SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
Crashing is not something I'm looking forward to but realize is inevitable.
Guys,

Yes crashing unfortunately goes with this hobby, but can be minimized. I always tell new members in our club, we teach them to fly...not crash. Crashing however, they will have to learn on their own. Like anything new you have to "learn to crawl before you can walk" as the saying goes. Hopefully you have a club with good instructors that can break up learning to fly, into smaller segments, and you learn to master each of those segments. Don't be in a rush to jump into advanced aerobatics (resist the temptation) before you are ready. Use a simulator if you have access to one, and if you do not, consider getting one as it is well worth the investment. The key is to get your mind thinking ahead of the plane, which takes practice, practice and more practice. Ensure you are learning on an appropriate plane. The selection of trainers is quite wide these days, and although not the prettiest of planes (like that Mustang or RV-4 - ) they are very forgiving and fly slow enough to allow a new pilot to maintain control. They also have self correcting abilities built into them that some of the more advanced planes will not.

Likely the most difficult part of flying is trying to land. This is where we see the majority of mishaps. I cannot stress enough about practicing landings. I have been flying RC for over 25 years, and still to this day, if I am ever at the field by myself, I will practice landings, touch and go's and simulated dead sticks. This keeps me sharp and ready if I have a flame out. Not to mention, makes for great landing when all eyes are watching! Also ensure you always check your batteries and come to the field fully charged up!!!! As well, check your control surfaces to ensure hinges have not let go and all linkages are working properly. This only takes a couple minutes to do first thing so do not skip before and after a flying session! If something does not look right, then fix it before you fly, cause it will not get any better in the air. If flying glow or gas, ensure that engine is running well and you have a reliable idle, again things will not improve in the air. Do not hesitate to solicit help from a seasoned flyer. Get familiar with the members of your club, so you can determine who is the best guy to help you tune the engine. Like anything....everyone is an expert and will try to give you advice that may not always be helpful, but there are only a handful that can truly tune an engine properly. So try to find that guy! With a well tuned engine, sound airframe, well installed and maintained hardware and proper instruction, you should have a relatively successful start into this hobby with minimal mishaps. Save the crashing for the seasoned guys like me that like do low inverted flybys or catch a wingtip on low knife edge passes when there is zero margin for error.... You too will be there soon enough!!! Cheers and enjoy this amazing hobby!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Great advice rcwings.

Taking a break from sanding the wings <cough> <hack>.

I got myself a sim 4-5 months ago and have been practicing alot, especially landings with wind and without. Getting pretty good at it as I'm not hitting the red button very often anymore.

I may not even fly the RV-4 this year. It all depends on the training and comfort level. The reason I'm building this model is I couldn't think of a better way to see how these things work than to put one together while I wait for the training season to start.
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:
Great advice rcwings.

Taking a break from sanding the wings <cough> <hack>.

I got myself a sim 4-5 months ago and have been practicing alot, especially landings with wind and without. Getting pretty good at it as I'm not hitting the red button very often anymore.

I may not even fly the RV-4 this year. It all depends on the training and comfort level. The reason I'm building this model is I couldn't think of a better way to see how these things work than to put one together while I wait for the training season to start.
Rob,

I commend you for jumping in with a build of the RV-4. It is a beautiful airplane but not overly complex to build. You are doing great! It will be a fun plane when you are ready!!! My jump into RC was with a Goldberg Chipmunk! Put an OS 91 four stroke into it and included flaps. Yep....got to the last page of the manual and there was a warning that said "this is not a beginner airplane". Was terrified to fly it as it was a beauty, so it was a hangar queen for a couple years until I learned on a trainer to fly with confidence. Once the chippy took to the air I realized what a dream it was to fly. Gave me many years of fun, but lost it in an unfortunate mid-air collision. Often think I should build another one, but too many other planes I want to build and fly as well.

Isn't sanding FUN! About as fun as covering!!!! Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with my Smith Mini Plane build, so then can get started on the RV-4! Covering is not so bad, just the trim work I am doing is getting a little too repetitive so anxious to finish it off.

Marko
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
thanks Marko,

I'm enjoying it alot. Even though I've read the manual through a few times every once in awhile when I flip a few pages ahead it can be a bit intimidating, engines, servos, fuel tanks, control rods, horns and stuff. Stuff I've never had experience with before.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:34 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
No worries. Lots of support here to help you along! BTW - did you get a radio yet?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:49 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
No I haven't gotten the radio. I went to one of the LHS last week and they put together a price for me for a 7c with 4 servos and an Os 55 for $440. Thought that was pretty good still waiting to connect with the local club. Will pull the trigger eventually.
wheeww wing leading edge and control surfaces all sanded and shaped. Time to walk the dog and blow this dust out of me head.
Last edited by bunkai; Feb 12, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
The Futaba 7C is a great radio. There are a couple guys in our club that have it and I have had the opportunity to program it. Will pretty much do all a new pilot, or sport flyer will need with a straight forward and logical interface. IMHO

Post some pic when the dust settles.......
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Almost ready to start the fuse.
Last edited by bunkai; Feb 12, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,364 Posts
Wings look good....glad you are going to use flaps - they are fun to play with!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:02 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
thanks

Yes thought the flaps were there for a reason and could be helpful - I guess I'll find out
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:22 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
this is probably a noob question but I was wondering how exact to the plan does the shape of the LE have to be for performance? I have it darn close but since I was in there sanding for hours to get it right was wondering how important it is to have it done exactly as shown.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:
this is probably a noob question but I was wondering how exact to the plan does the shape of the LE have to be for performance? I have it darn close but since I was in there sanding for hours to get it right was wondering how important it is to have it done exactly as shown.
I wouldn't be too concerned if you shaved off a bit too much. Try to shape it as close as you can to plan Rob along the entire length and it will fly just fine.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Sounds good, heres a shot.

thanks
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:35 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:

thanks
Oh that is terrible! It will never fly! Need to rebuild the wing! Just kidding looks good!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:

thanks
How does it mate up with the fuse "wing saddle"? You may need to work it a little too.