Old Mar 07, 2008, 02:51 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
New Product
Cularis canopy upgrade.

I guess this is the place to put this.
After Having about 20 people ask why I haven't made a conversion kit available I did some checking around about the Cularis.
Most asked for a clear canopy but right away I found the need for a skid plate.
Most guys are using clear tape to protect the belly so in this conversion kit I'm including a formed PETG belly pan .020 thick.
It goes from the back of the spinner to well beyond the ground contact point.
I'm leaving the final trim up to you.
I believe clear silicone will hold the pan in place just fine but CA will work as well.

(PETG is the same material soft drink bottles are made from.)
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2008, 02:53 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
canopy

The factory has provided an excellent canopy that fits well and is easy to attach and remove.
To retain this feature I'm using the original canopy as a frame to hold the clear canopy.
Much like the twister conversion.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725135
I started with a strip of 1/4 inch masking tape around the edge.
This marks off the bottom of the frame.

I used a hot wire to cut the foam from the frame. The hot wire was held vertical and the first cut was along the tape edge on the visible side. on the bottom I allowed about 1/2 inch from the tape.
The next cut was to remove the 1/2 inch I allowed on the bottom. the rest was simply block sanding. these cuts could be made with a razor but in the thicker areas a hacksaw blade or something like will be needed.
Old Mar 07, 2008, 02:55 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
Bonding

I painted the inside of the frame black with "rattlecan" flat black then mounted it to the fuselage.
The canopy was rough trimmed and taped to the model to prevent it from moving while I marked the canopy with a sharpie pen.
After three test fits and a little additional trimming I sanded the inside edge of the canopy with 90 grit sandpaper.
The dark adhesive is JB weld.
I use it because it is very thick epoxy and sticks to just about everything. I applied the epoxy with a wiping motion along the inside edge and simply placed it on the frame.
Caution. the canopy has a static charge and will attract any epoxy strings hanging from your finger.
Old Mar 07, 2008, 02:58 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
Pilot

Now what is the point of having a clear canopy without a pilot figure???
To assemble the pilot I sand the back of the head halves until the plastic becomes thin then cut them free with a hobby knife.
All that's left is to apply model cement to the edges and bond the halves together.
Allow the head to dry overnight before sanding the seam.
To put the head in place the hole in the torso will have to be cut out to accept the neck.
Be sure to put the head on as deep as you can to clear the canopy.
Its sort of close.
I painted the figure with Acrylic paint and designed him to fit in the bottom of the canopy frame.
Old Mar 07, 2008, 02:59 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
With a little masking work I painted the canopy frame white. I did like the black frame but after seeing it in white I'm not sure.
You need to know that this is a borrowed model, that is to say its not mine . . .So
I have no idea how the CG will be effected but it couldn't be much and gliders normally have a wide CG range any way.
The base of the pilot figure should clear the servo arms from what I can tell but it will take completing the model to know for sure.
I'll have to get back with you.
Old Mar 07, 2008, 03:01 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
How about yours?

Do you want one for your Cularis?
$22 for a conversion kit. plus shipping.

You guys outside the US get a few buddies together to save on shipping because the shipping companies have lost their mind$.
Contact me direct for more details at Sparky2@att.net
If you send a PM expect a delay, The protection I have on my computer makes opening my PM's a time consuming process so I only do it once a day.
Old Mar 07, 2008, 03:34 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
I almost forgot, I'd rather not Break up a set. if you want just the belly pan go ahead and put the plastic shell over the gray canopy to gloss it up.and save the pilot for another project.
Old Mar 09, 2008, 04:59 AM
If it flys I can crash it!!!
Townsville, Australia.
Joined Jan 2007
615 Posts
G'day Sparkey,
Sent a couple of email but they bounced back- unsent? .. any way, chasing a price for the Cularis + Twister conversions sent to Australia, 4814.

Cheers, Paul.
scatcat1 is offline Find More Posts by scatcat1
Old Mar 09, 2008, 09:42 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
Paul,
Can't remember if I answered you or not. I think I did but just in case it would be $57.25 for both including shipping.
Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:42 PM
United States, AZ, Camp Verde
Joined Jan 2007
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
Do you want one for your Cularis?
$22 for a conversion kit. plus shipping.

You guys outside the US get a few buddies together to save on shipping because the shipping companies have lost their mind$.
Contact me direct for more details at Sparky2@att.net
If you send a PM expect a delay, The protection I have on my computer makes opening my PM's a time consuming process so I only do it once a day.
I want one of these Kits. Please PM me with the amount including shipping.
I will send it to you by PAY-PAL. My Zip is 86322.
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2008
402 Posts
Hello,

I am also interested in this kit. can you send a PM with the price + shipping ? I can also use paypal

thanks,

vincent.
sancho28 is online now Find More Posts by sancho28
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:29 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
Dealer needed

Vincent, Shipping has been the largest problem with this up-grade kit.
(As well as other kits I've been asked to make.)
Shipping to Europe is around $20 to $24 and the kit cost for the Cularis is $20.
This is unacceptable to most including myself.
I've been asking people from "over there" to find a friend that might want to share the cost of shipping to make it more affordable. ( three kits will weigh right at 2 pounds putting it in the $24 shipping range)

If you guys in Europe or Australia know a dealer that carries the Twister, Cularis or the Fun Jet copy the below message and make them aware of your needs.

I have contacted hobby dealers overseas asking if they would be interested in dealing these kits with no reply. They must think that I'm some crazy American that cant deliver.
I can make the kits in quantity if ordered with a substantial reduction per kit.
I would also direct any one from outside the United States to them.
My contact information is parkflyerplastics@att.net

Twister upgrade kit $10
The thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725135

Cularis upgrade kit $20
The thread . . . . . . . .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830159

Fun Jet upgrade kit $10
The thread . . . . . . . .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765777

E-flight cowl / pilot upgrade $8
No thread

Foamosa conversion $19
conversion thread . . . . . .

Ripmax Spitfire Cowl upgrade $8
No thread

RC groups spam rules keeps me from posting the links all at one time so I'll do it through edits later .

Sparky
Last edited by sparks; Apr 03, 2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:45 AM
Pontificating Member
Atlanta
Joined May 2003
4,297 Posts
Gorgeous! An obvious and immediate upgrade to this model, as all your stuff so far has been. Just great Sparky!
tone is offline Find More Posts by tone
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:49 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
Cularis canopy upgrade.

Hi Sparks,
I was thinking about a Clear canopy when I built mine, and you made it happen! Very nice!! for sure.
Now you need to do one for this new "Multiplex Easy Glider PRO", here is a photo of it. Should be in the USA in a couple of months. Thank you,
Joe Pierson
Scale builder
Kerman Ca.
USA
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:16 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,593 Posts
Easy Glider Pro. something is wrong with the name It comes out sounding like Bubble Bath Eextreme. Very good looking model though, Graceful lines like a good glider should have.
The chances that I get to borrow one of these are good.
I have a load of friends willing to turn over their NIB models for me to tool from.
Time will tell.
For now I finally have an L-39 on the way from Tower Hobbies.
It's been on order since November.
This one shouldn't take long at all unless I get involved in a bunch of cockpit details.