SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:36 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime View Post
I think from today the work advance starts to slow down, not because of time, as for work it self, more sanding and filling, servo and radio installation,then covering, engine break-in, then fly!! if the weather will let, horrible winter this year.

Pablo.
Nice view from the "shop"! Wish I had a view like that from my man cave! Come to think of it, just a window would be nice. Guess that is why it's called a "cave".
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:26 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Tail feathers are complete. Moved on to the wing. Little disappointed with the fit of the ribs and spar section so had to clamp ribs together and sand to size them equal.

Been some time since I have built a Great Planes kit so forgot about the unique main spare design. Well thought out and simple. Gotta take a break but hope to get back at it later tonight.

Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:04 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Hi bunkai, I think you mean to this?, if not let me know.

Pablo.
Awesome Pablo, thanks for doing that on my behalf

It tells me exactly what I need to do. It looks to me like you took a bit off the trays where it wouldn't fit tight to WSW and then brought it within 1/8" of the bottom caps to enable the 1/8" scrap stick to be applied.
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:23 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Some of the work completed to date. Wing is curing.....
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:15 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Yeap!!! Ladies (if any) & Gentlemen!!!!! Today I made my first Medium/Big Error!!!
I glued the wing saddle doubler (WSD) 2 or 3 mm aft. Sh...
Some Pics from what I'm talking about..

Pablo.
geez I went and did the same thing on the 1st side then remembered your post. Was already glued tight . I can see how it happened they don't really give you a good look at it's positioning anywhere. Well at least it's only one side to fix.

How did you find the quality of the fuse parts? 50% of the ply seems to be warped and I've had a heck of a time getting the major bits to fit properly. I am just putting together the top, bottom and sides and haven't begun putting in the 1st formers and beginning assembly.

Even knowing your predicament with the WSD it seems to only want to fit that way. Doing the 2nd one seeing what happened further along to you, the contour of the WSD follows the FFS perfectly but ends up in the incorrect location. I'm going to have to fix the 2nd one as well since it's the way it follows the contour.
Last edited by bunkai; Mar 03, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:31 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
I will have to keep a sharp eye on that step then so I do not fall into the trap!

Have almost finished one wing half. Page 14 step 32 for anyone progressing through I would suggest you trim the block prior to gluing. Will make it much easier to shape than trying to do it on the wing at that stage. Trial fit, then mark on top side from ribs where the block needs shaving. Shave off to marks and once happy with fit, then glue in and continue on.

I think I am going to change the wing servo mounts from what the plans call for. There is nothing wrong with how they have done it, I just do not like the servos being on display like that from underneath. So, will modify to have them hidden with a hatch cover. See how I did my last one and looks much cleaner. Have not quite decided on the design, but the end result will be similar to the one in photo #2
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:39 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
hmmmm, even 2 of my ply formers are warped. I got me a bad batch of ply. Was ready to start putting in the formers, finally, and 2 of them are now wet and weighed down
Last edited by bunkai; Mar 04, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
If they are really bad give Great Planes a call for replacements. They have pretty decent customer service. An ARF I built a couple years back was missing some parts and they mailed out new ones for me very quickly. Might be worth a call!
Last edited by rcwings; Mar 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 04:18 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
I'm too far along and I'm managing, but it's worth going through yours now just in case. By the time you need it you'll have it. It's just been slowing me down, I really only have weekends to work on this thing and I grab a part and spend the day straightening it out instead of making progress.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:29 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
geez I went and did the same thing on the 1st side then remembered your post. Was already glued tight . I can see how it happened they don't really give you a good look at it's positioning anywhere. Well at least it's only one side to fix.

How did you find the quality of the fuse parts? 50% of the ply seems to be warped and I've had a heck of a time getting the major bits to fit properly. I am just putting together the top, bottom and sides and haven't begun putting in the 1st formers and beginning assembly.

Even knowing your predicament with the WSD it seems to only want to fit that way. Doing the 2nd one seeing what happened further along to you, the contour of the WSD follows the FFS perfectly but ends up in the incorrect location. I'm going to have to fix the 2nd one as well since it's the way it follows the contour.
yeap happens, and yes it fits like was in place but not corresponding to the former area. and after resolving the error i also found that the contour fits in the wrong place, so i suppose it's a design error.
about quality, the only problem i got was the cutting of the parts, as i posted early, but all balsa and ply was very straight.

Pablo.
pablojaime is offline Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:32 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
I think I am going to change the wing servo mounts from what the plans call for. There is nothing wrong with how they have done it, I just do not like the servos being on display like that from underneath. So, will modify to have them hidden with a hatch cover. See how I did my last one and looks much cleaner. Have not quite decided on the design, but the end result will be similar to the one in photo #2
I love the idea!!! i also wanted to do the same, but didn't, don't know the reason...

Pablo.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:08 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Quote:

I'd be interested in seeing how you do it since I haven't put the trays in. I like the idea as well.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:47 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Just been away for a few days so no progress on the RV4. Have been thinking about the flap and aileron servo reconfiguration and have a couple ideas. Will post as soon as I am able to get at the building again to figure out the details. Thinking may hide the flap control rod/arm and servo completely if there is enough "edge" to allow for it, but the ailerons will have the rods exposed with the servos tucked under a hatch. Stay tuned!
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:25 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Just been away for a few days so no progress on the RV4. Have been thinking about the flap and aileron servo reconfiguration and have a couple ideas. Will post as soon as I am able to get at the building again to figure out the details. Thinking may hide the flap control rod/arm and servo completely if there is enough "edge" to allow for it, but the ailerons will have the rods exposed with the servos tucked under a hatch. Stay tuned!
quivering in anticipation
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:27 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
377 Posts
Today arrived the mighty engine.. and the cowl got fiberglassed, i didn't fiberglassed all the cowl, only the union between parts.

Pablo.

BTW. Rcwings: can't wait to see your ideas!!