HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Is this thread worth while?
Very Worth While, I'll post some models! 158 45.93%
Cool I'll use your models thanks. 156 45.35%
Umm it is ok. 25 7.27%
3D what is that? You are wasting your time! 5 1.45%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:44 AM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
Poll
Free 3D! Sketchup Parts!

I not sure if every one knows this already but you can get an awesome 3D drafting program for free!! It is called Sketchup from Google. I wanted to help every one that uses this program with free models of RC components to use in their mock ups. The addition of servos, motors, props, rx, and lipos will really make a model look finished!

So here is the deal if you use Sketchup and want to build models of your rc equipment, servos, rx, batteries, and so on, you can post a picture below and next to that the model in a zip file. Make sure your model is the same size as the real component. If your model includes wires please make them short and remember to group you rc component. Try to follow my examples below to keep this topic clean looking.
anyairrc is offline Find More Posts by anyairrc
Last edited by anyairrc; Feb 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:11 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,503 Posts
That's a very cool idea. I've tried Sketchup but haven't really had much success with it, though I must admit, I haven't spent much time with it either.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:37 PM
Concept Builder
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
I was wondering when I would see this thread. Excellent! (As you can see in my BattleChicken thread I am using Sketchup as well. I guess I will have to put some more detail into my accessories though.

Edit: You might want to put "Sketchup Parts" or similar in your topic title.
Vanish is offline Find More Posts by Vanish
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:49 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
I have this program on my pc but haven't even tried it. Think I'll give it a go. Thanks.
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:47 PM
Italy
Joined Sep 2004
791 Posts
Hello Any ,
look at this too .....

Cool program and great job.
We need some tutorial on explode and tile printing SU function.

Franky
frankyfly is offline Find More Posts by frankyfly
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:26 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,936 Posts
The big question is how to get the free version to export something other than a jpg file. last time i checked you had to pop for the Pro version to get export drivers for pdf, dwg, etc. If we could get a pdf exporter, and scale and tile from there, would be perfect. I agree it's a powerfu, easyto use program for drawing stuff!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:57 PM
Concept Builder
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2008
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
The big question is how to get the free version to export something other than a jpg file. last time i checked you had to pop for the Pro version to get export drivers for pdf, dwg, etc. If we could get a pdf exporter, and scale and tile from there, would be perfect. I agree it's a powerfu, easyto use program for drawing stuff!
Free Version

File -> Print
Select Vector Printing, 1.00 or 2.00 line weight
Click PDF -> Save as PDF

Voila!
Vanish is offline Find More Posts by Vanish
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:06 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,936 Posts
in my version, 6.0.515, I don't get the vector printing option in the print menu box. Do you have some plugins?

in export, I can only export as a googleearth file
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2008, 12:02 AM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
I have tried also with no luck, it must be some kind of plug in I can't print to PDF
anyairrc is offline Find More Posts by anyairrc
Old Mar 01, 2008, 12:08 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
To print to PDF google "PrimoPDF." I've only used it a few times but my dad loves it and says it's very easy to use.

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Mar 05, 2008, 05:56 PM
United States, CT, New London
Joined Jan 2006
188 Posts
I am currently working on creating a model for the EDF40, but it is rather difficult. As an engineering student, I am used to using software created for the purpose of precision drawing. Sketchup just does not go along with the way my mind works or what I am used to. Hopefully I'll figure it out. If not, I'll just post up the model minus rotor and let someone else try to finish it.
kswaid is offline Find More Posts by kswaid
Old Mar 05, 2008, 09:51 PM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
Looks good I'll check it out,Thanks!
BBL
Bob
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Old Mar 06, 2008, 07:53 AM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Cool thread!
I have been trying to export as well, I have found a STL plug in that allow you to export to an STL file, not sure if it helps but if you guys want it you can have it.
Also I found a DXF exporter that works in the free sketchup, but its all in German, and of course when I need it to share with you guys I can't find it. I will keep looking and post it when I find it.
Mark
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Mar 06, 2008, 07:24 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
I've been wrestling with scketup off and on for a year or so. Without a plug-in that I can't get to work on a MAC Sketchup will not create complex or compound curves (splines, beizers). Only arcs and circles which can be combined - painfully - to approximate what we need.

What I did find it useful for was scaleing 3 views to create a rough 3D model I can take measurements from. IE import the 3 views onto the 3 planes. Draw and push-pull shapes to get close. You can then play around with sizes and angles and take measurements to translate to building materials much quicker than working with a basic 3 view and a ruler. You can also work with component placement easily.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Mar 06, 2008, 08:22 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
Im not any good with the program , But frankly , i havent messed with it much
But i dont have no trouble producing pdf files with it.
Dont understand your problem there !

Here is what i get.

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo