HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2003, 10:42 AM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
Calling all Partenavia Experts

I finally received my Partenavia today.
Now I need help from all of you.

I am trying to decide, whether to cover the plane in ultracoat, or first use silkspan to strenghen it with a polyclrilic, or just use the decals, and get the thing in the air.

Any advice on would be greatly appreciated.
My reason for this is that I would like to protect the plane from dings and dents as it is foam.
ivorz is offline Find More Posts by ivorz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2003, 11:45 AM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
Ivorz, I've been flying the KP for over a year now and mine is covered stock. The foam is not as delicate as it may look. Get 'er built and in the air. Nevertheless, I have heard of others using the other types of covering you suggested. Good luck, she's a great flyer. Allow yourself plenty of room for final approach and fly her down for landings.
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
Old Jan 04, 2003, 12:09 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,408 Posts
Ivorz,

I covered mine in lightweight glassfibre cloth, the went over with polyacrylic and she seems much less 'ding-able'. Quite please!

Worth doing some other things as well - for example I epoxied 400 / 480 ply circular motor mounts to the top half of each of the engine nacelles, then screwed in the 480's, and screwed in the bottom half of the nacelle (via the bottom half of the ply motor mount), and also with a screw up through the bottom foam nacelle into the top part of the nacelle.

Can now remove / replace the motors if I need too!

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jan 04, 2003, 12:21 PM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
When you say you covered yours in light weight glass cloth and then went over with polycrylic, do you mean you used the polycrylic to adhere the cloth to the plane.

How much of a job was it to do and how did it turn out
Old Jan 04, 2003, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
I have another question.
Are the motors wired in parallel or series.
I assume parallel
Old Jan 04, 2003, 01:51 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,408 Posts
Ivorz,

Yup - I used the polyacrylic to adhere the glass cloth to the foam, and it worked out fine! The only thing I found was that I put a couple of coats of acrylic over the middle section of the wing, and where it went over any epoxy it showed up slightly yellow-ish.

Yup - the motors were wired in parallel.

Worst thing is epoxying the spar into the wing channel - my advice is DON'T use 5 mins epoxy (which is normally only 2mins it seems!) as you don't have time to ensure the spar is all the way down in the channel along the length of the wing!

Guess how I know!
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jan 06, 2003, 10:17 AM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
well I got the wiring installed in the wing and epoxied in the spar.
Question is, is it normal that the wing flexes as much as it does. I don't even have the motors installed yet.
Do I need to somehow strengthen it.
Old Jan 06, 2003, 10:53 AM
TCM
UK, County Antrim, Belfast
Joined Aug 2002
109 Posts
Mine is totally stock & yes the wing does flex a fair bit. Haven't had any problems in flight. Flies extremely well & as mentioned before allow long approaches as it will float on & on & on ... well you get the picture.
Good luck
TCM is offline Find More Posts by TCM
Old Jan 06, 2003, 11:42 AM
Joined Jan 1999
419 Posts
The wing will flex, but it seems to hold up pretty well. I ran a couple of strips of fiberglass strapping tape along the bottom of the wing to give it extra strength in bending. You don't really need to cover it with anything - the decals add plenty of strength and look nice. This is an all-time favorite flyer of mine. I flew it 3 times at our Polar Bear fly on New Years day in 20 mph winds and 25 deg temps.

Steve
Steven Horney is offline Find More Posts by Steven Horney