HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2003, 04:52 PM
Joined Aug 2001
35 Posts
my model aviation adventure thus far...

Well, after much thought and lurking around on these boards I decided to seek some guidance.

My story begins last summer where after years of yearning for r/c flight I bought a wattage lightning rtf. After about 30min of flight time I had completely demolished it so I bought replacement parts. I unsuccessfully tried to solder the motors into a new wing I put the plane away. I was disappointed...

A week later I bought a pico stick fuselage version. I built it in one day and slowly procured elctronics over the next few weeks. But, school started and I put the plane into my basement to collect some dust. I didn't want to push ahead and accidently destroy the first plane I actually had to build.

A few days ago I got christmas money and a new urge to fly that plane. So, I visited my lhs and got a few parts a battery and charger for the pico. Within 2 hours I had completed everything I needed to fly. Those damned pushrods are impossible to bend! I taxied the plane around and I decided I would try to fly it in my backyard the next day. (The small backyard and trees were the demise of the lightning rtf) (The yard is 3 acres but my house is in the middle and trees are scattered within)

I decided to rog off the freshly fallen ice crust and I had 5-6 20second hops around my yard. Later the wind picked up and I could'nt fly so I charged up the pack and waited. Around 4 today I went to fly and I hand launched the plane and it took off and climbed rapidly but it could not turn fast enough to avoid the rear treeline of my backyard. I had the rudder to full turn and in a panic I cut the engine. The plane hit a max altitude of 60-70ft and smashed into the trees at about 25ft. It splintered into 5 foam parts and I sorrowfully collected them. I plan to glue them back together tonight, and none of the elctronics were damaged...but ouch that was a nasty sound of the plane hitting that row of monster trees.

I used the 7.2v 270mah battery and it had plenty of power, but why was its turning radius soo wide. I have fms and I find flying in fms is extremely easy compared to real models. Can anyone offer any advice. Will a heavily epoxied plane still fly? Repair tips? Yes, I know I'm an idiot for smashing it when I knew I was flying in too small of an area. Arrgghhh..oh well..Ill be back later
flyercomet is offline Find More Posts by flyercomet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2003, 05:18 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi FC, So far so good. Next time give yourself a chance and find a bigger area to fly in. Save the backyard for after you get the hang of it.

The fuse Stik should turn on a dime. Do you have the correct dihedral? Maybe a little more would help. also make sure your getting full movement of the rudder and that the pushrods are not binding.

Repairs should be no problem, some packing tape, epoxy or Probond and it'll fly almost as good as new.

Read Tres Wrights thread on "that dreaded maiden flight" in the training forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=79212

Best of luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 03, 2003, 07:03 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Are the Throws

big or small? If its not turnign good enought, do what Basketcase said or increase the throws by moving the pushrods, farther out on the servo arm and closer on the control horn. Doing that will increase yout throw, and in turn decrease your turning radius.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jan 03, 2003, 07:46 PM
Joined Aug 2001
35 Posts
Well, a solid hour of epoxy fun I have the plane in workable order. I also put a small steel rod across the leading edge of the wing to stabilize it. It was some extensive damage to the wing and elevator, but tape and epoxy solved it. I will look into the control throws, becuase that must be the problem. Either the throws were WAY off or...I didnt put the antennae all the way up and the end of my backyard was too far away. If thats the deal then geez I messed up. Well things are looking better now so Ill let the epoxy cure overnight, the snow will stop by noon and sunshine till 4. I can walk to a local cornfield and fly there...It's Huge! I hope it all goes well. Gotta check the rudder controls, I was shocked at how it climbs.

I have a 10x4.7 and a 11x4.7 wich should I use? I think the 10x4.7 climbed faster, but it may have been my imagination...
Old Jan 03, 2003, 09:18 PM
Joined Aug 2001
35 Posts
Alright! I played with different servo horns and I played with the control horn and presto! It turns! Thank you!

I went outside in the sleet and taxied my plane around...then it really hit me how much better the steering is! The added weight of all the fixings did not make it any less eager to jump into the air. I was very happy. Tommorrow I will fly it in a BIG OPEN SPACE...I hope it goes well.
Old Jan 03, 2003, 09:32 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Congrats FC, you've passed the first hurdle. Don't try to fly if there's more than 2 or 3 mph wind. It's hard to wait but worth it.

The 10x4.7 prop is probably the best for indoor (or very light wind outdoor). The 11x4.7 will likely overheat the motor or batteries or both. You'll probably get better results with a 9x7 prop.

When you decide to get another battery pack or two check out the 7 cell NiMH packs, you can get 3 times the duration and slightly more power. Or the Kokam LiPolys with twice the duration of the MHs. Three packs are ideal if you field charge, one to fly, one to cool and one to charge.

Best of luck on the re-maiden.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 03, 2003, 10:24 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Any of us that learned to fly on our own have gone through the crash and repair cycle several times but sounds like you are doing better than average just keeping it in the air! Good luck on your next flight!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jan 04, 2003, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2001
35 Posts
Today I went out to the cornfield with 1 inch of fresh snow and a desire to fly. There was a tiny breeze 2-3mph, but I did not think it would be a factor. I hand launch the plane from the 12inch cut cornstalks and it climbed rapidly from may habds to about 40 feet where I tried to make an easy level turn. but as soon as I has it flying level a gust of wind came out from nowhere and tipped the plane sideways. I would have sworn there was no powerful wind, but ugghhh bad luck. I managed to make the fall slightly less horrible but pulling up on the elevator and easing it out, but I still bent up the elevator and rudder (Much Much Much less severe damage than before) I left immediatley after because the light breeze all of the sudden came with gusts that even threatend to knock the plane out of my hands as I was walking home.

I fixed the tail...not a problem at all...but I still wanted to fly.

So I returned to my backyard with a charged battery pack and confidence that wind wouldnt be a problem. (My yard has dense trees all around that are more than 80ft tall so if you are under that you barely feel much wind) I was cautiously hand launching and flying the pico through a 1.5acre clearing in my yard. The turns were MUCH tighter and could keep it in the air confidently at about 8-12ft. for 3minute mini-flights. It was great. I can happily say I have a good feel for how to handle my plane and I can land and take off in windless conditions without a problem. The plane loses a lot of altitude in the turns, but it allowed me to do some turning/diving touch and gos that were really neat. I look forward to more flying.
Old Jan 04, 2003, 05:27 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flyercomet
Today I went out to the cornfield with 1 inch of fresh snow and a desire to fly. There was a tiny breeze 2-3mph, but I did not think it would be a factor. I hand launch the plane from the 12inch cut cornstalks and it climbed rapidly from may habds to about 40 feet where I tried to make an easy level turn. but as soon as I has it flying level a gust of wind came out from nowhere and tipped the plane sideways. I would have sworn there was no powerful wind, but ugghhh bad luck. I managed to make the fall slightly less horrible but pulling up on the elevator and easing it out, but I still bent up the elevator and rudder (Much Much Much less severe damage than before) I left immediatley after because the light breeze all of the sudden came with gusts that even threatend to knock the plane out of my hands as I was walking home.

I fixed the tail...not a problem at all...but I still wanted to fly.

So I returned to my backyard with a charged battery pack and confidence that wind wouldnt be a problem. (My yard has dense trees all around that are more than 80ft tall so if you are under that you barely feel much wind) I was cautiously hand launching and flying the pico through a 1.5acre clearing in my yard. The turns were MUCH tighter and could keep it in the air confidently at about 8-12ft. for 3minute mini-flights. It was great. I can happily say I have a good feel for how to handle my plane and I can land and take off in windless conditions without a problem. The plane loses a lot of altitude in the turns, but it allowed me to do some turning/diving touch and gos that were really neat. I look forward to more flying.
Congrads!! All you need to do now is feed in a little up elevator as you start your turn and pretty soon you will turn without losing or gaining altitude!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jan 04, 2003, 08:06 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Congrats on the maidens

the F model is the plane i started with as i re-entered the RC plane hobby

my first FD is now a 4 channel no dihedral bird and i i have a second one that is just plane stock built with wing struts for looping

its a great bird to learn on!!!

and BTW with the fixed battery bay if you want to try different batteries you will have to undersling them or squezze them into the top over the battery compartment

the 6 cell 400 mah E-Flight packs give me about 15 min duration

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Jan 05, 2003, 08:46 AM
Joined Aug 2001
35 Posts
Day 3 of flying

Well, my 7.2v 270mah gives me plenty of flight time. 10 minutes ago (9:30 AM) I finished a series of my most successful flights yet.

I had about 5 1-3minute flights which were incredibly relaxing and blissful. I trimmed the plane out by my second mini-flight so I could cruise at 60% throttle and not lose altitude. I flew in my backyard at a constant altitude between 15 and 25 feet. Towards the end I tried some shallow dives and tried to see how much up elevator I could give before it gave signs of a stall. My chargr charges in 25min so Ill be flying very very soon. The best part of my recent flights NO DAMAGE TO MY PLANE! Yes, I was able to land appropriately softly every time. I cut my flights short sometimes when I couldnt see the plane or it was headed toward some unavoidable danger. In which case I gently turned the throttle down and coasted down for an abrupt yet soft enough landing.
Wow this whole flying thing is amazingly fun. Those 2 ch planes really dont give the real feel of piloting that the rudder/elevator planes do. I am really pleased. I kind of want a Beaver as a next plane because we have a summer house on a lake ROW sounds like an excellent challenge. Summer is still far away and my pico stick still has tons of flying left in it.