine, servos and radio works on something simpler before tackling this all with the RV4. Hopefully flight training begins soon at the club and I can begin learning to fly.

Rob
The wisest thing you can do!!!

Pablo.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Hey Marko,

I'm at the spot where I shape the blocks for the stab and fin, then onto the engine mounts etc. This is where I will back off the build. I'm getting a used Nextar complete and with a spare wing and tail feathers this weekend. I want to learn a bit more about how the engine, servos and radio works on something simpler before tackling this all with the RV4. So basically I'll stop with the airframe mostly complete and will complete it once I have more experience with engines etc. Hopefully flight training begins soon at the club and I can begin learning to fly.

Rob
Rob,

The Nexstar is a great trainer. Suggest you disconnect the AFS as you can build up a dependency on it. A good instructor on a buddy box for a few sessions will far out do any autopilot gadgets. Cheers and good luck flying! The RV4 will patiently await. Mine is on hold as well.

Marko
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:22 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Well training is going so well that I'm back to work on the RV.

I have a question for anyone that wishes to take a shot at it.

The instructions call for using 6-32 machine screws drilled and tapped on the engine mount. Is this going to be enough to hold the engine to the mount or would using a longer 6-32 machine screw with a nut be better?

To top it off one of the 4 holes I drilled and tapped is just a bit out, I've filled that hole with 30 min epoxy and was going to re-drill and tap it. Would that work or do I need a new mount? The other 3 holes worked out perfect.

Bunkai
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:48 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Well training is going so well that I'm back to work on the RV.

I have a question for anyone that wishes to take a shot at it.

The instructions call for using 6-32 machine screws drilled and tapped on the engine mount. Is this going to be enough to hold the engine to the mount or would using a longer 6-32 machine screw with a nut be better?

To top it off one of the 4 holes I drilled and tapped is just a bit out, I've filled that hole with 30 min epoxy and was going to re-drill and tap it. Would that work or do I need a new mount? The other 3 holes worked out perfect.

Bunkai
You do not need a new mount.

Make sure the epoxy is fully hardened and tap it.

Strongly suggest you use longer screws and put metal nuts with nylon locking on the srews.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Rob,

The Nexstar is a great trainer. Suggest you disconnect the AFS as you can build up a dependency on it. A good instructor on a buddy box for a few sessions will far out do any autopilot gadgets. Cheers and good luck flying! The RV4 will patiently await. Mine is on hold as well.

Marko
I backk up Marko on this one.

Many have reported that this AFS is a trouble maker and disconnect it.

Noting is better than a good instructor on a buddy box.

Best to you,

Zor
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:03 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Thanks Zor,

I'm not using the AFS and yes I've been pleased with the progress and the Nexstar. All the stick time on the sim definetly paid off.The club has good instructors and an instruction program they adhere to. They won't allow me to fly at the field until I make the grade. I should be soloing in a week or so.
I agree I think the longer screw with a nut just seems to be better than tapping the mount only.

bunkai
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:39 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
bunkai,

You are a wise gentleman.

Zor
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:44 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
I agree I think the longer screw with a nut just seems to be better than tapping the mount only.

bunkai
Hi Bunkai!! good to know about your progress!!
In ALL my Glow planes I always use metal screws with lock nuts, and never had a loose screw to worried, (except for those looseing in the head..).
And the RV-4 is not the exception.

Past-tomorrow i will pick from the mail man my new CF landing gear, the original is almost no giving resistance and on every touchdown it bends...

Pablo.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:31 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime View Post
Past-tomorrow i will pick from the mail man my new CF landing gear, the original is almost no giving resistance and on every touchdown it bends...

Pablo.
I picked up the longer screws and nuts for the engine, I also got blind nuts for the wing bolts.

I saw one model at the field that was having a simlar problem with the landing gear. He strung rebar wire between them and it solved the problem. He gave me some so if and when I fly this model I'll see how it goes and if it needs it will be putting it on.

bunkai