HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2003, 02:55 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
How to make your Hitec wall wart into a slow charger for your flight batts

Someone posted the part # for the rat shack connector used in conjunction with your hitec wall wart charger (used to charge your tx pack) to slow charge your flight packs. Use this method for brand spankin new packs. The hitec wall wart is 55 mah output. Here is the pic of the part # you need to get at the shack.
Roughly a couple of bucks.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2003, 03:06 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Once you have the connector, solder two wires to 2 of the three tabs and then on the other side, solder your favorite connector to connect to your pack. I've included a pic. On the connector, the tab that is the center of the plug is the + connection (my yellow wire). If you look really close, the - connection (black wire) is underneath the top (these are seperated by a brown thin insulator. When you a done, plug in everything and if you did it right, the red light on your charger lights up. The very bottom-most tab that goes into the side of the plug is not used. Be very careful of your connection and how your wires are oriented towards your connectors or you may blow a fuse, blow the pack or ruin the charger. Something like this...

---I ---> top/middle is the positive or +, center metal part
--- ---> thin brown insulation
---I ---> tab that is the - or negative, underneath the brown
---I ---> tab that goes into middle of plug (not used)

Pic is tough to see. My first attempt, charger's red light didn't come on. Changed the negative lead/tab to underneath the brown insulator and it worked fine.

Dave...
Old Jan 05, 2003, 01:48 AM
Abbotsford, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
288 Posts
I did the same thing with my Airtronics charger about a month ago. Works great for slow charging your flight packs.
MrFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MrFlyer
Old Jan 05, 2003, 06:35 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Yeah, its great for those of us who are currently "high end charger" challenged. I've got (2) 8 cell 600 AE nicads charging right now because I left them on a battery dumper too long.
When you connect them up to a MRC Superbrain charger, the voltage output reads a little over 5 volts or so. Could be that they
are totally bad and need thrown out.

Dave...
Old Jan 05, 2003, 08:39 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
I did the same thing...

Only I have so many TX/RX wall chargers I just cut the connector off one and soldered my Sermos right to the wires.

I need to get to Radio Shack and find a chepo 15v 50ma one for my 10 cell packs.

I feel better about not always pumping 1amp into my poor 600ae packs.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member