HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:19 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
Build Log
Kit/Plan Fun Build contest-Dumas Waco YMF-5

Well, Johnny Frost has persuaded me into a second Entry in the fun build.
I will be attempting to build the Dumas Waco YMF-5.

Running gear:
XT400Essky BL
TB 18 speed controller
2 HS55 Hitec Servos
And a receiver yet to be determined (pirated)

I am leaning torward a scheme that the late great Jimmy Franklin had flown, He was and always will be my favorite aerobatic stunt flyer. I had first seen his performance at the Ankeny Iowa RC Airshow back in the late 80’s early 90’s , that was quite a show, after the show I got to meet Jimmy and his wing walker Lee. they autographed my ticket stub that I cherish till this day.

I hope you enjoy my build and feel free to step in , I’ll need a few pointers along the way I’m sure .

I started by making the forms for the rudder, stab, and wing tip laminations out of art foam board, Then zipped them through the bandsaw so I could make all the laminations at once, I tried the wax candle trick on the edge of the forms that I had read here somewhere, that little trick worked great, they fell right out the next morning. now that the laminations are all made up I should be able to cruise right along

now to start glueing things together

Glenn
shrub wacker is offline Find More Posts by shrub wacker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:03 PM
What????
SoCal "The High Desert"
Joined Nov 2003
126 Posts
Sweet! I have one of these kits in the que myself. When you're done can I have your lamination templates?...........I do have somewhat of a lazy streak (kidding, but no, really!)
uavdb is offline Find More Posts by uavdb
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:18 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
uavdb, I just sent ya a PM.

Glenn
Old Mar 06, 2008, 04:04 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Added your entry

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Mar 06, 2008, 10:23 AM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
Thanks John,

After the laminations were dry I built up the rudder and horizontal stabilizer, sanded them up and cut the slots for the CA hinges. oop's glued two hinges in by mistake , I'll have to cover around them now ,

Glenn
Old Mar 06, 2008, 12:21 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Glen, you are a very neat builder and keep a nice workshop. Nice pictures too. I hesitate to take pictures of my work because of the mess: combinations of globbed up with glue wax paper, pins everywhere, with little bits of balsa of all sizes mixing in, along with clamps, saws, razors, maybe a marker if I can every find it, and spilled coffee. Ugh. Maybe tonite, just for yucks, I'll shoot a pic without any attempt to clean up. You wouldn't hire me to build a real plane if you looked at my workbench and I could never host a build log thread with such a mess. I do try clean it up between projects.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Mar 06, 2008, 12:29 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Glen, I am even more impressed with your nice construction when I zoom in. Very neat work. I is a shame to have to cover that construction. It almost looks like hardwood instead of balsa it is so nicely finished. I wonder if you need such wide hinges. I am no expert, but have been cutting my hinges about 1/4" wide, maybe a tad wider. I would appreciate some feedback on this.
Old Mar 06, 2008, 03:51 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
Thanks Joe, I kinda clean up the bench for photos , otherwise ya wouldn't be able to see what I was glueing together Yours sounds like it is coming along nice, Post some pictures , messy benches don't bother me

BTW , I have always used CA hinges that size, I do cut a little off them and 45 the corners so they slide in easier .

Glenn
Old Mar 06, 2008, 04:40 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Glenn,

Nice job! John has also been encouraging me to try another entry. Anyway thanks for sharing that lamination trick. Very helpful. Keep the pictures coming your moving along nicely.

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Mar 06, 2008, 05:11 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
Thanks Mark, I can't take credit for the lamination trick though, I picked that one up here on RCG, I just hope I can complete this one before the dead line, I may be starting a new job so I won't have as much time on my hands(Doh!)

Glenn
Old Mar 06, 2008, 05:19 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Glenn ,

Can't tell you enough , but use a bass motor stick instead of balsa If you need one let me know I have several The balsa one almost cost me my Waco

-John
Old Mar 06, 2008, 05:25 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofrost
Glenn ,

Can't tell you enough , but use a bass motor stick instead of balsa If you need one let me know I have several The balsa one almost cost me my Waco

-John

Lets see, thats part# MM1X2 and one MM2, I was thinking on using a peice of ply for MM2 and using the existing MM1 parts. do ya think that would be strong enough?

Glenn
Old Mar 06, 2008, 05:35 PM
It flew once before...
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Glenn ,

Actually you don't need a stick mount with the 400XT ( doh ) My mistake , but you will need to build it out a bit . For that I'd do something like I did in my Lysander for mounting the motor ( very similar mounting as the 400XT )

-John

Something like this . The front is a ply/balsa/ply sandwich ( 1/32 ply )
Last edited by jofrost; Mar 06, 2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: photo and comment added
Old Mar 06, 2008, 07:09 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
So much to think about when changing ones design , Although I have that lens CDRom motor still and that is stick mounted , building the ply mounting box for the xt400 could add un-wanted weight up front ,don't ya think.

Glenn
Old Mar 06, 2008, 07:23 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I too was wondering about the balsa mount. On my Dumas Tiger Moth I laminated thin ply all around it. On my Super Cub I did a built up type mount like John shows above, ply balsa sandwich. My motor will take either mount. I may do the built up, as it seems sturdier.