HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:53 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,183 Posts
Those rubber bands around the tank will eventually break....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:52 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Those rubber bands around the tank will eventually break....
I know... you're right, i will change that, just was using them for a fit test..
pablojaime is offline Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:31 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Nice progress Pablo. I've gotten a little bit further. Leading edges on have to sand. Tips and servo trays are next then wings are done. Control surfaces curing

Then on to the fuse!!
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:05 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,183 Posts
I found the wing center section a bit more complicated than it had to be....your thoughts?
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:08 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
this being my 1st build I didn't know what to expect. But yes it seemed to have more steps and work then it could have. I'm sure there could be a simpler way of reinforcing that area.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:14 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
I found the wing center section a bit more complicated than it had to be....your thoughts?
I didn't got there yet, the tank was an issue for me.
in any case the wings joint don't look so strong as in the GP Mustang kit.(the wings joint was fiberglassed).

BTW today i crash trying to land the Mustang, so no plane to fly, more time to build..., when the RV starts to fly i will repair the Mustang.

Pablo.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:23 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
804 Posts
Pablo,

Sorry to hear about the Mustang. I am sure you can get it back in the air soon and looking like new!

Seems the longer I am in this hobby the slower the whole building process goes! But the efforts are always worth it in the end and gives me a sense of satisfaction that no ARF will ever provide! I have nothing against ARF's, as I have a couple myself, but there is no real attachment there like the planes I have built from a pile of sticks. Trying to finish off a biplane before I get started on the RV-4. Just finishing up the covering and trimming, then will have to wait for warmer weather for the garage to be at a decent temperature so I can paint a few parts. Once covering is done I hope to get cracking on the RV-4.

Keep up the good work guys!!!

Cheers,
Marko
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Last edited by rcwings; Feb 09, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:22 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
An enjoyable thread

You guys are doing some real fine work.

It is very interesting to keep following this thread.

Keep up the good work.
There is no ARF or RTF that can match the pleasure and satisfaction of a well glued and well covered and finished model.

We really see the difference when a bad luck ends in a crash.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:48 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Hey Zor,

Really appreciate the encouragement not having done anything like this before it's more then welcome. This thread is a big reason for me even attempting this since it gives you the opportunity to see it happening and directly be in contact with folks that have been there done that. It has given me alot of information and confidence.

Pablo sorry to hear abort the 'stang. I've not had the experience of flying let alone dealing with a crash and everything that goes along with that. At least you have the RV-4 to keep the spirits up, not to mention again that awesome view from the work bench.

Rob
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
So I have the wingtips on. Looking for suggestions on how to fill that very small gap between the tip and wing? They are not glued to the wing yet, would bondo which is probably going to have to be used for the cowl and wheel pants work?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:58 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
So I have the wingtips on. Looking for suggestions on how to fill that very small gap between the tip and wing? They are not glued to the wing yet, would bondo which is probably going to have to be used for the cowl and wheel pants work?
Rob,

If you are talking about the union of the tips with the wing and if there is a small seam, then you may want to use some "balsa filler" like Hobbico HobbyLite or similar product. This will allow you to get a nice smooth finish and also can be used to fill in any pits in the fuse and wings prior to covering. It is very light and usually balsa colour or white so will not show through if using film. Balsa filler is similar to balsa for sanding where Bondo will be a little more challenging to work with on a balsa surface.

If you are talking about the small gaps at the trailing edge of the plastic tips on the inside, then a small amount of Bondo can be used to fill those in....or you could shape small triangular pieces of scrap balsa to fit in, then shoot with a bit of CA glue.

Use Bondo for any plastic parts to smooth out.

Hope that helps.

Marko
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Last edited by rcwings; Feb 11, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Thanks Marko,

Awesome suggestion I wasn't aware of balsa filler definetly will be getting some sounds like it will work perfect for this.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Some Work From Today...

Pablo.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
Pablo sorry to hear abort the 'stang. I've not had the experience of flying let alone dealing with a crash and everything that goes along with that. At least you have the RV-4 to keep the spirits up, not to mention again that awesome view from the work bench.

Rob
Keep in Mind that in this hobby there is not even one person that not crashed at least one plane!!! crashing is a integral part of this hobby.

and one picture made specially for you!!!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
116 Posts
Crashing is not something I'm looking forward to but realize is inevitable.

Thanks for that Pablo, I challenge anyone to come up with a nicer view from their bench!