HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2008, 02:53 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
572 Posts
Discussion
Maiden Flight VIDEO of my 1/8 Royal Corsair!

Flew my 1/8 Royal Corsair last Sunday, thought some of you might want to see a video of a Royal airplane flying, video’s of this event seem to be rare! On my YouTube channel you can also see the video of its construction if you are interested.

Luke
CLICK HERE For Maiden VIDEO!
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2008, 02:56 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
572 Posts
I built it from scratch, it did not start life as a kit. I got a stock cowl on ebay and got started! This video details my 1/8 Royal Corsairs construction:

Construction
Old Mar 05, 2008, 03:45 PM
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
307 Posts
looks awesome, good job!
andernamen is offline Find More Posts by andernamen
Old Mar 05, 2008, 06:20 PM
Hanford, California
Joined Apr 2006
14 Posts
Wow. Good job and very well done. Thanks for sharing the videos with us also. It may inspire others to try things for themselves. I have an 40 size mustang wing with no fuse anymore, makes me want to try scratching up something to go with it..lol
Bill-F is offline Find More Posts by Bill-F
Old Mar 05, 2008, 11:49 PM
College Station, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
432 Posts
What outstanding work... VERY informative video.. easy to follow construction sequences... Makes me want to get out my dust mask and start sanding on some fresh wood!!!!!!

CONGRATS!! WHAT a VERY WELL DONE REPLICA CORSAIR!

-TOMAS
nemesis4u is offline Find More Posts by nemesis4u
Old Mar 06, 2008, 11:46 AM
Joined May 2004
126 Posts
Amazing work.
Foamyfoam is offline Find More Posts by Foamyfoam
Old Mar 07, 2008, 05:58 AM
Building a Corsair
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Jan 2006
232 Posts
Luke,

Flies great too - both the plane and pilot
How is your progress on the 1/6? Are you going to document/photo that build too?
PM me if you still have some 1/6 plans or know where I can get some. I'm going to build one of the Royal ones because like you said they are more scale.
rwright142 is offline Find More Posts by rwright142
Old Mar 07, 2008, 08:00 AM
Stupid ground....
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
209 Posts
That's a great lookin' corsair! Good job!
matwiyj is offline Find More Posts by matwiyj
Old Mar 07, 2008, 08:03 AM
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
307 Posts
I'm glad your maiden went well. A friend and fellow club member just maidened his last sunday. He had his since high school days - 20+ years old, finally finished it. Had bellcranks in ailerons. Took off on low rates, started rolling right and just kept going, not enough control - destroyed it! Felt so bad for the guy! There is a video of it that I really want to see
andernamen is offline Find More Posts by andernamen
Old Mar 07, 2008, 10:27 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andernamen
I'm glad your maiden went well. A friend and fellow club member just maidened his last sunday. He had his since high school days - 20+ years old, finally finished it. Had bellcranks in ailerons. Took off on low rates, started rolling right and just kept going, not enough control - destroyed it! Felt so bad for the guy! There is a video of it that I really want to see
Sorry to hear about your friends plane, very sad day. Bellcranks are used in the full scale Corsair and I use them instead of servos (my Corsair has 4 bellcranks in the wing), it is important to keep the wings as light as possible, but especially important in a Corsair. That is why the Corsair had fabric on the outer panels. More than likely it was due to a warped wing, in the instructions it tells you the plane must be built "free hand"! I developed a simple jig system for building both the wing and the fuselage, my plane flew without needing any trim, so a jig is the only way to go. His wing probably had a twist in it starting at the center section all the way out to the tip. Please if you find the video post it so we can try and see what happened.

Hey Bill, glad I inspired you to do some work on your P-51!

Richard I sent you an email, but I will say it here, I am building a 1/6 scale version of the .60 Royal Corsair.

Thanks everyone for the compliments, I'm glad you enjoyed my videos!

Luke