SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2008, 05:26 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Discussion
Build a custom FPV plane from individual parts...

Someone posted this link in another thread on a different, and I thought it deserved it's own thread for further discussion in here.
Nasty Toes Aviation sells airplane parts made from EPS foam. You can start with a basic design, and mix and match different components to get the final product, or order individual wing sections (with a choice of different airfoils) fuselage sections, booms, motor mounts, etc. and then put your own design together from the modular parts. Your limited to a wing chord that is a max of 10", but that should be plenty for what most of us would use for this application.

http://nastytoesaviation.com/store.asp

I already have a few ideas of how I can put together my ideal FPV ship using these parts. I can see how a modified P-61 would be a good template to start from, or perhaps twin boom pusher.

Any comments or ideas from you guys?
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2008, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,206 Posts
If you're bold you can create a F-106 like model using a few of the parts and some Depron or Blue Foam. I've created one, but it wasn't for FPV. I was going to do a TBP but messed up the mounts for the booms.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:02 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
I've got a set of their Eppler 474 (symetric airfoil) mid sweep taper wings that I'm going to be building into an aerobatic FPV plane with a pusher prop configuration. Sorta similar to an Easystar configuration, but with a smaller wingspan, no dihedral, and plenty of control throw. Been planning it for quite some time. Just haven't had the time to start building yet.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
I've got a set of their Eppler 474 (symetric airfoil) mid sweep taper wings that I'm going to be building into an aerobatic FPV plane with a pusher prop configuration.
I have the same set but the 139 cuts. I was going to build kinda a ElCheepo Profile Pusher plane. Just haven't had the time to draw out the idea. Although after playing with the SeaWind on the sim I'm debating if I want to mount the motor up that high.

Here's a pic of what I was working on at the time..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by typicalaimster; Mar 05, 2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2008, 03:27 AM
USA, WV, Charles Town
Joined Mar 2005
631 Posts
I was glad to have run across their site while Googling for other project parts. I just wish I had found them before I bought three Slow Stick slopeglider kits.

I will probably be ordering stuff from them this week.
aeronuts is offline Find More Posts by aeronuts
Old Mar 07, 2008, 11:42 PM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
typicalaimster I think you and me have been designing the same plane, but you are actually building, awesome. I have been looking for a wing to "borrow" for my project, this nastytoes stuff might be perfect.
Dave
CATPart is offline Find More Posts by CATPart
Old Mar 08, 2008, 03:32 AM
USA, WV, Charles Town
Joined Mar 2005
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATPart
typicalaimster I think you and me have been designing the same plane, but you are actually building, awesome. I have been looking for a wing to "borrow" for my project, this nastytoes stuff might be perfect.
Dave
Your design is very close to what I want to build. I'm not an experienced scratch builder for task oriented planes. I've designed and built some FFF funflyers, but that's about it.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from NastyToes last night, and am hoping to be able to put together a good FPV/AP platform. I could use some tips for strengthening the airframe, and the best method to join some of the parts. I have some ideas, but I tend to overbuild stuff, resulting in unnecessary additional weight.

I plan on using some balsa, ply, and CF to reinforce things during the build, but some pointers would be appreciated. I can never seem to find the kind of stuff I'm looking for doing searches.
aeronuts is offline Find More Posts by aeronuts
Old Mar 08, 2008, 08:17 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,206 Posts
I usually order from ACP Composites.. http://www.acp-composites.com/ACP-CAT.HTM

When I was building the foam version I messed up the wing/boom support. I didn't notice it until everything was glued together on one side.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2008, 09:06 AM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Quote:
I could use some tips for strengthening the airframe, and the best method to join some of the parts. I have some ideas, but I tend to overbuild stuff, resulting in unnecessary additional weight.
I have found many other sources for C/F that are usually cheaper than ACP, here's one of my favorites...
http://www.goodwindskites.com/merch/...?cat=framework

The usual technique is to use carbon strips embedded vertically into the surface of the foam. For a wing, the best place is usually the thickest place on the airfoil, top and bottom. For the fuselage, do the same along the length in a few places. Besides adding regidity, it will help tie the different modules of foam together.

In the first pic that Typicalaimster posted, you can see the concept demonstrated on his wings
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Mar 08, 2008, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10000
In the first pic that Typicalaimster posted, you can see the concept demonstrated on his wings
I'll have to bookmark that site!

I cut out a rib template for E193 or whatever the airfoil was. I marked on the wing where the upper and lower's of the wing was located. I then drew a line connecting the dots. After that I used a soldering gun to melt a groove in the wing. I then epoxied the rod into place. As final prep I did a minwax and glass covering over the wing.. Did the whole fill and sand thing with light weight filler. Then did the El-Cheepo paint job.

I ended up gluing the rib template to the wing. I figured it would allow me to square it off to the fuse. When I noticed I screwed everything up I figured I'd bust the wings apart. With the CF rod in place plus the Glass/Minwax the plane can take a beating.

Thing is after everything was said and done the plane weighed about as much as a balsa plane. I find balsa and laser cutting a bit easier to work with. I ended up going that route instead. Granted I probably went a bit overkill with things. However I've had issues with foam planes coming apart.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2008, 07:45 PM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
I think I agree, an overbuilt foam wing will be heavy. i think the key is not to cover it, leave it like a multiplex wing. by the way you can buy a foam 64 inch multiplex magister wing for 37 dollars. a balsa Electristar wing is 53 dollars. with prices like I really can't justify a custom wing design, unless going for something unusual. I think I am going fo the Electristar wing with my project. i like to browse towerhobbies for wings:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=ATA
Last edited by CATPart; Mar 08, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2008, 09:07 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
Quote:
I think I agree, an overbuilt foam wing will be heavy. i think the key is not to cover it, leave it like a multiplex wing. by the way you can buy a foam 64 inch multiplex magister wing for 37 dollars. a balsa Electristar wing is 53 dollars. with prices like I really can't justify a custom wing design, unless going for something unusual. I think I am going fo the Electristar wing with my project. i like to browse towerhobbies for wings:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=ATA

that airfoil looks pretty thick, might want to go for a glider type wing.
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Mar 09, 2008, 12:28 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,206 Posts
Quote:
with prices like I really can't justify a custom wing design, unless going for something unusual.
The last time I cut a 'short kit' it was about $40. That included all the wood, laser cutting, and shipping. The price of all the tid bits like control horns, landing gear, linkages, etc etc.. That's what drives the price up by nickel and dimming things to death.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2008, 09:11 AM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
40 dollars seems really reasonable, who did you use for cutting?
Old Mar 09, 2008, 10:22 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,206 Posts
AK-Models. I'm drafting a new plane. I'll post the details of cost when I have it cut.
RCG Plus Member