SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:41 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
Then onto the turtle deck and fuse sheeting.
Another tip!!! the balsa for the sheeting, give them a nice shower (got them really wet!!) and then stick them to a bottle of wine or something cylindrical and tack with rubber bands for half hour, then you will see how easy is to make the turtle deck and the front sheeting!!

Pablo.
pablojaime is offline Find More Posts by pablojaime
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:59 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
good timing for that tip Pablo, thanks!
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
376 Posts
Ok, today i made the fuse covering... what do you think?

Not much for flying time!!!!

Pablo.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:35 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Looks very nice Pablo!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:03 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Looking Good Pablo!!
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:09 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime View Post
Another tip!!! the balsa for the sheeting, give them a nice shower (got them really wet!!) and then stick them to a bottle of wine or something cylindrical and tack with rubber bands for half hour, then you will see how easy is to make the turtle deck and the front sheeting!!

Pablo.
Wow,

The 1st one side went like butter, the 2nd one I've cracked 2 sheets!! Sure glad I have some extra sheeting.

Unbelievable 3rd one cracked after being soaked for over an hour!!

I'm done for today
Last edited by bunkai; Apr 01, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:24 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Wow,

The 1st one side went like butter, the 2nd one I've cracked 2 sheets!! Sure glad I have some extra sheeting.

Unbelievable 3rd one cracked after being soaked for over an hour!!

I'm done for today
Ok. but you stick those to a bottle of wine or something like that? or just soak in water?

Pablo.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:01 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Yes I did, soaked it and elastic bands on a wine bottle. 1st side went perfect.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:46 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Back on track, I guess I don't know how to choose the right balsa. Got some more sheets and the 1st one I tried worked like a dream. With a few days off I should be able to make a bit of progress now.

Pablo - have you done your maiden yet?
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:10 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Pablo - have you done your maiden yet?
Not yet, i need to install all the electronics, break in the engine and then will be ready for some flying time!!

Pablo.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:43 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Progressing well. Time to mount the wing! Don't have a tap and never used one before, this could be ... Interesting.

There is a small gap between the top of the wing and fuse when I lay the wing on. Is this a problem?
Last edited by bunkai; Apr 07, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:09 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Progressing well. Time to mount the wing! Don't have a tap and never used one before, this could be ... Interesting.
Dubro has a nice set of Tap and Drill bit for no money, but you will need also the Tap Handle, also inexpensive.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE217&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTHR9&P=0
If you decide to go for those items, i can explain you later how to use it...

Quote:
There is a small gap between the top of the wing and fuse when I lay the wing on. Is this a problem?
Lay the Fuselage with the wing installed in the floor, check the fuse is flat against the floor and then measure the height of both wing tips to the floor, if is the same, then you can seal the gap later (if is not very big) with foam, like they put in the house doors for closing the noises. if you see difference in wing tips height, you will need to sand the wing housing in the fuse, till the same height, and probably the gap will disappear..

Pablo.
Last edited by pablojaime; Apr 07, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:35 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime View Post
Lay the Fuselage with the wing installed in the floor, check the fuse is flat against the floor and then measure the height of both wing tips to the floor, if is the same, then you can seal the gap later (if is not very big) with foam, like they put in the house doors for closing the noises. if you see difference in wing tips height, you will need to sand the wing housing in the fuse, till the same height, and probably the gap will disappear..

Pablo.

Not sure what you mean Pablo, How do get it to go flat on the floor. If you do it right side up the wings keep it from laying flat and upside down the round top of the decking prevents it from laying flat?

The joint is good in some spots and where there is a gap it's small but there.
Last edited by bunkai; Apr 07, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:06 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what you mean Pablo, How do get it to go flat on the floor. If you do it right side up the wings keep it from laying flat and upside down the round top of the decking prevents it from laying flat?

Rob,

Tiny gaps I would not be too concerned about...provided the wing is square with the fuse, and you have not affected the wing incidence, and the wing will not twist or move when bolted on. You want to ensure the wing sits neatly and evenly on the fuse wing saddle. If all is correct, then after covering you could fix the odd tiny gap with a bead of silicone. If you need to square up the wing, and get the incidence right and remove gaps, what I find works well is to take some sandpaper (say 1" x 5"), place the fuse on the wing, and slip in the sandpaper (sanding surface against the fuse wing saddle) and work out the high spots until you get a perfect fit. You do not want the wing to twist when it gets bolted down due to gaps, or be able to move.

Hope that makes sense.

Marko
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:27 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
376 Posts
Quote:

Sorry my mistake, in the manual at page 30, the picture from "mount the wing to the fuselage" at step #1, the fuse is upside down (sorry ) sitting in the cockpit floor on a small box or anything like that, with the wing bolted in place, and them you can measure the distance from the wing tips to the floor..

Pablo.