Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:53 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
Rave
This is the thread to blabber in #2

Well, we had our other blabber thread closed, so I've opened a new one (since I've not seen/heard of Phil for a couple of days).

... here we go again
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Last edited by PLD; Feb 29, 2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Changed catagory
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,526 Posts
If you purchased a new petrol aussie six in the last three years dont look at this site, clearly a trend away from larger cars.

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/home.php

We purchased a ford and a small mazda just over 3 years ago, the ford was twice the price on purchase, now the ford is just 3k more in trade in value compared to the small car.

The trend is only going to get worse.
Geoff2005 is online now Find More Posts by Geoff2005
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:19 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
I've got a big-6 (Falcon 4.0, 1996 Olympic special) and honest, it's really starting to annoy me with the consumption. Trouble is being out here, we frequently also have to travel on the highway for a few hours each way and that's where you want the falcon or similar.... the other problem is rego for 6cyl is insane these days

Maybe I'll get a motorbike again :\
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:26 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,526 Posts
Yeah, cant beat the ride of a long wheelbase in country Aus. Maybe LPG is the answer.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:32 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
Geoff,

LPG could be a way to go - I heard they offered a $1500 rebate for it in the past?

It is a tough trade ... crappy ride in a lightweight 4cyl and sane rego (though for how long?) ... vs nice ride in a 6cyl with insane rego.

Getting second car is a bit of a false economy in a lot of ways, more rego/insurance/service bills but lower average fuel consumption (when split between the two cars).

Yeah, maybe a motorbike could be the trick for the round-town runs (ie, often I only have a handful or parcels to deliver for NQRC. Trouble with motorbikes is that people really do like crushing them with their cars (been riding nearly 20 years now, only stopped recently because I thought it as being more responsible as a family man).

Paul
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:04 PM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,362 Posts
I have a 2002 falcon wagon with factory LPG. $8 per 100km or $7/100 for me because I shop at coles with a source CC. Not many 4cyl get that sort economy.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:12 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
I think it's time for me to go and clean out the shed a bit more. Having trouble fitting the whipper-snipper in at the moment (nice Honda 4-stroke one, so I don't want to leave it out and get nicked!).... also having trouble finding a good place for all these 1m long sheets of balsa.... ugh, the limits of a 6x3 shed ... maybe I should take over the other one that's adjacent to it (heh, my inlaws would kill me probably).
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:14 PM
Learning to fly helis
Mundijong, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2006
1,322 Posts
V6? What's a V6? Oh yeah those sloooowww things
What I find funny is that everyone goes on about fuel efficency and yet they all go out and buy autos. I know the new autos are better, but I don't think they match the efficency of a manual.
Wasn't there something about V8 sales being the highest ever in Australia last year?

Now subscribed to the new blabber thread. Lets see how long before we can hit the limit on this one Wonder how many people had a heart attack when they saw the RC groups tech saying he had closed the thread?

Troy
Evil Lord X is offline Find More Posts by Evil Lord X
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:17 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi Guys

I thought my SRI barina was doing ok at 6.9litres per 100kms, based on the price of petrol, some days are worse than others. lol
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:18 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
Troy,

V6? What? Straight 6's in the Falcon's mate. V6 is in my other car (the Mitsubish Magna 3.0 ... now those consume a lot of fuel ). Can't do much about the magna as I've given it to my inlaws to replace their deathtrap of a car (lovely things like brakes failing, gear selector pulling out of the gearbox, doors not working from the inside ... stunning stuff.

We just need to convert over to electric motors - wonder how the conversations will go then "Yeah, I've got a 12 pole, 3 stator motor *vroom vroom*".
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:26 PM
Learning to fly helis
Mundijong, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2006
1,322 Posts
Heh, nice. Hey that "death trap" sounds like a ford from the symptoms you describe I know, I shouldn't.
My ute is doing about 11L/100km atm on PREMIUM @ ~$1.40L make you lot feel better?

Hey Paul, did you see the news story about the new permormance hybrid from Toyota? Does 0-100 in 6 seconds from memory. Didn't look bad either, wasn't too concept looking. still a few years off though.

Troy
Evil Lord X is offline Find More Posts by Evil Lord X
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:19 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
ELX,

*BZZZZT* wrong. It's an old 1982 (I think) Nissan Bluebird.

As for those concept vehicles, they annoy me a LOT because of the fact that they're always 5~10 years away... and in reality they just get canned
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:37 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,526 Posts
I think you could make an electric car with some CF, Depron, a brushless outrunner driving each wheel and some lipos.

I can see it now, "damn left the lights on and now my battery has puffed up" or "was just in the critical point overtaking a truck and got an LVC"
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:39 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
ELX,

It's an old 1982 (I think) Nissan Bluebird.

"A four cylinder limousine"
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:50 PM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,239 Posts
My old 340K EL falcon gets 12 litres per 100 around town, and 9 on the freeway, good enough for me.
I'll be updating reasonably soon with another petrol 6. I like the looks and the price of an 04-05 XR6-T. Good performance std, esp with the 6 speed auto, and serious YEEHAA with minimal mods.

Fuel costs for me is big, I did 1200 KM this week alone, but I need a big car. I tow a boat, often tow bikes, have 1.5 big kids, need a big boot and I like my cars to accelerate up hills Short of buying a Subaru, the safety of smaller cars leave a LOT to be desired. I say this knowing that big 4*4 are just as ordinary.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Closed Thread