HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2008, 01:33 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
65 Posts
Discussion
I want to buy a T-REX 600, but not sure what do i need.

Hello Every one:
I want to buy a T-Rex 600 (Align), but i am not sure what do i need to make it fly, do i need a reciver? where do i buy it from, I live in Alberta, Canada,
so i am not sure where should i buy the t-rex.
i want the best of the best, can some here help me, to get the list of stuff that i need, also, i am not sure what is the best, Nitro or CF or GF kits. this is the first time i buying a RC Toy.
thanks
mixgreens is offline Find More Posts by mixgreens
Last edited by mixgreens; Mar 04, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2008, 02:00 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , well the best of the best is the G3 Simulator. get that and then get a heli to keep you going while you learn ,
if you ganna get a big heli to learn off of , the trex might not be the best unless you spend lots of cash to rig it out proper. its 3D ready on low voltage , high amps , not good for learning . the proper way is to up the cell count , buy another motor and esc that will handle the 8 to 10s , set it up to swing around 1700 RPMs

might be better looking at another heli that can be bought thats toned down to help you learn how to fly .
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Mar 04, 2008, 03:59 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,374 Posts
Welcome to RC Groups

Get a GF kit with the motor, ESC, battery combo. I just rebuilt mine with a GF frame and it does cut down on the glitches and is plenty strong.

For a large helicopter a PCM or 2.4GHz radio is recommended. I was flying a FM radio but always had some glitches. I now have a new Futaba 7C-2.4GHz radio and it sure is sweet.

Servo selection depends on your flying skills. If you are just learning then any low cost standard size digital servos will work. If you are into 3D then some high performance servos would be much better. Futaba S9252 servos are very popular.

The gyro choice also depends on your flying skills. For learning a GY401/S9254 combo is good. For hard 3D get a Spartan DS760 gyro and BLS251 rudder servo.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 04, 2008, 04:15 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
RC man , I bet all what you said is all greek to him. first RC toy!
mixgreen , better get you pin and paper out and start hitting the online stores
runryder dot com is a good place to shop for used trex
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Mar 04, 2008, 04:37 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,374 Posts
It helps a lot to join a local club to help you get started.
Old Mar 04, 2008, 04:44 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,374 Posts
Some good places to look for combo deals – call them up and ask for a good beginner’s package deal. You do have to decide first on electric or nitro or they won’t be much help. They both have advantages and disadvantages. Neither one is better than the other it is just a matter of personal preference. I fly both but I do fly electric a lot more than nitro.

Heliproz.com
Ronlund.com
Grandrc.com
Old Mar 04, 2008, 09:16 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
From you post, I see you really have some reading to do.

Start with skimming the forms and the EHBG up top.

A rex will run about $1500 easy, and is not a TOY!!!!!!!!!!!1

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Mar 05, 2008, 12:21 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
65 Posts
Thank evey one for the help, This RC helicopter will be my first one to fly, but i also just start learning how fly a real one. I hope it is same as the real one, after reading some the post, First I need a G3 Simulator first to learn it how to fly. and check out few web shop. i think this is what i am going to buy. what do you guys think of it? any feed back be great. this is what i need to get start i think.

Here is the link for Helicopter:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ULTIMATE-Combokit...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the link for Radio.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Futaba-7C-2-4GHz-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Mar 05, 2008, 01:08 AM
CA and NH
Joined Oct 2001
449 Posts
Practice on your simulator first and you should have no problem flying that heli.
xadmin is offline Find More Posts by xadmin
Old Mar 05, 2008, 02:49 AM
Clive
Joined Sep 2007
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xadmin
Practice on your simulator first and you should have no problem flying that heli.
Bit of a sweeping statement!

I know plenty of people who are great on a sim, but then crash all the time with just a 405 size heli - and ask why?. Sims give stick memory, but for many people are nothing like the real thing.

To jump onto a T600 for a complete novice is a big ask.
c53204 is offline Find More Posts by c53204
Old Mar 05, 2008, 05:00 AM
Guelph
Joined Aug 2004
209 Posts
Hi Mixgreens, welcome to Heli RC!

You are one lucky fellow, to be living in Alberta - I'm a fellow Canuck, and probably buy half of my stuff online from Calgary. You've got some good shops out there, and no bloody PST! Buy local, and help support those guys.

I started my heli habit with a little indoor coaxial heli (good enough to learn some of the fundamentals of orientation, i.e. what the sticks do when the heli is not facing the same way as you). There are a lot of good sims out these days, and my fav is Reflex. Unless you like rebuilding and respending cash, get VERY comfortable with ANY new feat on the sim first.

My Trex was only a 450 size (that's all there was back then)... but the thing that attracted me (and so many others) was that common repairs were inexpensive compared to many other models... I don't know if this is true for the 600 size. The batteries alone are very expensive!

I'll reiterate the other advice above - read the EHBG a couple of times. It will expose you to many of the terms for the individual parts you will need to buy, and replace on occasion. In truth, an all-in-one kit might save you some cash up front, but you'll still need to buy new parts eventually. And that's assuming the upgrade Bug doesn't get you, too.

-Trev
tch_popeye is offline Find More Posts by tch_popeye
Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:12 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
1,113 Posts
The 600 size heli will be a nice stable platform to learn on. Yes, intimidating, but if you do it correctly a nice learning experience.

I also HIGHLY recommend a good sim. But I recommend Phoenix over G3. It is better for heli's. The sim WILL help you greatly in learning especially to hover. As far as hovering goes, the sim is very close compared to the real thing. But like c5304 says, the sim time does not completely translate to stick.

Good luck!
Skarn
Skarn is offline Find More Posts by Skarn
Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:24 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixgreens

That link is for a CF not a GF. CF is way too many headaches for a beginner. Try to find a good GF kit

The radio is an excellent choice.

Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:28 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
For a beginner, I would say no to the 600. Too big. I am sure he would want to fly in his driveway or yard. A guy over at RR actually chopped a finger off with the 600 flying in a basketball court. They need lots of space. Since this your first RC toy. look at the 450SE. Like a gazillion other people have. They fly nice, and are very good at front yard and driveway flying. Also, not quite as lethal.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Mar 05, 2008, 10:45 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
65 Posts
My local toys store don't sell Heli or support it, and there are no club that I can Join. i am on my own, only you guys been help me to get start it, but i do own 140 acres of land in my back yard, there are lots of space for me to fly it, also i am 9 hours away from a Calary, 5 hours from Edmonton, even when i go to the big city RC store, they still need to order it in , that is why i am buying it from online, I do understand if i crash the RC Heli is cost lots to fix, but money are not a problem. I know for sure I am going to love it, i been wanting a RC Heli for last 15 years. finally I can afford it now, that is why I want to get a nice one, RC Man, where did you get your GF kit from? so i should get Phoenix not a G3? man just so much choices. good thing you guys are helping me.