HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:32 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Some covering from today, the wing tips is a PIA!!!
Tomorrow i will continue working in the wing tip, the bubbles are a big problem..

Pablo.
pablojaime is offline Find More Posts by pablojaime
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:35 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Bunkai and Seeingeyegod: Thanks!!!

Pablo.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:55 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime View Post
Some covering from today, the wing tips is a PIA!!!
Tomorrow i will continue working in the wing tip, the bubbles are a big problem..

Pablo.
Lookin good!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:41 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Lookin good!
Thanks!!

Pablo.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:34 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Coming along real nice Pablo, you keep raising the bar man, I've got my work cut out for me. Still a ways behind you but certainly hope for results as nice as yours!
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:44 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
Coming along real nice Pablo, you keep raising the bar man, I've got my work cut out for me. Still a ways behind you but certainly hope for results as nice as yours!
If you are taking tips from friends, can i gave you two!!
1. when you will get to the covering, the wing tips, under covering looks like part of the wing, but is a PIA to get the covering nice over the ABS Plastic. If you do. work slow and with low heat from the covering iron or heat gun.
2. Also from covering the wing in the manual says install the servos (of the wing) and then cover... Don't!! cutting the holes for the servos in the covering will go very ugly!! unmount the servos, cover the botton wing complete, open the holes for the servo's, leaving about 4mm (sorry i use millimeters) from the hole border to overlap it inside the hole!!! and then install again the servos BEFORE covering the top of the wing, if not passing the servo cables and extensions will be VERY hard to do.. passing the cables under the center of the wing is already a little hard, long fingers come in handy...
I put some Pics from what i'm talking..

Pablo.
Last edited by pablojaime; Mar 25, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
And some work from today...
to get the squares in the flaps and the ailerons to match the squares from the wing, that was a very hard work!!!! but done!!!

Pablo.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
making good progress Pablo, I was thinking of checks as well on the lower side, lining up the flaps/ailerions was something that I never considered before. It looks like you did the servos as per plans?
Last edited by bunkai; Mar 25, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:04 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime View Post
If you are taking tips from friends, can i gave you two!!
1. when you will get to the covering, the wing tips, under covering looks like part of the wing, but is a PIA to get the covering nice over the ABS Plastic. If you do. work slow and with low heat from the covering iron or heat gun.

Pablo.
Ha....I warned you about those tips that they will be tough! I would suggest not to use a heat gun as you cannot effectively control and pinpoint the heat where needed so could very quickly deform the ABS tips. (that will not be pretty!!!) Use an iron (or trim iron) with temp control and low heat as Pablo mentioned. Just enough to activate the adhesive for the covering you are working with. Pull, stretch, tug and tack. Slowly work it bit by bit and do not be in a hurry. May take you longer to complete the tips than the entire rest of wing, but it can be done.

You did well Pablo!!!!
Last edited by rcwings; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:08 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
maing good progress Pablo, I was thinking of checks as well on the lower side, lining up the flaps/ailerions was something that I never considered before. It looks like you did the servos as per plans?
Bunkai,

I have changed the servo mounts in mine to have the servos hidden. Have made them and have one wing section done but have not yet had time to do the control rods and hatches. Can post some pics of how I did it so far if you are interested. Or doing what Pablo did by the plan is fine too if you prefer an easier route.

Marko
Last edited by rcwings; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
I wouldn't consider any of this easy, it's very interesting and a learning process. I'm more comfortable when I've got everything kind of laid out where I can check and quadruple check before I throw glue all over it . I really like your idea, I'm just not sure I could pull it off.

I do have a question though- back to that Sullivan wheel I chose to use. I put a piece of ply inside the fuse where I've put 2 blind nuts to screw it. Would a piece of ply be necessary on the outside as well or will it be ok as is?

BTW started putting the upper formers on. Still have to sand the aft bit before I glue the F7A on. Have the day off tomorrow may run down to the LHS and see if the price for the radio and motor is still good if so I'll be picking those up tomorrow.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:16 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,115 Posts
Plywood on the bottom of the fuse is recommended or at least some very hard balsa.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Midwest Stik Build
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:23 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
The tail wheel mount as you have it will be just fine. If you feel the balsa may be soft, you can treat the area under the mount with a little thin CA to stiffen it up a little. Just go easy on the CA as you do not need much. Ensure the ply piece you added is glued in well.

As for the servo mod....well I pretty much used the parts from the kit. So far not too difficult and should be easy to replicate. The aileron will be easy and no more difficult than what the plan calls other than a cover. The same method can be done for the flap. Up to you, but if you want to see how I did it, will be happy to post some pics as I went and a step by step.

My mod for the flap will be a little more complex than the aileron mod as I want to hide the control arm as well, and will require a little engineering.

Don't forget some extra servos when you get that new radio! If you get the Futaba 7C, it will likely come with a 7 channel receiver which will work just fine, but you will need to get a Y-harness. The receiver only has 7 ports with no dedicated battery plug, and you need to plug in 7 servos. In order to give each servo a dedicated port (preferred method), for individual control, you can use the Y-harness with say as an example the throttle servo and the battery and plug them into port 3 (typically throttle for Futaba). The other option is to use the Y-harness on flaps which will give you a spare for the battery/switch plug. Make sense?????
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Servo mounting mod

Here is the start of my servo mounting mod. Will be hidden under a hatch from underside of wing. Parts used are from the kit. A few simple cuts to fit into a rib for a side mount design. Next phase is to complete the control surfaces and set up the horns and rods. My flap control hardware will be completely hidden which makes it a little more complex. To simplify, just do the controls for the flaps identical to the way the ailerons will be. More to come as I progress. Might be a little while as have been stalled due to some other work (non hobby related ) that requires attention. Hope this makes sense so far.
Last edited by rcwings; Mar 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:23 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
You put alot of work into that presentation Marko. Very nice, I'm sure alot of folks will benefit from that. My trays are all put together right now but not installed I'll check and see how difficult they will be to take apart. I'm glad to see you provide that alternate location as my plates are already installed in the control surfaces.

regarding the servos and Y harness in a previous post I was aware from some research that the harness would be necessary to have 7 servos. So putting the battery line on another channel will work? Is there a seperate line off the battery for the charger and switch? Noob question right.