HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2001, 01:43 AM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Another Walmart $2.99 special tears up the sky.

Got out to fly the Black-Rider (because I covered it with black packing tape and the foamie glider it's based on is a SkyRider) today.

Elevator/Aileron
Fiber tape spar top and bottom, pre-stressed which really adds strength as the wing is kinda flimsy to begin with.
speed 400
8 cell 500mah nicad
6x4 master airscrew
36" span with full span aileron

I'll try to finagle-sp? a digital cam to get some pictures as she looks good in flight. Flies pretty fast, more stable than the zagi, but does rolls quickly. Could be a little more powerful so maybe I'll drop a 480 in and see what happens. Has a stubby nose, so kinda looks like a bearcat in flight from 100 yards plus.

Other than that, hacking up a cassette case into a simple motor mount, which I thought was genius at the time, really isn't. It broke on a slightly higher angle than normal landing, but no other damage.

Still working out c of g, throws, aerobatics, etc. It's a pretty good flying plane for a $3 kit, some tape, a meat tray and some scrap balsa. Had the groundskeepers at City Park taking bets and laughing up a storm while they played AAA gunners with the sprinkler system. Not really, but it was fun to fly between the water jets banking and yankin.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2001, 10:51 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
I thought the Skyraider had only a 24" WS? Did you extend the wing somehow?

I just bought 2 kits, and was thinking of making a biplane out of it with 24" WS, and a balsa fuse.

I also got the 4.5' Flying Eagle. Makes a nice cheap & lite wing by adding strapping tape and a 1/4" x 1" TE. Planning on using it for a powered glider.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jun 19, 2001, 03:20 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
It's a Sky-Rider, not raider and I clipped about 7" off each wingtip and some near the center to straighten the wing. It's the larger blue foam glider available at Walmart.

NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Jun 19, 2001, 03:50 PM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,390 Posts
The 24" span glider flies great with a direct drive GWS DX motor and cox viper prop on 6x150mah NiCads. Heve only flown throttle channel/free flight at this point but plenty of power. Hope to add controls soon but it should work fine.

I previously did a twin with 2ea. 3V radio shack motor in series on 6 cells and taileron control and it worked good (same props).

Have fun!

Steve
Steve McBride is offline Find More Posts by Steve McBride
Old Jun 19, 2001, 04:31 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
Yes, they do fly well for only a couple of bucks and some time. The tape is the best thing for these wings but I want to do a balsa trailing edge and ail. too.

Go to Palos RC site and use their online CG locator. Pretty neat.

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old Jun 20, 2001, 10:21 AM
Peoria, IL
Joined May 2001
20 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of these built planes with elts added?
Jimonline is offline Find More Posts by Jimonline
Old Jun 20, 2001, 08:21 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts

Where ya putting everything to get it
to balance with that long nose?

DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Jun 21, 2001, 08:40 PM
Atlanta GA
Joined Mar 2001
59 Posts
Do a search on all the Ezone forums. There is a pic that shows a great setup. I fly mine with a Mega Mig 280 with a MP Jet 4.5 gb and a 10x7 apc prop on 6 270 nicads. Flys slowly for 10 mins wide open.The CG needs to be much farther back than you will think.

Ray
Ray Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Ray Brooks