HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2008, 11:34 AM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Discussion
Oh dear, is it just me but hovering side on one way taking more time than the other?!

Hello folks,
is it just me or is learning to hover with the nose pointing right harder to learn than with the nose pointing left? I learned to get a steady hover with the nose pointing left and heli body fairly level quite quickly, taking it from tail pointing to me to 90 deg nose left and back etc etc. However, I can't seem to get the nose past 70 deg when bringing nose to face right and the King II is certainly not as level as it was in the other direction?!?
Before attempting to learn side on I learnt to hover nose on and this wasn't as hard as side on nose to right!
Anyone else having this hassle?
turnbui is offline Find More Posts by turnbui
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2008, 11:55 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Yep, i'm going thru it, too.

I started tail-in. Then went nose left. Then nose right. Then nose-in.

After I got nose-in down OK, I still did nose left alright, but nose right almost always soon ends up with a "dumb thumb" input and I have to whip it back to tail-in to recover.

I think I spent a lot more time with nose-left than nose right, because since I went directly from nose-left to nose-right, the initial learning went faster for nose right since I already had a side-in mentality. So it came quicker and I moved on to nose-in. But when I try to go back to nose-right, it's hard now because of the small amount of time spent working on it.

Some part of me also thinks it might have to do with helicopters normally hovering tilted. You get that picture in your head of what it's supposed to look like, and then when you turn it around, it tilts the other way and your mental picture gets screwed up.

Remember, it's the helicopter's fault, not yours!
yeah...
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 08, 2008, 12:03 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
One side-in is usually different for a lot of people. Sometimes the left, sometimes the right. It evens out with more stick time. For me facing the heli right is easier than facing it left although both are fairly normal now.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Mar 08, 2008, 12:09 PM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Ah well, more practice then I guess. Can't ever have enuf of that.
Old Mar 08, 2008, 12:32 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
on the sim i learned at about the same rate for both sides .. going to the real thing though the heli does tilt slightly at a steady hover so as im watching the rotor it isnt an identical picture both ways ... i got used to it within a few batteries after i started hovering 360 degrees .. it helps me too if i hold it alittle higher .. that is, when im brave enough
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Mar 08, 2008, 03:07 PM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
OK thanks for your feedback. I'll just keep at it. Hopefully there'll be a calm enuf day so I can get a bigger area than 8 x 12 foot of the front room.
Old Mar 08, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hopelessly hooked
South Carolina USA
Joined Jul 2005
781 Posts
When training others to fly, if I see they are having issues with one side or another, I put the training gear on and have them practice lifting into a hover from the ground in the attitude that is causing them trouble. Once they get past it and can lift into a shakey hover, I eather let them practice until they can pull a steady hover from side on or just take the training gear off and have them go again at turning to that side while holding a hover....it depends on thier level of patience (some don't find honing individual orientations fun and having fun is key to them wanting to pay for broken parts).

Its just a suggestion...
Futura is offline Find More Posts by Futura
Old Mar 08, 2008, 08:43 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbui
Hopefully there'll be a calm enuf day so I can get a bigger area than 8 x 12 foot of the front room.

i know that feeling man...we had wind gusts close to 45 mph today !!! you never notice the wind until you start flying rc heli's ..
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Mar 08, 2008, 09:19 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
another interesting twist i just started looking into is i never realized it but i learned everything so far getting my orientation from the nose of the heli ... what i mean is i started flying tail-in but my orientation all the way up to hovering 360 degrees and directional movements were based on my orientation to the nose .. now ive started flying and maneuvering tail first, in other words backwards, also and that opens up a whole new can of worms
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Mar 08, 2008, 11:04 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
Yep, nose-right is harder for me than the rest.....just practice that the most.

Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn
Old Mar 08, 2008, 11:31 PM
I need more lipos!
West Covina, CA
Joined Dec 2007
370 Posts
All the orientations are hard for me except the tail-in
psicrest is offline Find More Posts by psicrest
Old Mar 09, 2008, 12:15 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
its normal to have one side be more of a challenge.. you will also find that going in a circuit one way is generally easier for you than the other.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Mar 09, 2008, 12:51 AM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
It's good to know I'm not the only one. What's worse is that 90 degrees between right-side-in and nose-in. To make things worse, I get my airplane orientation from which direction it's heading. Just doesn't work for helis.

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Mar 09, 2008, 01:50 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATINUM
its normal to have one side be more of a challenge.. you will also find that going in a circuit one way is generally easier for you than the other.
This holds in skating: most people turn and spin in one direction more easily than the other.
The majority prefer to turn/spin counter-clockwise,
also known as turning/spinning left
or leading with the right side (the right hand is on the outside of the turn and moving forward a lot on a left turn, while the left hand is on the inside of the turn and moving a lot less on a left turn).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Mar 09, 2008, 09:10 AM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Again folks, I appreciate your feedback. After 4 more batteries I'm getting another 10 degrees b4 I lose it and have to spin back to tail-in. But I'm slowly getting there. I'm glad some others also have this problem tho', makes me feel better.

Futura - I'll definately try lifting off in that orientation. Thanks for the tip.

What would help if any of you have a video camera is perhaps showing both the Tx movements and the heli as it responds [if possible] to a tail in to the nose moving right to 90 degrees. Not owning a video myself I guess this would be hard.