HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2008, 03:54 AM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Discussion
My Redesign of the Typhoon 3D step by step with pictures

Ok so its safe to say the Typhoon 3D is one of the coolest 3D birds i have flown, its fast, precise, light everything about the typhoon is rock solid but the design, in my opinion of course, so i decided to redesign the typhoon, and im posting this thread for anyone else who wants to take the next step in redesigning their typhoon or any other rc plane for that matter.

I used Ultracote for this project because that is the best film to use for rc toys that are made with foam. Ultracote releases its sticker quicker when heat is applied so its great for foam planes as you know if heat heat is applied to foam, it melts, so use ultracote for your foam plane. You may use other films such as monokote which is great for balsa wooden planes.

tools you will need for this project are.
1. scissors
2. sharp exacto knife with lots of tips ( good to change your tips as often as you can as it will give you a cleaner cute )
3. Heat gun
4. heat iron ( i used a scraper nozzle, heated the nozzle tip with the heatgun and applied to the tips of the covering, heat iron is faster )
5. metal ruler
6. Ultracote film about 12$ a roll of 6 feet
7. Tape
8. open place to work with a cutting board

The secret really is to use the hand iron to apply to all 4 corners of the film first before anything. do some test coverings on dummy foam to get the hang of the amount of heat that is needed, or how to stretch corners in what angle, ( for the typhoon, since it has a huge airfoils, it will be a little more difficult to go around the corner, so you can use a scissors to cut little angles to release the tension of the edges.

As you can see, in one of the pictures i attached of my project, i applied to much heat to the foam so it bubbled a bit, not a big deal but the smooth surface is lost do to holding the heat gun at that one spot for a longer time, that was an oops on my part, so be careful.

Its important to have a mockup design before you start the project, what i did was design my idea in photoshop on an actual typhoon model in RealFlight 3.5 sim, the first picture is the design. I then drew a phoenix by hand, scanned it to my comptuer, traced it with photoshop and printed the design on a sticker paper, reason i used sticker paper is because i can change the design quickly and also its much faster and easier rather then tracing the design on the ultracote and doing the transfer process with windex etc. just way to difficult and time consuming.

Make sure to pick a color that is dark for the bottom of your plane, as darker color is easier to spot in the air, soyou will know your direction. i picked soid black, plus it goes great with orange.

Well thats pretty much it, for the rest of the parts, i simply traced the vertical stabilizer and horizontal stabilizer right on the ultracote ( back side where you peel off ) remember to leave a few millimeters or actually leave a good half an inch on all sides, later on you can cut and trim the extras.

I wish i could of made a video of this project but that would of just taken to long to take edit and upload. sorry for that but hope the images are somewhat helpful.

Good luck and let me know if you guys have any questions.
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2008, 04:30 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
That looks great. I love it. Very clean.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Mar 04, 2008, 06:52 AM
Wishing I had more money!
Western Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2007
327 Posts
Nice, but a little too much work for me right now. I'll look for some reflective stickers that I can put on the underside for orientation.
BryMeister is offline Find More Posts by BryMeister
Old Mar 04, 2008, 09:38 AM
Frequent non-flier
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2007
36 Posts
Awesome!
I really like the paint scheme, and can't wait to try recovering my plane.

Any issues with disassembly/reassembly?
I'm wondering how the little plastic tabs that attach the control surfaces re-seat when you put it back together...
FLA - Zman is offline Find More Posts by FLA - Zman
Old Mar 04, 2008, 09:45 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Wow, nice job. One of the best looking TY's I have seen!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 04, 2008, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA - Zman
Awesome!
I really like the paint scheme, and can't wait to try recovering my plane.

Any issues with disassembly/reassembly?
I'm wondering how the little plastic tabs that attach the control surfaces re-seat when you put it back together...
thanks everyone,
yes as for the reassembly, it was a little challenging to take the plastic locks out from the ailerons and vertical stabilizer, in fact you have to be careful not to be to harsh or youll tear the foam, i would say its better to go ahead and bend the end tab and break it off rather then try to take it out unharmed, much faster and safer, i broke 3 of them, but looking back, i should of just broken all the ends off, so ill be off to the hobby shop getting a new set of hinges.
littlephoenix is offline Find More Posts by littlephoenix