HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2008, 01:27 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Discussion
Profile 39" ME 163B Komet

I've been working on this in parallel with my voodoo, Some shots of the two pieces with carbon in the wings, and the assembled wing/fuse. Wingspan is 39" and length 25". Will fit a grayson parkjet, unfortunately this weight will require a bit of nose weight plus a 2100 3S pack, AUW shoudl be around 14 oz, with around 275 sq inches of area, this motor will make this plane really move. Airframe weight is 4 oz, if I were to run a small 1oz C20 I could run a 1320 pack and get it down around 9oz.

For the nose/prop I used a spare prop/spinner from a cox micro warbird, cut down the prop and mounted on a 1/8" carbon rod.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A few Rocket glider shots.....
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2008, 03:03 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Here's the painted finished product.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2008, 03:11 AM
The Ultimate Interceptor!
United States, CA, Hilmar-Irwin
Joined Dec 2004
829 Posts
She looks great Frank!
DeltaDart is offline Find More Posts by DeltaDart
Old Mar 09, 2008, 06:46 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,547 Posts
Nice job Frank. You'll love how the 163 flies. I've built three of them and they all flew well. It's just a natural planform for good flight.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Mar 09, 2008, 11:16 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Now, I'll have to agree I got out and maidened early this morning, final painted model needed a bit more nose weight for CG, she was still a bit tail heavy, nothing I couldn't fly around, no drastic stalls or anything, just very very pitch sensitive, I landed and reduced throws a bit so I could get some more testing done, in all, very very nice. It glides very well, landings are a piece of cake. Loops are rediculously tight, rolls were a bit slow due to my reduced throws, slow flight is very very slow, as it gets too nose up and very slow, it it looses roll response slowly, just wants to mush, a bit of power and no problem. I did my normal test to go vertical, and chop the throttle, once it starts to fall back, it did three very very fast pivots around the CG, I almost through it wasn't going to stop, so I gave a bit of throttle, it recovered inverted, and I was fine. It looks great in the air, and flies great fast and slow with just the flat plate wing. Inverted was nearly hands off.
Interesting, I treated it like a delta with a little up elevator on launch, but it actually needed neutral to slightly down trim.

I will add a bit more nose weight so that I can reduce the pitch sensitivity and be able to increase throws a bit more for roll rate. Flies very nicely down low, fast or slow. Even at my new CG weight of 17 oz, on that grayson motor, it just putters around at about 1/4 throttle and 1/2 throttle is fairly quick.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Nice job Frank. You'll love how the 163 flies. I've built three of them and they all flew well. It's just a natural planform for good flight.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2008, 09:29 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Got some video this morning, a little more nose weight and it flies like a champ, especially nice inverted.

Here's the video link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...75&postcount=1
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:02 AM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Nice work, Frank.
Comet's one of my favorites as well.

Jasta
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:58 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Thanks! Only issue, I saw a bit of wing flutter in a couple of high power, high speed loop pullouts, the wing is pretty stiff, but is thin, so I may just need to watch the speed with this one.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasta_66
Nice work, Frank.
Comet's one of my favorites as well.

Jasta
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2008, 01:05 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Plans are posted now in the pusher jets plans thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:14 PM
Joined Oct 2007
25 Posts
Thanks a ton for posting the plans. This is next on my list. Im planning on using a 2409-18 turning a 9x6. I have one of the little grayson screamers but i burned up CC ESC and 2000mah battery so I'm a little gun shy.
MudMarine is offline Find More Posts by MudMarine
Old Apr 30, 2008, 04:19 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Mud, what was the prop you were running with the grayson, I've heard of a few having some issues, but normally if you stick with 6x4 or smaller you are ok, that's what I'm running on the 10 or so I have and don't have any problems with the 30 amp controllers and 1320's or 2100's I use them with.

Just curious.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMarine
Thanks a ton for posting the plans. This is next on my list. Im planning on using a 2409-18 turning a 9x6. I have one of the little grayson screamers but i burned up CC ESC and 2000mah battery so I'm a little gun shy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:02 PM
Thomas Pedersen, Denmark
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
Hi,
Just wondering: Where did the CG end up??
Regards

Thomas Pedersen
Denmark
altidsulten is offline Find More Posts by altidsulten
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:42 PM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
Nice! I did a small 20" version a while back that I never could get to fly to my liking. Sounds like yours did great.

May have to try it again!
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:40 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Thanks, I'm running my CG at about 9.75" back from the nose, without the dummy spinner attached, if you go to page 12 of the pusher parkjet plans link, you can print out the plans and see it marked also.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2008, 11:46 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Update with rocket pod

Just an update, since I've been starting to do rocket power, I decided to move my pusher motor to the nose, and put a rocket pod in the rear. In doing so I was able to remove a lot of nose weight that was just balast for the rear mounted motor. Now with the same grayson parkjet, I'm at 12.5 oz rtf with a 1320 pack, instead of 17 with a 2100 pack, and with the E-6 rocket motor mounted and a separate ignition 3s battery adjusting for CG, the AUW with electric AND rocket is 16 oz. This should be an even better performer now. Will do handlaunch electric and airstart rocket. Hopefully this weekend some video. Theoretically, I could also put in my pusher purple peril pod into the rocket tube and have a pusher puller for the same 16 oz auw.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Dec 03, 2008 at 11:08 AM.