HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2008, 05:52 PM
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
Question
dollar store foam board

hello , Can anyone tell me what type of foam this is ? with the paper on Its very strong,easy to draw on .with paper off Its very pliable and could tear easly, For a dollar a sheet could make decent airplanes. Thanks crtaylor
crtaylor is offline Find More Posts by crtaylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2008, 06:21 PM
Mableton, GA USA
Joined Nov 2005
161 Posts
I assume you are talking about the Rediboard that you find at Dollar Tree. Not sure what the exact type of foam it is but I think it's pliability with the paper off is due to it being about 4.5mm thick versus Depron at 6mm.

Many people here are using this foam to build planes, myself included and it works pretty well. You just have to make sure to stiffen a few areas since it is thinner.
turt1e_b is offline Find More Posts by turt1e_b
Old Mar 04, 2008, 06:25 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
link to thread -- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=readiboard
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Mar 04, 2008, 07:59 PM
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
thanks Ive already got 10 sheets been woking on edf bd 5 ill post when i get it going a little bit better.
Old Mar 04, 2008, 08:07 PM
Starting to Rebuild
Fayetteville NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,028 Posts
Man I love that stuff.
Wingnut31 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut31
Old Mar 05, 2008, 10:32 AM
Katy Tx
Joined Nov 2007
212 Posts
Still, nobody has answered the original question. I've wondered myself for a long time, but in all my cruising of the board, I've never seen anyone state what KIND of foam it is that these foam boards use. I thought it was supposed to be Depron once, but once I found real Depron in the hardware store, I knew the stiffness was wrong. It's not EPP, and it's not EPS. I know there's a few other types around (cell88 or somesuch). Anyone know for certain what the actual foam type is?

I've recently used Elmer's foam board and CVS's foam board (which has a matte grid on one side of their paper surface). The Elmer's is about a mm thicker, but seems less stiff. The CVS board peeled NICELY. Once side of its paper is very plastic-like, and peeled off clean in one sheet with NO SOAKING, and NO ADHESIVE LEFT BEHIND! The other side peeled almost as easily after soaking. I soaked in plain water for several hours, and it peeled off clean in one sheet with no adhesive too (but had a slight curve to it, which I attributed to the extended soak with paper on only one side). I meant to soak for only 20mins, but I forgot about it for several hours. Was it necessary for a great peel? Dunno, I'll tell you after I peel my next one.
kelstertx is offline Find More Posts by kelstertx
Old Mar 05, 2008, 05:46 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Kind of foam....hmmm. It's like Depron in that the cells are very small and fairly rigid. It cuts well with a sharp exacto after you peal the paper. Soak it in 90% rubbing alcohol in a plastic bag for about 20 minutes and then let it dry out of the bag. The sheets of heavy paper just about fall off. I've used it for a few planes. I now use GreenGuard (EPX Foam) or EPP.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:42 PM
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
I was at lowes tonite and the blue fff is 38.00 is that about what itcost every where? not bad really considering how many planes you could get out of bundle.
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:29 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,703 Posts
Yup, 40 out the door is normal.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Mar 05, 2008, 11:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
My method for removing paper just about like all the rest. I use dollar store 50% alcohol. Just pour on liberally on both sides after cutting out the patterns. I have found that cutting with the paper on causes fewer dimples etc... in the foam. I draw on the paper. Any permanent lines you want can just push a little harder with a pencil and you will leave a light impression. My last project is a 20" itza ufo. I think the lower concentration the better of alcohol. Pour it on and rub it for about 30 seconds and then do the other side. That allows enough time for the paper to release very adequately. If it sticks too much, just add a little more and wait another 15 seconds or so.
Old Mar 05, 2008, 11:04 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtaylor
I was at lowes tonite and the blue fff is 38.00 is that about what itcost every where? not bad really considering how many planes you could get out of bundle.

Man....I really wish I could get real DOW FFF...
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Mar 06, 2008, 08:24 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
As to what it is... It is extruded polystyrene foam if you are talking about Readiboard from adams plastic according to their website tab manufacturing and a previous phone call to their customer service. www.readiboard.com.

Here is a link to discuss XEPS vs EPS. http://www.dyplastproducts.com/newsl...pseps.htm#more
You can find out much more by doing a google search.
Old Mar 06, 2008, 09:04 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Oh, one other thing. What is depron? It is extruded polystyrene. http://www.depronfoam.com/technical.htm

I have never tried bending it as it appeared somewhat frail. Just did this technique on a scrap. works great. My next plane will have a folded LE instead of a flat one with a skewer glued to the front.http://members.lycos.nl/theoschoorl/Folding.htm
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Mar 06, 2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:40 PM
MacBeth, SC
Joined Aug 2007
899 Posts
I'm getting my foam board from the Dollar Tree store. I'm using 70 percent
alcohol to remove the paper. Invariable, one side will skin easily and the
other will take half an hour to peel in small swatches. Sure wish it came
without the paper.*G* Warm regards, Jim
Jim Hatch is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hatch
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:23 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Jim, try 50% from the dollar store. Onside has thicker paper maybe. 30 seconds for a peel on one side, A couple of minutes on the other. I have gone to skinning after cutting. Protects the foam it seems.