HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 06, 2008, 10:24 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
darthdrk's Avatar
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Cool
450 size MI-24 Hind D project on the move again

Having the Hind Bug has put me back on this project again. This is my second prototype fuselage of the Hind D. I still have the first. Still adding detail to this one. Added all the window and door details Also added the wheel door details. I still have some shaping to do on the upper mold cowling. This is another big body. Its more 450 size friendly than my other Hind D. For the mechanics, Im thinking of pulling the King2 modified mechanics out of my Blackhawk and installing it inside of this Hind (About a 20 min job) but before I do that, I have to make a chassis mounting plate which I plan on doing this one with fixed wheeled landing gear.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2008, 10:27 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
darthdrk's Avatar
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
The tail gearbox housing will be switchable to either side of the tailfin for the option of putting the tailrotor on the same side as the full scale Hind. Me, Im keeping this one pretty simple
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 05:56 AM
LHS Counter Jockey
wiley0717's Avatar
USA, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2007
110 Posts
Nice work!
wiley0717 is offline Find More Posts by wiley0717
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 08:26 AM
Registered User
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
722 Posts
Brings back memories of the early '90s when I was involved with a program that made full size fiberglass fuselages of the Mi 24 attack helicopter, hung it on old S-55 Sikorsky helicopters, added a remote controlled autopilot, and flew these at White Sands Missile Range as full scale targets for missile tests.

Brings a whole new meaning to "nose in hover" when it's a full scale RC about 25 feet off the landing pad one to two hundred feet away from you! Makes you question your sanity!

John Ihlein
Albuquerque, NM
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 08:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2007
408 Posts
Looking good Darth! If this is a trade secret, i understand, but im curious, do you shape the parts from foam or some other material then vacu-form them when you get em like you want em? Or do you form them as you go? You must have infinite patience. lol
daddyztoyz is offline Find More Posts by daddyztoyz
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 09:17 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
darthdrk's Avatar
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyztoyz
Looking good Darth! If this is a trade secret, i understand, but im curious, do you shape the parts from foam or some other material then vacu-form them when you get em like you want em? Or do you form them as you go? You must have infinite patience. lol
Trust me, its a time consuming chore. I dont use foam to make any of my plugs, it wont take the heat involved in vac forming.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 10:26 AM
Prop me up
cloud-9's Avatar
New Mexico, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk
Having the Hind Bug has put me back on this project again. This is my second prototype fuselage of the Hind D. I still have the first. Still adding detail to this one. Added all the window and door details Also added the wheel door details. I still have some shaping to do on the upper mold cowling. This is another big body. Its more 450 size friendly than my other Hind D. For the mechanics, Im thinking of pulling the King2 modified mechanics out of my Blackhawk and installing it inside of this Hind (About a 20 min job) but before I do that, I have to make a chassis mounting plate which I plan on doing this one with fixed wheeled landing gear.

Wow, these are extremely neat. What are they made out of? (sorry if I'm late to the thread)

Do you have plans of the Hind you work from?

Hind was always my favorite Heli. Looks mean!

Jim
cloud-9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud-9
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 11:57 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
FresnoJay's Avatar
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Nice work Dark. Reminds me of my military days at JRTC in LA.. If I were to get into Heli it would be with one of these beauties or an Apache. Again Nice work.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 12:54 PM
Registered User
dude_109's Avatar
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,733 Posts
Please Darth, make these scales in micro heli sizes, i.e 300!!!
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 02:13 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
darthdrk's Avatar
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109
Please Darth, make these scales in micro heli sizes, i.e 300!!!
The micro hind has been done now for a while. Heres a pic of mine suited up on the Honeybee CP2
as far as material im using to form these, Im using High Impact polystyrene plastic. Easy material to work with.
Usually when designing a body I gather up alot of pictures and try to get ahold of some 3 view drawings. I also have to take in consideration the many different variants sometimes associated with the type of heli. I try to capture the basic essence of the helicopter and sometimes the modeler will work wonders with the basic fuselage.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 02:19 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
darthdrk's Avatar
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Good illustration of what Ive seen modelers do is this blackhawk
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 03:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2007
408 Posts
Patience!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk
Good illustration of what Ive seen modelers do is this blackhawk
Nice work, whoever did that one. Infinite patience might be an understatement for you and they. LOL
daddyztoyz is offline Find More Posts by daddyztoyz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My MI-24 Hind D Corona Fuze darthdrk Electric Heli Talk 16 Sep 12, 2007 10:30 AM
Discussion MI-24 Hind D Micro/HBCP2/BCP/P Fuselage darthdrk Micro Helis 20 Mar 10, 2007 04:21 PM
Discussion Mi-24 Hind on (4stroke O.S.) Hirobo Shuttle jlagran Heli Scale Helicopters 6 Sep 24, 2006 11:30 PM
MI-24 Hind plug bat Micro Helis 16 Apr 26, 2004 09:12 AM