HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime View Post
I'm ready to start covering, but i have a question: the plastic wing tips, covered or painted...? what do you think is better?...
waiting anxiously for your comments!!!

Pablo.
You might have some trouble covering them, so likely easier to paint. I was looking at that myself, and since not sure what my colour scheme is going to be, I am undecided. Thinking I may cover the top part, but paint the underside so that I avoid any colour mismatch on the top, as well as not having to deal with covering the underside curvature that may be challenging to do neatly. If you do decide to cover, you need to be VERY careful when trying to apply covering over ABS as it will not take the heat well and can distort easily. So very low heat...just enough to stick. If you saved some scrap ABS you can test out prior to trying on model.
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:50 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Ok, some work in wheel pants and cowl, i must say that i'm not the best painter in the hobby......

Pablo.
Like anything...painting takes practice. I get a pretty decent finish, but always expecting to do better. My bro and I used to do body work and paint cars back in highschool for play money. We had a decent shop for the job, but by no means pros! That was some 30 years ago and for some reason think I was better back then than now. Masking can be tedious and often you get bleeding or uneven lines. What I found to be the trick is to simply apply a thin pinstrip. Not only does it hide any imperfections between the two colours, but also accents the piece nicely and gives it that finishing touch. Then.......only you know what lies under that stripe!!!!

Just an FYI.....any imperfections in the structure to be covered will show through similar to a painted surface. If you can feel it...it will more than likely show through after covering.

Looking good by the way!
Last edited by rcwings; Mar 15, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
This kit just showed up at the LHS for $99 dollars. Tempting!
Yep...they have come down a fair amount. If you like this plane, would suggest you snag it as doubt it will stay that price for long! Would be a good idea to inspect it first as seems the odd one has been plagued with warped ply parts. Suspect was not packaged properly.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Yep...they have come down a fair amount. If you like this plane, would suggest you snag it as doubt it will stay that price for long! Would be a good idea to inspect it first as seems the odd one has been plagued with warped ply parts. Suspect was not packaged properly.
Yeah my Pete n Poke had one badly warped wing spar, some die crushing, and one piece of plywood that actually had some kind of filler in parts instead of wood, but it was someplace unimportant so no biggie but i wasn't exactly impressed with the wood.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Yeah my Pete n Poke had one badly warped wing spar, some die crushing, and one piece of plywood that actually had some kind of filler in parts instead of wood, but it was someplace unimportant so no biggie but i wasn't exactly impressed with the wood.
Hmmmmm that is too bad! My RV4 kit was well packed and all parts are top notch. Nothing to complain about. It has been sitting in my basement all boxed up for well over a year until now. The thing about Great Planes (from my experience with an ARF) is great customer service. Provided you call them within a reasonable time, they seem willing to send parts out quickly to replace anything defective or missing.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:20 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
You might have some trouble covering them, so likely easier to paint. I was looking at that myself, and since not sure what my colour scheme is going to be, I am undecided. Thinking I may cover the top part, but paint the underside so that I avoid any colour mismatch on the top, as well as not having to deal with covering the underside curvature that may be challenging to do neatly. If you do decide to cover, you need to be VERY careful when trying to apply covering over ABS as it will not take the heat well and can distort easily. So very low heat...just enough to stick. If you saved some scrap ABS you can test out prior to trying on model.
Ok, so i decided to glue the wing tips and cover them, i practiced in ABS scrap from the cowl and looks nice, i made three tests, with very hot: looks nice but when everything cools down bubbles start to appear(), medium hot: the same as very hot(), low heat: nice, hard to get the glue work, but almost no bubbles!!()
So next step is to get started with covering, the wing tips are already glued for now, so hands on deck!! to work!!

Pablo.
pablojaime is offline Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
This kit just showed up at the LHS for $99 dollars. Tempting!
are you decided yet? if so welcome to the club!!!

Pablo.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:22 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
377 Posts
Hi today i found that the screws for the wheels are short!!
they come 1"1/4 and barely i can screw the nut. and the wheel don't stay in the middle of the housing. so at least i need 1"1/2 or more to screw the nut and leave a clearance to the housing.

Pablo.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Hmmmmm that is too bad! My RV4 kit was well packed and all parts are top notch. Nothing to complain about. It has been sitting in my basement all boxed up for well over a year until now. The thing about Great Planes (from my experience with an ARF) is great customer service. Provided you call them within a reasonable time, they seem willing to send parts out quickly to replace anything defective or missing.
Well that is good to hear, I might just pick up the RV4 @ the LHS, though I probably wouldn't start the build for awhile. When I was building my plane, I just got really into it and typically for me, was too impatient to wait for replacement parts. I did actually try and get replacement wood for one spar at the LHS but then realized the balsa was way too soft compared to what came with the kit; it all worked out in the end
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:35 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Quote:
Hi today i found that the screws for the wheels are short!!
they come 1"1/4 and barely i can screw the nut. and the wheel don't stay in the middle of the housing. so at least i need 1"1/2 or more to screw the nut and leave a clearance to the housing.

Pablo.
You might want to just "pitch" those and get some wheel axle shafts and add collars to center the wheel accordingly. Dubro makes decent ones you may want to look at to save you some pain!

BTW - How did the covering of the tips go????
Last edited by rcwings; Mar 19, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
So I managed to make a bit of progress this weekend. Took a bit longer and a lot of patience but managed to get the warped ply parts to eventually cooperate. Alot of the structure of the fuse is complete and I opted for the Sullivan tail wheel. I put some ply in the interior I'm wondering if putting some on the exterior would be overkill or not? Any way I am pleased with the results so far. Still am pretty sloppy with the glue but at least it wont fly apart
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,859 Posts
Wow, the kit at the LHS is gone after just a few days! Guess it is a popular one. Probably am not in the mood to start another build myself anyway, may be moving to a different place soon.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:44 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
377 Posts
Now looks like a Plane!!!

didn't got the time to start with the covering, hope this weekend..

Pablo
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:13 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Looking good Pablo! Nice job!
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,859 Posts