Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:09 AM
The return of the spity
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Feb 2005
330 Posts
Help!
Correct 3.17mm PINION for Honey Bee King 2

Hi,

Can anyone help me find a pinion to suit the Honey Bee King 2 main gear set?
I have used the Align ones and although it seems to actually mesh in correctly, after 2 maybe 3 flights my main gear is shreded by the pinion.

I have ordered this one from Readyheli but I think the problem will still occur if it's an exact replacement to the original brass ones from Align I am using now.
spityman is offline Find More Posts by spityman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:12 AM
Heli Crackhead
Seminole, FL
Joined Dec 2007
324 Posts
I'm interested in some responses to this thread also, but I'll say I'm using the Blade400 10t pinion, and it seems to work OK, but admittedly I have not too many flights on it. The good news is, the Blade400 main gear is supposedly a direct swap-out for the King main gear, and is better quality plastic, and should be guaranteed to mesh well with the Blade400 pinion.

Ricky
DesignDawg is offline Find More Posts by DesignDawg
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:27 AM
The return of the spity
Joined Feb 2005
330 Posts
Hmmm...

the Blade 400 10t pinion I quickly looked up it is a 0.5m pinion not a 3.17mm like I require for my 3800kv motor.

Bruno
Last edited by spityman; Feb 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:48 PM
hover happy
over under
Joined Aug 2007
1,140 Posts
That number would be 0.5 module, which is the correct gear tooth size for the King v2.

FYI, module is (gear diameter in mm)/(number of teeth + 2). You can use that formula to calculate how large a pinion you can fit without modifying your motor mount.

-Jeff
spinup is offline Find More Posts by spinup
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:22 PM
Spain
Joined Oct 2007
72 Posts
I have the same pinion, it was a pain to mount it, but in the end it fitted, I had to make a lot of space for it in the frame, because the hole wasn't big enough.

Although, it doesn't look the same color now, this is the pinion mounted on my honey bee king:

PD: as you can see I have the frame repaired from previous crash, and now it's more robust, but be careful with the dremel if you have the stock frame, you can weak it too much
NoX_sp is offline Find More Posts by NoX_sp
Old Mar 03, 2008, 11:17 PM
The return of the spity
Joined Feb 2005
330 Posts
Great picture there noX.

I have placed one of the pinions you suggest on order from one of our local hobby shops, in the meanwhile I decided to replace the existing motor shaft with one of the same thickness (so I didn't ruin the original one) and put it on a drill and ground it down to the size of the original pinion (from a thick 3.17mm).
Seems to have worked a treat too.

I will still try the blade 400 pinion once I get it but for now at least I am not chewing through main gears.
Old Mar 03, 2008, 11:45 PM
Heli Crackhead
Seminole, FL
Joined Dec 2007
324 Posts
Yep.

Just a little update on that Blade400 pinion... I've decided it's not a great match. It really feels like a good mesh, and it's supposed to be, but my pinion is getting chewed up badly. Yes, you read that right. The PINION looks concave, as if it is being melted and/or ground down by the main gear, which looks fine. I'm planning on buying a blade 400 main gear tomorrow and a new 9t blade 400 pinion (I'm on a 10T right now, which may be related to my problem), as obviously the Blade400 parts should mesh perfectly with each other. I also hear the Blade400 gear is mch higher quality, and when you match it with the B40 pinion, it runs very quietly and smoothly. I want that.

Ricky
DesignDawg is offline Find More Posts by DesignDawg
Old Mar 04, 2008, 06:46 PM
The return of the spity
Joined Feb 2005
330 Posts
Thanks Ricky
you posted this just in time so I am not making the buy then.
I have done more flying with my custom made (downsized shaft at the end) to fit the original pinion and it works really well!

It is only the job of shaping the shaft then you can stick to all original parts too...

Bruno