Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:46 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by didge View Post
Yep, I guess you noticed the smileys.

This was my second plane (I've still got it) and after I fitted the new metal motor mount (due to an incident after aliens sneaked in and reversed the elevator servo in my transmitter one night) it's been going strong. I really should fly it more than occasionally!

Cheers
You only fly it occasionally ?? WOW ... I've been in this game for over 40yrs and this 182 is one of my favourites. Lazy cruising around or open up and carve the air .. capable of both.
As I said before - it's first out of car to test conditions before anything else flown ... I've flown it in winds that even birds stay on the ground !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:46 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
Max, nope, did not miss that Post, but as Solentlife said, this Cessna has been greatly improved since its introduction in 2008.

It is now equipped with diagonal wing struts/braces for the proper dihedral and additional strength.

It has been repowered with an excellent brushless motor and flaps are now an option or an easy retrofit.

Didge, for now, continuing this thread is the logical move. It shows the history of the development of this model. I really think this model has a lot going for it and should be seen and flown by more RCers. With a few more tweaks, I believe it is a candidate for greatness.
duly noted. just have fun! looking forward to your review of the latest version. Wow 2008 ! Hard to believe we have been selling these for so long. BTW, same brushless motor as in the first review. Best improvement has been the metal motor mount. We have a 2 servo aileron version that has over 200 flights on it. Actually built it from broken parts from some that got shipped broken; of course, now we bring them in by the Ocean Container Shipments to eliminate the breakage.
Personally never thought the flaps were an improvement and most agree that the dual servos were better than the bell crank setup. Hundreds have been sold to buyers as a beginner plane; IMO it is a little fast for a novice - but throttled back it is a great flyer.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:02 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
I asked this question awhile back, with the flight mode switch on the left of the NASA701 in the up position all things work except the flaps and in the down position the flaps work.
Is it ok to fly in the up position so you don't have to bother with the flaps when learning?
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:35 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
I asked this question awhile back, with the flight mode switch on the left of the NASA701 in the up position all things work except the flaps and in the down position the flaps work.
Is it ok to fly in the up position so you don't have to bother with the flaps when learning?
I rarely use the flaps on it ... in fact only when someone asks if they work !!

This model really does not need them and can be ignored for 99% of the time. She floats on without them fine.
If you do use them - the model really needs to be slowed down before deploying otherwise she will balloon up .... and is why I prefer proportional control of them instead of switched full or nothing.

Nigel
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:38 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
So Nigel you must be using the 706 Tx as I am using the new NASA701 which has flippers on the sides that are proportional to control the flaps.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:53 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
Quote:
So Nigel you must be using the 706 Tx as I am using the new NASA701 which has flippers on the sides that are proportional to control the flaps.
No - I bought ARF without Tx / Rx ... and set it up with 9x FlySky .... it has FrSky Rx installed ...

I fly with 1800 - 2200mAh 3S lipos ... and the servos are original except for the aileron split servos ...

Nigel
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:05 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
Haa

Whizgig
You got me started. I just order this.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:35 PM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Whizgig
I think I might have created a monster!!
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:06 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Whizgig
What has this to do with Skyartec 182 ? Curious !
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:58 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflying View Post
duly noted. just have fun! looking forward to your review of the latest version. Wow 2008 ! Hard to believe we have been selling these for so long. BTW, same brushless motor as in the first review. Best improvement has been the metal motor mount. We have a 2 servo aileron version that has over 200 flights on it. Actually built it from broken parts from some that got shipped broken; of course, now we bring them in by the Ocean Container Shipments to eliminate the breakage.
Personally never thought the flaps were an improvement and most agree that the dual servos were better than the bell crank setup. Hundreds have been sold to buyers as a beginner plane; IMO it is a little fast for a novice - but throttled back it is a great flyer.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
This Cessna still has a lot of life in it. In my opinion, this is Skyartec's finest and best flying fixed wing model. Definitely too fast for an unassisted novice but throttling down to 1/2 -2/3 slows it down to where an assisted beginner can handle it.

I will buddy box mine with a beginner soon as the weather warms up, and see how that works out. Flaps work good on my Cessna and slows it down enough for smooth landings even with the extra weight of a 2200 mah 3S battery.

Or should I say that with a 2200mah battery, the Cessna does need flaps to allow it lower landing speed. It is not a floater like the FMS 1400 Cessna 182, by any stretch, though.

The KIT Cessnas will be arriving in April so let's see how those turn out after some reinforcing with CF rods. Ailerons and flaps will not be cut off from the main wing at the factory, so the customer has the option of flaps or not as well installing as the type of hinging he prefers. Regular pin hinges will be included)
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Maybe an "in" joke?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:17 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Yep that it is
What 2200mAh battery are you using?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:26 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Sorry, off topic.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Yep that it is
What 2200mAh battery are you using?
3S 25C. FMS branded Lipo that came with a FMS 1400mm Cessna 182 RTF.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:41 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
3S 25C. FMS branded Lipo that came with a FMS 1400mm Cessna 182 RTF.
The real beauty of this model for me ... when a LiPo gets tired and not much use for high power stuff such as 450 Helis ... they work great in this. The power demand is much lower and LiPo has enough to fly well.

I have a GEPower 2280mAh 35C 3S that will barely lift my 450 Heli and then fails within a minute or so ... but in this 182 - I get 11 mins of full performance flight.

So any Lipos of suitable size that you think may be junk - try in this model - you may be surprised !!

Nigel