SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2008, 05:49 PM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
here it is,.. the photo is not that great,.. the forward section is actually a sky/powder blue,.. hot as heck!!!
Blueangels4 is offline Find More Posts by Blueangels4
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2008, 07:26 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueangels4
awesome,... found it!!! thank you so much! I suppose its only a matter of time till someone builds this sucker in full form huh?,.. if you dont mind could i redraw these on the computer for you so it can fit on one page and people can print this out at kinkos and whatnot?
blueangels4, i've got a set of F-101 plans cooking as we speak. i've been working on it for a number of weeks on and off. just trying to find some time to finish her off and then start building her. i'll start up a build thread once i've got some build pictures to post. here is what i have so far...
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:00 PM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
Hey Beanie!!! very awesome!!!,.. I will be at an airshow this weekend and there will be an F-101B on display there!! I can take multitude upon multitudes of "walk-around" pics for you,.. make a list and I will take as many pics for you,.. send me a PM with your address and I will burn a CD and send them to you!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:10 PM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
here are some model pics! i will try out this scheme on with this awesome profile VOODOO! first and then beanies!

let me know if I can help you in any way,..if you want me to test out anything for you while you build,.. patterns,.. construction,.. let me know I am no expert on the electronic side but decals and such I can do that in my sleep!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:21 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,737 Posts
cool blueangels4! i may take you up on the offer. i'm always looking for a good reliable beta builder when the time gets closer to completion. i usually only post the plans if there has been a successful flight. i'm always scouring the web looking for as many shots of the planes that i design from as many angles and as many perspectives and distances as possible. it helps me interpret the 3-views and translate them into a 3-d foam structure in my head that i can then put down on paper/computer and figure out plans. i'm eventually going to do a B-17, and at the last 2 airshows i went to, i shot off about 140 pics of that bird. the more pics the better in my mind! closeups and far-ups and different angles esp of all the little dodads that hang off the bird are useful to help capture some scale details. i make all my designs scale without and cheats on the wing of tail. some pics of the inlet and splitter would be great. as well as pics showing the bottom fuse/wing transition from before the wing to aft of the wing. also, pics of those 2 ventral fins with a scale sense (ie, how big those fins are relative to the inlet splitters or something like that). different angles are always great, but a perpendicular shot is always key as well.
-beanie
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:57 PM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
sweet!,..I blew out at least 500 shots on the blue angels last year ( I LOVE MY DIGITAL CAMERA ),..you want it you got it!! personally I have depron stored up in my garage so I am not afraid to use it up,.. flight or no flight,.. I wanna help!

the model pics I posted are from the web BUT I do have unconstructed VOODOO models that are also excellent for reference,.. infact REVELL recently re-released monograms 1/48th scale F-101B VOODOO sells for 16$ if you dont have any I can take picks of those parts too

burkefj's profile is awesomely inspiring and i will build it because the voodoo is closer to my heart than any other plane,..
1 because I grew up beside a based that had a squadron of them always on high alert,..
2 because the familiar sound of BOOM,..BOOM,.. as they hauled A** down the runway to intercept
3 because of all the great stories and friendships I made with Voodoo pilots

I really should be working on build GGRNs Kfir and also my secret depron A-10 project BUT I think they may have to take a back seat to the voodoo,.. that way I have one ready to show my friend when he comes down to visit,.. he will love this profile too it will be painted up in his colors,.. I can see my wifes eyes rolling over my switch in planes,.. I also plan on making a depron Lancaster Bomber and also a 1930's british air racer,... personally for me,.. its all about the creating and building!

gimme a stab at the canopy if you have the plans/3-views at scale, email them to me,..Ill start carving a plug and getting it ready for vacuum form,.. and pestering J Morgan to educate me along the way
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:10 AM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
I also stumbled across an old set of plans that shows a concealled way to control the t-tail,.. its nothing new But Very interesting i will post a rough sketch soon
Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:14 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
That's a neat paint scheme, and Beanie, the 3-d version is looking good!

Depending on the size, you can probably do the tail something similar to how I run mine, just with the horn inbetween the hollow tail, and the servo down in the body, as opposed to on the righthand side.

Everytime I drive to Seattle to visit Mom, I see the Voodoo they have on the pedestal near Mcchord air force base...And the Nike and honest john missiles at the Fort Lewis Museum, right next to the freeway, man I always have to look, my 12 year old son could care less, sigh.....At least my daughter likes to video tape

Frank
burkefj is online now Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Natter
Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:01 AM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
yes thats exactly how the tail is constructed! I was thinking 3 layers of 2mm with a little channel strip cut out for the push rod to follow through then the horns pointing up

I miss seattle! I remember driving by boeing (coming from vancouver) and seeing some military planes take off,.. very awesome!,..MY oldest son loves airplanes,.. he cant wait long enough for the airshow to come! for 3 1/2 years old,.. thats cool!,.. my wife on the other hand,.. rolls her eyes! LOL
Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:23 AM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
burkefj Are you able to post or email me or fax some of your documentation? the only three views I have are from my model plane

you can fax to 1 661-554-1333 if possible I will PM email to you
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:24 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,737 Posts
blueangels4- i'm planning on using a flying stab setup. its one that i think GGRN came up with. that has worked nicely and takes off much of the aerodynamic pressures compared to a single torque tube setup. i've used that type of design in my cougar design as well as the B-1B. i wish i had used it in my Boeing 727 and MiG-15 designs the way J did. J can fill you in with all the details on pulling canopies. his advice has been priceless for me. i built a vaccuum box based on his recommendations. i then used dcobra's method of making a plaster of paris mold after making a positive foam mold, followed by negative insta-mold mold and finally positive plaster of paris mold. it does take some practice (at least for me). if you've got a ton of pics, we could start up a separate thread for the pics so that we'd avoid sidetracking burkejf's thread.

burkefj- thanks for your pioneering efforts! the CG data will help give a ball park range on the full fuse model.

-beanie
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:36 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
I used a 3-view from a french web site with lots of 3 views:
then used a book I got with a Revell model about the century series to
draw the B model canopy.

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/f101_3v.jpg

Frank

Quote:
burkefj Are you able to post or email me or fax some of your documentation? the only three views I have are from my model plane

you can fax to 1 661-554-1333 if possible I will PM email to you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:38 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Beanie, can you post a picture of the different flying stab setup?
I've never had any issues with my setup, but I'm always willing to improve.
Feel free to post pictures here, I don't mind the hijacking, I'm finding it interesting

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
blueangels4- i'm planning on using a flying stab setup. its one that i think GGRN came up with. that has worked nicely and takes off much of the aerodynamic pressures compared to a single torque tube setup. if you've got a ton of pics, we could start up a separate thread for the pics so that we'd avoid sidetracking burkejf's thread.

burkefj- thanks for your pioneering efforts! the CG data will help give a ball park range on the full fuse model.

-beanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:33 PM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
yes thats true i dont want to over take this thread either,.. its already been inspiring with out me mucking it up LOL!
when I get back from the airshow i will post a thread call VOODOO WALKAROUND or something to that nature,..maybe in the mean time I will work on my secret project!

burkefj do you have the "b" canopy as well?,.. i just want to make sure i am redrawing your profile plane to your specs that way everything matches up,.. I may throw in some ideas for decals on the blueprints for an Air National Guard Squadron,.. plus my biased favorite!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 05:13 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
I found some here:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/f101ds.html

On mine, I used the photos I had, not the 3-view, so it might be off a bit,
also, you'll notice my afterburners don't look as long relative to the wing, they are the right length, however since i don't have a "fuse" the wing goes further back till it hits the body to keep the same wing angle, to it intersects the afterburners further back, just part of the "profile" thing, same with the wing leading edge.

Quote:
yes thats true i dont want to over take this thread either,.. its already been inspiring with out me mucking it up LOL!
when I get back from the airshow i will post a thread call VOODOO WALKAROUND or something to that nature,..maybe in the mean time I will work on my secret project!

burkefj do you have the "b" canopy as well?,.. i just want to make sure i am redrawing your profile plane to your specs that way everything matches up,.. I may throw in some ideas for decals on the blueprints for an Air National Guard Squadron,.. plus my biased favorite!
RCG Plus Member