HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2008, 07:48 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Discussion
FMS NVidia compatability

It's been a while since I've looked; but had anyone figured out a good way to get FMS to run w/a NVidia graphics card?

While the program does run for me, I still get no graphics beyond green blocks... makes it reallllly tough to judge direction/etc...

Thx
AC
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2008, 08:05 PM
Rapid City, SD
Joined Nov 2007
13 Posts
AC5ff,
I use the FMS with a nvidia geforce5500 card. I also had green block for trees. Make sure your display drivers are up to date. I have a problem with a slight studder in the program when I am fluing. I usually turn off my internet access and it tkaes care of it.
lrb605 is offline Find More Posts by lrb605
Old Mar 04, 2008, 04:32 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
irb605
I've updated drivers, updated programs, etc etc etc with no help. I don't even get trees; all I see is green blocks forming the land.. arrrrgghh
However, everything i've flown flys smooth; no jumpiness at all. that's why i really want to see this with real 'graphics'
Old Mar 04, 2008, 05:19 PM
Northern Ireland
Joined Sep 2007
83 Posts
click graphics at the top

it should show - (no tick) fog
(tick) smooth textures
(tick) textures

left click them if theyre different , i've just tried clicking textures to untick it and the ground turned into the green squares as you described and back to normal when ticked

in graphics /options mine is set to -

16 or 32 bit doesnt matter , rest are ticked except for true alpha

hope this helps ?
Ni-cyclic1 is offline Find More Posts by Ni-cyclic1
Old Mar 04, 2008, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Ni-cyclic1

I've gone through every conceveable combiniation of settings possible. Some settings give no scenery at all; just a plane.. Others will give good textures/scenery, but is very jumpy and no plane! LoL I just cant get it to work!!! :P
Old Mar 05, 2008, 08:27 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2008
7 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my NVIDIA GeForce 8400 M GS. According to a consensus on another forum, the problem has been traced down to the NVIDIA/VISTA combination. I can either risk a seizure with a flashing screen when I turn the smooth textures on, or fly through blockland when I turn smooth textures off. On the photo-realistic sceneries, all I get is a plane with a white background.

On another forum, someone suggested changing the size of one of the background images to 2048X2048. I decided to try that with all of the background images. At first the window flashed, but then I resized the window and it worked. The scenery (aircraft carrier) was perfect, but the simulation was kinda sluggish (running on Dell Vostro 1400 w/ 1.4 GHz Core Duo, 2GB ram). But, somehow that method only worked once, and I have been flying through blockland since.

Before updating my NVIDIA driver, I deleted my old one. I decided to give FMS a shot, and the scenery was perfect once again (and this time not just for one flight). But, the majority of other graphics-intensive software no longer worked. I decided it was worth it, but the next time I restarted my computer the new driver had somehow auto-installed iteslf

So, if anyone has any better solutions, I would appreciate their wisdom.
phiwi is offline Find More Posts by phiwi
Old Mar 05, 2008, 12:08 PM
Joined Jul 2006
298 Posts
Must be Vista

That dell sounds just like mine except I am running XP. FMS - 2.7 & 2.85 both display fine as installed. Running in a window or full screen.
kf2qd is offline Find More Posts by kf2qd
Old Mar 05, 2008, 12:25 PM
Flies like an...
Joined May 2004
108 Posts
Well, I've really been considering formatting this thing and installing XP on it, and posts like that help convince me, KF2!

I've been enduring 'blockland' in FMS, but I just noticed that the island landscapes have no WATER...that makes landing a floatplane a real drag.
Vernon is offline Find More Posts by Vernon
Old Mar 05, 2008, 05:02 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf2qd
That dell sounds just like mine except I am running XP. FMS - 2.7 & 2.85 both display fine as installed. Running in a window or full screen.
What vid card you using?
Old Mar 09, 2010, 02:30 AM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
Cant believe this problem is that old and no fixes, always hated Nvidia, just like I hate Intel, the big boys cut corners. AMD and ATI from now on.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:06 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen View Post
Cant believe this problem is that old and no fixes, always hated Nvidia, just like I hate Intel, the big boys cut corners. AMD and ATI from now on.
its not nvidia's fault, its the programers. nvidia has the best graphics cards. trust me i had plenty of ati's and they arent that great.
iniqui7y is offline Find More Posts by iniqui7y
Old Jun 09, 2010, 11:32 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,665 Posts
I would not fault the FMS programmers either. The current release of FMS was built about 6 years ago. It is amazing it lasted this long without some issues.

Someone said that DirectX has changed over time and broken object rules it overlooked a few years ago are now strictly enforced.

I am told the bottom "ground" image is inverted in the 3D space. If you replace that 3D image with a 1x1 pixel .bmp file, FMS will not load the bottom image and the flickering will stop. Not the best solution, but certainly a viable work-around.

Since I am still running WinXP, I do not have this issue or I would be happy to verify the solution.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:03 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Folks I think the problem is the NVIDIA not Vista. I loaned my FMS setup to my father-in-law who ran it on his laptop that has Vista, but uses a different video driver and it worked fine. Complete detail to all sceneries, planes, no flashing, no glitches. Even the photo realistic scenes worked fine.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1