HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2008, 12:45 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Discussion
Full scale flying compared to RC flying, revisited

At risk of talking to myself or adding clutter, I think this topic is worth revisiting.

The increasing interest in RC flying must include a lot of previous full scale pilots, and RC flyers with full scale experience please chime in here .

A long time ago for years I lived flying single engine commercial and instument, and when I wandered into the LHS 3mo ago I figured I should be able to do that no sweat. HEHE Unfortunately the promp realities may turn off many of these previous pilots before they adapt to the big difference and get into the fun . For such newbies understanding can be a big help.

From my experience so far I find RC flying is a different ball game than full scale flying. Full scale experience is useful only for figuring out what may be going on and what happened when you auger in. Even if you flew full scale aerobatics, you'll have to think of yourself as a novice pilot.

Watching the plane and controlling it with dinky movements of thumbs is totally different than being in the plane and controlling it with your hands. It takes a lot practice to learn orientation and unlearn overcontrol. It means learning to fly all over again, and just keep practicing (a simulator will save you bucks). It may include tears, sweat (and sometimes blood if you get your fingers into a spinning prop) but it is worth it. RC flying is as much fun as full scale and you don't get hurt if you crash. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2008, 01:15 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
From my experience so far I find RC flying is a different ball game than full scale flying. Full scale experience is useful only for figuring out what may be going on and what happened when you auger in. Even if you flew full scale aerobatics, you'll have to think of yourself as a novice pilot.

Very true.

The model has no altimiter... no turn/bank indicator, no airspeed indicator, no stall buzzer and you can't FEEL what the plane is doing.

You have to relearn flying because you are not in the plane... you are flying from 3rd person, fixed position perspective rather than first person perspective.

I have very little full scale stick time... just a couple of official lessons in a C-172 (when I was 17) and before that a few times my father let me take the stick of a plane similar to a Piper Cub (that he rebuilt in our house) when I was 11. But... I know very well that RC flying is FAR different from being in the aircraft.

Just as my MANY years of RC flying doesn't have me anywhere near qualified to handle any full scale aircraft... 1000's of hours of full scale doesn't really prepare you for the RC experience.

And thinking that either prepares you for the other in more than gaining understanding of how things SHOULD work is asking to crash due to overconfidence. (which led to the CAG off of the USS Enterprise letting me tell people that I, a 15 yr old kid at the time, could fly better than he could... when dealing with model airplanes.)
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 01, 2008, 01:19 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
I agree that full scale will help you understand what you are seeing, but wont translate to the thumbs directly. That takes practice and burning the neurons until it is automatic how you react.

I do have to disagree about the fun factor. RC is way more fun because there is a whole lot less at stake. In full scale they train the barnstormer out of you because it can be so unforgiving. You screw up in RC and most likely, youre the only one disappointed as you go to pick up the scraps. We, as RC pilots, usually fly in some open space, not over anyone, so the risk is minimal. The risks in RC still need to be managed, but the difference is night and day.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Mar 01, 2008, 01:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
RC flying is as much fun as full scale and you don't get hurt if you crash.
Actually, more funner by far.

With RC flying, I can use my imagination and do a GREAT job of pretending I'm the WW I ace in my ancient biplane protecting the skies from the evil Red Baron over my homeland.

I can see and feel the flapping of my scarf as it trails behind me... peering out through my goggles for anyone who dares enter my field of combat.

After that particular fantasy is over, I can grab any number of other planes in my collection and once again assume a whole new persona befitting the plane I'm now flying.

Let the pilot of a full scale passenger plane have that much fun with his daily commutes cross country, I dare him!

Chuck (whose hero will always be Walter Mitty)
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 01, 2008, 02:08 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Sounds like we all got lots more to learn. More fun fun fun Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Mar 01, 2008 at 10:27 PM.