SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2008, 03:45 PM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Oooops...coulda fixed my nose cowel over motor before I took the picture....
21xct45 is offline Find More Posts by 21xct45
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:19 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
i got the cessna setup now, ran into a few difficulties but nothing unexpected,

the landing gear was bent the wrong way,it took a bit of bending and twisting to correct it,

the little aluminum collar just below the main servo push rod collar, the set screws were stripped on both sides , luckily i had another collar of an old fp heli witch was a perfect fit, the wheel fairings had to have a bit of material removed for the wheels to spin smooth,

installing the stabilizer was tricky, in the instructions it said to insert from the side, but that was impossible to do due to the size of the stab and the exixting slot,
i had to cut away a 3 inch portion of the rear of the fuse to install the stab and then reglued it. i also removed all the fruity skyartec stickers.

heres how it sits now, awaiting its maiden,
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:21 PM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Your plane looks great! I thought mine would be red but it is blue (thats O.K)....I think you said yours is the motor with a gearbox (?) anyway I wonder if in order to get a red plane you need to get the one with a gearbox? Hmmm? No "maiden" yet as I have been out of the hobby for a few years and am practicing on a few other beat up planes for now.....this thing is so pretty I hate to crash it ........ Had to "dremmel" the landing gear wires so they didn's stick out past the wheels so far but seems O.K ........later.....

PS How bout a better picture of the way you set up your front wheel including the way it's connected to the servo?..........
Last edited by 21xct45; Apr 13, 2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: more stuff
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:57 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
yep i have the gearbox version,, as for the pics..unfortunately those were taken with a cell phone cam, i killed my digi cam a few months ago and havent got a new one since, i can try... but the quality will be really bad(for close up shots)
Old Apr 13, 2008, 07:37 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Hey guys....looking good! Anxious for y'all to fly them.

21xct45, I used the free FMS sim (google for it, if you haven't heard of it) to practice, since this was my first airleron plane. It really helped my confidence a lot. I would have never tried a roll without it! On the front gear setup, you could always glue (or better yet use JBWeld) a servo arm to the top of the gear shaft and still use it as steerable. I've never had a steerable plane before, and I find when my battery is getting low, I just stay on the ground and enjoy the heck outta driving it around the parking lot! Your wheels look good. I just measured the ones that came with my Cessna, and they are 1 1/2" diameter. The ones you have on your plane look a little bigger. Seems the front one is about as large as you can put on the nose gear of this plane without rebending or using different nose gear wire.

heliman420, those are different instructions than the plane we got for installing the tail section. Ha! I was able to just cut one slit near the rear of the fuselage and slide the horz stab into place, and then glue it. I'm sure what you did will work just as well. And, yes, the nose gear is the main problem with this plane. They could have made it a little better quality. I ended up stripping all the set screws in the collars trying to get them tight enough to not slip, and therefore just used JBweld to make it all one piece. It don't slip now!

Still, all in all, for the little inconveniences with a little less than perfect quality of this model, for the money, it's a real deal, and a real blast to fly!

I'm anxious to hear the flight reports!!

Lobo
Lobo is offline Find More Posts by Lobo
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:32 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman420
yep i have the gearbox version,, as for the pics..unfortunately those were taken with a cell phone cam, i killed my digi cam a few months ago and havent got a new one since, i can try... but the quality will be really bad(for close up shots)

Does your have a brush less motor and a gear box and what size battery does it take?
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:10 PM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
Does your have a brush less motor and a gear box and what size battery does it take?
Sorry if off subject....That pic of "Arnold' makes me laugh everytime you post....
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:01 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21xct45
Sorry if off subject....That pic of "Arnold' makes me laugh everytime you post....

Me too..
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:08 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz

no i have the brushed version, with the 1100 mah 3s lipo. seems to make a decent amount of thrust at full throttle
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:51 AM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
Me too..
O.K I'm laughing again..........but anyway, It's been so darn windy here lately I'm try'ing to get out very early and fly my beat up planes ....so I wanted to know if anyone had this same problem with their Cessna? The push on plugs from esc to battery (mainly the pos) did not stay connected well at all. I soldered on some "Deans" ......
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:56 AM
Southern Utah
Joined Mar 2008
377 Posts
Hey sorry....I forgot, Didn't I read somewhere where you can get rid of the "goofy" music from the esc when you plug in the batt?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:17 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman420
no i have the brushed version, with the 1100 mah 3s lipo. seems to make a decent amount of thrust at full throttle

Thanks, I didn't know there was a brushed version. I'm thinking of getting one of these but I want the bl model IF it will run on a 3s lipo.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:37 AM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Hey sorry....I forgot, Didn't I read somewhere where you can get rid of the "goofy" music from the esc when you plug in the batt?
Man I hope so!!!! If you find out how, PLEASE let me know! It sounds like a Circus came to town when you plug 'er up!

Lobo
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:39 AM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
O.K I'm laughing again..........but anyway, It's been so darn windy here lately I'm try'ing to get out very early and fly my beat up planes ....so I wanted to know if anyone had this same problem with their Cessna? The push on plugs from esc to battery (mainly the pos) did not stay connected well at all. I soldered on some "Deans" ......
I never tried using them, just put my standard plug on right away. If you soldered on a Deans plug, you solved it!

Lobo
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:42 AM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
Thanks, I didn't know there was a brushed version. I'm thinking of getting one of these but I want the bl model IF it will run on a 3s lipo.
Looks like either version will run on 3s lipo......so, go for it, you'll like it! The brushless (no gearbox) one from Hobbycity comes with a 1100mAh 3s Lipo (no charger).

Lobo