HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2008, 08:08 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21xct45
This plane is the reason I replied to "raz" to me it is the most forgiving and slow flying plane I have ever flown....you can just bring it by you at a very slow speed about knee high and just enjoy....cool stuff! Maybe the PT-17 steerman is'nt the looks everyone wants but the flying chareoristics(?)are great....go slow or crazy...........If you guy's want to know about my power system, lipo, esc, RX and motor let me know.....it's a great plane....and "Lobo"
I think this has your name all over it!
Bring it on! I'd be interested in what your electronic setup is on the PT-17. Was it easy to mount a brushless and keep it's looks up front? What size brushless did you use. Aw....just give us all the info. I might need a Steerman to fly out and check out the Cessna should it go down in a bad area unexpectedly....heh heh

Lobo
Lobo is offline Find More Posts by Lobo
Last edited by Lobo; Apr 15, 2008 at 08:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2008, 08:16 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodda
Hey there guys, I'm brand new to this whole R/C thing (addiction?!) and was reading your thread Re: Brushless Cessna. The Skyartec Cessna is my first experience of anything R/C so obviously I have crashed it in a big way....have broken main wing, prop, tail wing, and motor mount!! All repaired for a few $$$ and still in the air. It is currently a tail dragger after ripping the front wheel off in a crash. I moved the rear wheels forward and it works ok like that but I will change it back once I'm confident of not crashing too often.

I was quite surprised by how quick this thing flies and I almost gave up after a couple of crashes but I'm glad I stuck with it. A mate has a Super Cub which is so much slower and with th 3-channel Tx is much easier to fly but he is about to upgrade to the Brushless Cessna after seeing me chase him and overtake him like he was standing still!!

We both have nitro planes which have not seen air time yet and I think the 4-channel Tx will make the transition a lot easier!!

Hope to chat some more....hope all your landings are wheels down or at least spectacular!!!

Cheers.
Welcome Wodda!

You're made for RC if you started with this plane, kept busting it, and kept fixing it!! Hang in there. Now, it's gotta look interesting seeing a Cessna tail dragger!! Give us a pic or two if you will. Yep, the Super Cub would be a much better (less repairs) trainer. But, now your friend will want a brushless plane....and he won't turn back! You still can put a brushless on a 3-channel plane and have a ball. I have a brushless Slow Stick that will go unlimited vertical. It would probably catch, and maybe pass this Cessna, if I could fly it straight enough at that speed. It's very reinforced to handle the strain of a wide open brushless motor. Mostly, I just ease around in the evening with it.....a lot of flying right out of my cul-de-sac in the evening with nav and landing lights.

Come on in and chat all you wish. Glad to hear from ya!

Lobo
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:08 PM
Shepparton, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Lobo. The tail dragging Cessna looks a bit worse for wear with packing tape holding it together but I will endevour to download some pics for you to see!!
Wodda is offline Find More Posts by Wodda
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:15 PM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
Bring it on! I'd be interested in what your electronic setup is on the PT-17. Was it easy to mount a brushless and keep it's looks up front? What size brushless did you use. Aw....just give us all the info. I might need a Steerman to fly out and check out the Cessna should it go down in a bad area unexpectedly....heh heh

Lobo
O.K first, I am old and not sure of all the thread, post etticut...some complain of keeping on the same subject which I agree with.....If I post about the "GWS PT-17 in a "Skyartech" pst I don't want to piss anyone off ...But I will tell you right now that none of my planes including my SS use nothing less that a 400XT Esskay brusless motor with at least a 2100mA 3cell lipo and suitable esc....Just like you're video where the "Cessna" takes off in about one parking space....I like that.....and gives you power to spare....I will never use 300-400 brushed motors again ....ever! Why would you?.....Hey guess what? ...........got some 2.5" wheels today for our plane....still hav't flown it yet............to windy here....
21xct45 is offline Find More Posts by 21xct45
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
hey guys, been doin' some shopping, lol. i bought myself a brushless, extra wings, and props. total spent - $80. parts should be here within the next 2 weeks except for the wings. they are coming from hong kong. can't wait to try again.
shadow3621 is offline Find More Posts by shadow3621
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:40 PM
Shepparton, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
Hey guys, I have a quick qn....My cessna is using a 11.1v 1100mAh Lipo (standard), if I put a 11.1v 2200mAh Lipo in it, what will it do and do I need to change anything? Thanks for the help. Also, what does the "15C" mean?
Last edited by Wodda; Apr 15, 2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:59 PM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Hey............these should work for my dirt and grass parrk strips??
Old Apr 16, 2008, 09:46 AM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21xct45
Hey............these should work for my dirt and grass parrk strips??
Is the wheel on the front a little smaller? Needs to be in order to fit the bent gear wire?

Hey, I started this thread (altho it ain't mine.....it's ours), and it looks like we're all pretty laid back here.....so, a little changing of the subject shouldn't twist anyone in a knot, I don't think. It's good to share all sorts of info, and most of us are emailed about a post here, so, let the good info fly.....anything that helps each other!

Lobo
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:01 AM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a quick qn....My cessna is using a 11.1v 1100mAh Lipo (standard), if I put a 11.1v 2200mAh Lipo in it, what will it do and do I need to change anything? Thanks for the help. Also, what does the "15C" mean?
Wodda, I'm not the most experienced guy here, I'm sure, but, I don't think it will make a difference for your plane. Both batteries are 11.1v, they just "store" a different amount of "fuel". The more mAh a battery has (with the same voltage) the more "fuel"/time you have to fly. The 15C? "C" is one times the batteries capacity (not sure that's the right word to use here). In other words, C = 1100mAh (or 1.1 amps) and 2200mAh (or 2.2 amps), depending on which of your two batteries you refer to. The 15 in front of the "C" means the battery will put out up to 1.1amps X 15 = 16.5amps.....or 2.2amps X 15 = 33amps, without harming itself. The ESC (electronic speed controler) and the motor are rated by amps. For instance, a 20amp ESC. Or a motor than can withstand 30amps without damaging it. Now, I'm starting to get in over my head here, but maybe this much will help and someone with a little more knowledge can correct me and/or add to all this.

But, bottom line, I don't think you will damage anything by using the higher mAh rated battery. The motor shouldn't demand more than it can handle. You just need to make sure the ESC is rated high enough to handle the amps the motor will ask for. To be safe, always fly a short flight, land, check the heat on the battery, motor and the esc. If cool, fly longer, land and check. Repeat this till your comfortable that all your electronics are "happy". If something is too hot to touch more than a second, it's too hot....otherwise you are in good shape.

Those with more experience should chime in here and help out, please.

Lobo
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:44 AM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Yes....You are correct, the front wheel is 1.86" and the rears are 2.50". My research has pretty much said that this is not a problem at all. Wheel pants and small wheels just arn't gonna work where I fly from.

As far as Batts go I have an older TP 3s 2100mA that I will try to post here that sits next to the "Skyartec" batt.......the TP fits perfectly in the batt compartment also.....

Like I said it's so darn windy here that I hav'nt flown this plane yet.....I have to admit I am afraid to trash it but the wind is suposed to die down in a day or two........OHhhhh, I want to see pics of a "tail drag" Cessna also May need that info for future repairs...........
Last edited by 21xct45; Apr 16, 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 04:21 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Wodda.....well, really, everyone: This is a good guy to buy stuff from at good prices. Both me and my son-in-law have bought from him....great service.

But, the main reason I mention him is that he has some GREAT guides, in layman terms, that help you understand batteries, motors, esc's and mixing them with different props.

Here's his store front page:

http://stores.ebay.com/Heads-Up-RC

Here's some of the great info he shares with us to help us understand a lot more:

LiPoly Batteries:

http://stores.ebay.com/Heads-Up-RC/L...and-Guide.html

Brushless Motors:

http://stores.ebay.com/Heads-Up-RC/B...e-and-FAQ.html

ESC's:

http://stores.ebay.com/Heads-Up-RC/E...ntrol-FAQ.html

This is really some helpful info. Worth taking a look at, and maybe printing some.

If you look up a brushless motor he sells, he gives you a ton of information so that you know you have the motor you want, and what it will do, with what prop, etc. For instance, look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2410-09Y-Outrunn...742.m153.l1262

Prices are darn good too, aren't they?!

Lobo
Old Apr 16, 2008, 05:29 PM
Shepparton, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
Thanks for the help guys....I think that has cleared a few things. I was on the right track just needed some confirmation.

Handy Hint: If your Skyartec nose dives into Mother Earth, you WILL break the motor mount!!! I broke one then bought about 4 spares....haven't nose dived since...naturally!!

The main wing is pretty strong, I only broke mine because I flew at full speed sideways into a shed. You may also lose your front landing gear if you crash hard, hence why mine is now a tail dragger. BTW, I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance take take some...you know the drill, flat out with work, wife and kid!!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:55 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,253 Posts
re

re.....
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Last edited by Sammy70; Oct 16, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:51 PM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys....I think that has cleared a few things. I was on the right track just needed some confirmation.

Handy Hint: If your Skyartec nose dives into Mother Earth, you WILL break the motor mount!!! I broke one then bought about 4 spares....haven't nose dived since...naturally!!

The main wing is pretty strong, I only broke mine because I flew at full speed sideways into a shed. You may also lose your front landing gear if you crash hard, hence why mine is now a tail dragger. BTW, I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance take take some...you know the drill, flat out with work, wife and kid!!
Yes I remember the "Wife Kid and Work Drill" and the work drill still goes on but the crowd still screams...."Pics, Pics, Pics" Oh, I got out my dremmel out and re-did the front wheel so it is the same size as the rear (2.5") so if you want to see I'll post a pick..............still very windy here
Last edited by 21xct45; Apr 16, 2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 03:06 AM
Shepparton, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
Ok guys, I managed a few moments on my own and snapped these shots of my Cessna. When I say "tail dragger" I mean it literally, there is no wheel or anything else back there. All I did was cut a chunk out of the foam in front of the battery cover and pushed the slot that holds the wheels into place, taped it and all done. Was completed in the feild so I could keep flying and I have not touched it since. I will eventually return it to it's origional condition. Hope you like the pics!!

Wodda