HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:50 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,227 Posts
Thanks Lobo. I'm looking for a nice gentle plane for relaxing flights, is this one that way? I had a FZ Cessna 182 but it had to be flown faster than I like for this type of plane.
raz is online now Find More Posts by raz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:12 PM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
Thanks, I didn't know there was a brushed version. I'm thinking of getting one of these but I want the bl model IF it will run on a 3s lipo.
Hey... quit making me laugh

Brushless version: Mine wasn't red......

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6331

RTF...It comes with a brushless motor and a 1100mA 3s Batt and ESC etc and a servo "Y" connection wires for the ailerons ...all the servo's are installed and ready to connect to your RX.....Like "Lobo" and I have said for the price and shipping and around $125.00 delivered......just add a radio and a RX and off you go??...Well, in my case it's a matter of trying to remember how to fly and waiting for the wind to stop!! Jeeze!.... It's so pretty I'm afraid to fly it till I get some more stick time in on my beat up planes..........Oh, I just checked, I have a 2100 TP 3s (same size as the 1100mA 3s that came with plane) and it will fit in the batt compartment on bottom and seems to be about the same weight (sorry no scale with me)..............later
21xct45 is offline Find More Posts by 21xct45
Last edited by 21xct45; Apr 14, 2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: ?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:27 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
Thanks Lobo. I'm looking for a nice gentle plane for relaxing flights, is this one that way? I had a FZ Cessna 182 but it had to be flown faster than I like for this type of plane.
Well Raz....I don't know what fast is to you....but, I felt this plane was a bit fast for me when I first got it.....but, then, it was the fastest thing I had flown.

The "best in the world" plane for "nice gentle relaxing flights" to me is the ole standard Slow Stick...with a brushless motor for power when needed.

The Corsiar at HobbyCity http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5796
is about as nice and gentle a plane as you can get for an aileron plane. It's hard to get. You have to order it the day it comes into stock, once every two to three months, because it sells out that day! Consider that my experience it very limited. Others may have better suggestions.

Look at the vids of me flying the Cessna and make a judgement as to whether you think it's faster than you want. Use the clear "nice day" vid, 'cause the wind was messing with the plane a lot on the first vid. I've gotten used to it's speed, but it's always a joy to bring out the slowstick and ease around with no thought, pure relaxation!

Lobo
Lobo is offline Find More Posts by Lobo
Old Apr 14, 2008, 02:48 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,227 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I've been flying a Super Cub (with ailerons), a GW Cessna 172, a FZ Cessna 182, a PKZ T-28 and the TB-20. I really love the looks of the Cessna's but they seem to fly fast for their size. I would like to find one that can be flown at a more scale speed if possible like the T-28 and the TB-20. Both can be flown fast if you want but also they handle well at slower speeds without stalling easing. I think for the price though this one would be worth checking out.

I checked the specs on it and your video and it looks like it would be able to fly slower than the FZ Cessna did. The FZ Cessna 's AUW was 564g compared to 600g for this one and the FZ's wing span was only 34" compared to 38.6"
Last edited by raz; Apr 14, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:35 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
Thanks for the input guys. I've been flying a Super Cub (with ailerons), a GW Cessna 172, a FZ Cessna 182, a PKZ T-28 and the TB-20. I really love the looks of the Cessna's but they seem to fly fast for their size. I would like to find one that can be flown at a more scale speed if possible like the T-28 and the TB-20. Both can be flown fast if you want but also they handle well at slower speeds without stalling easing. I think for the price though this one would be worth checking out.

I checked the specs on it and your video and it looks like it would be able to fly slower than the FZ Cessna did. The FZ Cessna 's AUW was 564g compared to 600g for this one and the FZ's wing span was only 34" compared to 38.6"
I think you're right in giving it a try, Raz. You can see that it is fairly stable on the low slow pass in the 2nd vid. It can fly pretty much scale-like if you back off. It's just a rocket on full throttle. Much more that this plane needs, but it's fun to have the power occasionally.

Lobo
Old Apr 14, 2008, 06:29 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
I think you're right in giving it a try, Raz. You can see that it is fairly stable on the low slow pass in the 2nd vid. It can fly pretty much scale-like if you back off. It's just a rocket on full throttle. Much more that this plane needs, but it's fun to have the power occasionally.

Lobo

I suppose I could reduce the prop size or pitch a little for more scale flight too. Thanks for your help, now I know what to get when I get my taxes back.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:30 PM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
O.K I think I have you covered...(maybe) I alway's hate it when people tell you to get a plane cause they have one and it's perfect......and I make it a rule generally to not do so.......So ......I'm going to break my own rules here just for you...once! and beleive me I never posted this and I will deny it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=254

I was never here..............

Did I mention that I have crashed, thrashed, and smashed this thing so many times and repaired it with CA and epoxy that the only people that are embarrased when I fly are the people that smile when I set it down and throttle her up .......brushless of course
Last edited by 21xct45; Apr 14, 2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Cause I wasnt here...
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:39 PM
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
in love, but heart-broken

hi, i am new here. i stumbled onto this site while looking for parts for my cessna 182. it is a brushed 4ch in red and white. i boughgt it as a trainer, but it has suffered a crash now, lol. i have already aquired 4 new wings for it, but i am having trouble finding gear boxes. it flies beautifully, and mostly survived a nose first dive into pavement when i was distracted by a child running into its flight path. i guess it is a consolation that i now know it will pull a low level, full power loop. the child is fine, but my plane suffered a crack in the main wing, by the screws that hold it on. the prop broke, and the spinner is scratched up. the prop shaft bent, and then broke when i tried to straighten it. i have found the manufacturers main site, which is how i found you, but, i can't find a way to order the parts in need. is there any chance you have any insight as to where i can find the parts?
shadow3621 is offline Find More Posts by shadow3621
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:46 PM
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
extra wings.

by the way, if you search under toys and hobbies on e-bay for "cessna 182" you will find the wings for this plane. 4 for $49.99 us, from hong kong. i paid this much because i bought 2 sets. they usually go for $25 or so in a 2 for 1 deal after shipping.
shadow3621 is offline Find More Posts by shadow3621
Last edited by shadow3621; Apr 14, 2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: not enough info.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:50 AM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,128 Posts
i think the skyartec, art tech, and parkflyers, cessna 182' s might be compatible with each other, with only a few minor diffrences here and there, im not 100% sure thou, but as far as i know skyartec is the only one who uses the 290 brushed motor with gear box.. however the others do have a better front landing gear design, its a one piece instead of 2.

those might also be options for replacements....
Heliman420 is online now Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21xct45
O.K I think I have you covered...(maybe) I alway's hate it when people tell you to get a plane cause they have one and it's perfect......and I make it a rule generally to not do so.......So ......I'm going to break my own rules here just for you...once! and beleive me I never posted this and I will deny it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=254

I was never here..............

Did I mention that I have crashed, thrashed, and smashed this thing so many times and repaired it with CA and epoxy that the only people that are embarrased when I fly are the people that smile when I set it down and throttle her up .......brushless of course
Now that's a nice looking plane! I've always liked the Stearman. I wish ya could get the radial engine sound out of it as it flys by. Ha! That would be neat. I fly the Stearman in Microsoft Flight Sim, and turn the speaker all the way up....it rattles the windows!!!

I wish HC had this plane already set up with brushless and all the other stuff...I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Their prices are amazing. This thing costs about the same as the Cessna with a brushed motor and no other electronics. It's hard to get me near a gearbox again. Always having to mess with replacing gears, need a puller, bent shafts, etc. Once brushless....always brushless!

Lobo
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:58 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow3621
hi, i am new here. i stumbled onto this site while looking for parts for my cessna 182. it is a brushed 4ch in red and white. i boughgt it as a trainer, but it has suffered a crash now, lol. i have already aquired 4 new wings for it, but i am having trouble finding gear boxes. it flies beautifully, and mostly survived a nose first dive into pavement when i was distracted by a child running into its flight path. i guess it is a consolation that i now know it will pull a low level, full power loop. the child is fine, but my plane suffered a crack in the main wing, by the screws that hold it on. the prop broke, and the spinner is scratched up. the prop shaft bent, and then broke when i tried to straighten it. i have found the manufacturers main site, which is how i found you, but, i can't find a way to order the parts in need. is there any chance you have any insight as to where i can find the parts?

Have you thought about converting to brush less? That would be real easy and no gear box to mess with, just a mount and the motor. You can get a Tower Pro bl motor for $12.00 from Hobby City and it comes with a stick mount.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Shadow,

convert to brushless and do away with the gearbox mess like Raz suggests.

You can buy at hobbycity or, I think, just as good on ebay, by the time you add hobbycity's shipping, and get it a lot sooner. Look around on ebay for a motor and esc combo. You must have a brushless ESC to run a brushless motor.

It's a whole lot less headache and the power upgrade is wonderful. Take a look and see what you think. But, I think if you ever go brushless, you'll never come back to the brushed motor with a gearbox! Brushless stuff used to be real expensive, but the chineeeeeeese are starting to make it real affordable. May not be as good a quality motor, don't know, but for the price, they last you more than enough time and give you more than enough power.

Lobo
Old Apr 15, 2008, 02:46 PM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo
Now that's a nice looking plane! I've always liked the Stearman. I wish ya could get the radial engine sound out of it as it flys by. Ha! That would be neat. I fly the Stearman in Microsoft Flight Sim, and turn the speaker all the way up....it rattles the windows!!!

I wish HC had this plane already set up with brushless and all the other stuff...I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Their prices are amazing. This thing costs about the same as the Cessna with a brushed motor and no other electronics. It's hard to get me near a gearbox again. Always having to mess with replacing gears, need a puller, bent shafts, etc. Once brushless....always brushless!

Lobo
This plane is the reason I replied to "raz" to me it is the most forgiving and slow flying plane I have ever flown....you can just bring it by you at a very slow speed about knee high and just enjoy....cool stuff! Maybe the PT-17 steerman is'nt the looks everyone wants but the flying chareoristics(?)are great....go slow or crazy...........If you guy's want to know about my power system, lipo, esc, RX and motor let me know.....it's a great plane....and "Lobo"
I think this has your name all over it!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 05:12 PM
Shepparton, Australia
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
Hey there guys, I'm brand new to this whole R/C thing (addiction?!) and was reading your thread Re: Brushless Cessna. The Skyartec Cessna is my first experience of anything R/C so obviously I have crashed it in a big way....have broken main wing, prop, tail wing, and motor mount!! All repaired for a few $$$ and still in the air. It is currently a tail dragger after ripping the front wheel off in a crash. I moved the rear wheels forward and it works ok like that but I will change it back once I'm confident of not crashing too often.

I was quite surprised by how quick this thing flies and I almost gave up after a couple of crashes but I'm glad I stuck with it. A mate has a Super Cub which is so much slower and with th 3-channel Tx is much easier to fly but he is about to upgrade to the Brushless Cessna after seeing me chase him and overtake him like he was standing still!!

We both have nitro planes which have not seen air time yet and I think the 4-channel Tx will make the transition a lot easier!!

Hope to chat some more....hope all your landings are wheels down or at least spectacular!!!

Cheers.
Wodda is offline Find More Posts by Wodda