HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2008, 06:33 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Discussion
Our hockey season is over, what have I been missing? (edf wise...)

Hey guys, remember me? I used to build and fly foamie edf's until my kids started playing sports. The boys hockey season just ended and I'm wondering what's the latest and greatest cool looking cool flying jets?

Has jetset44 come up with any new designs? I need to build something quick before baseball season...

Sal
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2008, 09:12 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey sal! I don't think we know each other but my name's Matt and I used to watch a bunch of your super cool EDF videos. I like the really fast Bandit and the twin F-14, that one was sweet. Jetset's latest that I know of are the SU-37 super flanker which would probably make a super cool twin EDF, and his F-22. I think he's working on an X-29 but that one didn't have a good maiden so I think he's still working on it.

Beanie has a Mig-21 design that would probably make a super sweet EDF if you could convert the plans. I built a pusher version which was fun. Do you have an F-16? I have to say, my favorite plane that I've had so far has been the H-J F-16, and it could probably be built for a Minifan 480 or scaled down for an EDF55 or microfan. The F-16 flies so easy and floats so nice, it would probably be a really nice candidate for a super powerful Minifan set-up. Mine is a pusher 34.5" and weighs 25-26 oz., but I've got a tiny 20.5" one in the works too that I'm hoping to maiden before the end of the school year. The design is such that it would probably be a super easy mod to EDF if you're interested. The Fuselage is flow-through design except there's a center fuse layer that you'd have to build the ducting into. Here's mine if you're interested, it's the one on the left:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1681970
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Mar 06, 2008, 10:11 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Thanks Matt, know your posts well. I have a Ky F-16 (yep one of the old ones) which flies quite well. I've seen some of the newer (HP, Kyosho) they look a little smaller.

The SU-37 looks sweet, gotta make up my mind and get building...

Thanks...
Old Mar 07, 2008, 12:34 AM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey Sal,

Cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with! I'm sure it'll be sweet!
Old Mar 07, 2008, 01:19 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
Go with the phase 3 F-16...larger than the Kyosho and more scale in outline (no cheater wings). Pump it up on 4 cells and another fan and it really screams, but flies nice on the stock setup. Yeah the box color scheme looks like it should march in some sort of pride parade but you can't paint the thing, the 'stickers' don't come preattached.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Mar 07, 2008, 03:04 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
yep the HB F-16 is all the rage but a 70mm fan in it do all the mods and slap a 4s in there and go balistic
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 08, 2008, 06:24 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Ed / AS,

I've read a lot on the PH3 F-16, almost bought one. I think I'm going to stick with scratch building for a while. I've got a whole basement full of stuff (kits & power systems) that I'll probably sell. I'm not getting out of the hobby but my kids activities are definately putting a dent in it. I'm going to keep my DX7 and stick with the small edf jetset44 type design conversions...

Thanks...

ps. CN's Skyray is still the best flying little edf conversion I've built...
Old Mar 08, 2008, 07:20 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Hey Sal good to see you. My kids are still young enough that their social lives have not killed my free time....... yet.

One of my flying buddies wants to convert Steve's F-22 to EDF. That might be a fun one for you to try as well

Steve
Vintauri is online now Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2008, 12:09 AM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
There was a really cool EDF-40 F-22 around here somewhere recently. Looked really nice. Don't think it was Steve's though. Man, a Steve Shumate microfan F-22 would be smokin'!
Old Mar 09, 2008, 10:43 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Thanks guys, the F-22 does look inviting. I'm building another Skyray right now but I think the F-22 may be a good conversion...