HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:46 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,312 Posts
Discussion
Post your swap meet finds (or nightmares)

Most of the Shady Fliers showed up for a swap meet a couple of weeks ago. Most of us came home with a plane or some other stuff. I, myself, found a Wattage S3 Viking kit for $20. After some information searches here I found out it isn't a good flyer. This kit would need a lot of work possibly including upgrading to brushless. It also would need expensive electronics to get just the stock kit to work. Not to mention I'm a newbie to building models.

Long story short...another member found a GWS BN2 (also $20). He had showed interest in my Viking. We ended up trading kits. This would be cheaper for me to build and his pockets are deeper for the Viking.

I'm looking at this now as a learning opportunity. I'll be installing ailerons, and the rudder with hinges.

Later I'm starting a tread for boring models that don't deserve a build thread!

ANYWAY... post your finds and wether they were worth it or not!
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:53 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,793 Posts
well this wasent me but a freind went to some swap meet in ohio and bought 8 or 10 IPS-50 brushed motors for 10 DOLLORS damn I missed out on a great deal.... instead I paid about 85 dollors on the direct drive ones for my goose
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:17 PM
Joined Jun 2004
228 Posts
At the NW hobby expo I found a mega 22/30/3 with a pheonix 35 for $60! I was pretty stoked.
oceansfiftyseve is offline Find More Posts by oceansfiftyseve
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:45 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
I have found over the years:
VK Fokker Triplane ($25)
VK Nieuport 17 ($30)
Pica Waco YMF5 1/6 scale ($50)
Master Kit Sorrel Hyperbipe ($45)
Graupner UHU ($35)
Graupner UHU ($45)
Plus many many more.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:31 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM
I have found over the years:
VK Fokker Triplane ($25)
VK Nieuport 17 ($30)
Pica Waco YMF5 1/6 scale ($50)
Master Kit Sorrel Hyperbipe ($45)
Graupner UHU ($35)
Graupner UHU ($45)
Plus many many more.

BM
I take it you'll be at the Lebannon Flea market next weekend then...

best I did was a never flown Wingo with Brushed motor and ESC for $5.00.

I like picking up odd tools and avation books from flea markets - you can haggle better deals.
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Feb 29, 2008, 08:44 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1814
I take it you'll be at the Lebannon Flea market next weekend then...

best I did was a never flown Wingo with Brushed motor and ESC for $5.00.

I like picking up odd tools and avation books from flea markets - you can haggle better deals.
I was curious when that market was... I needs to get me there. I assume it's worth the 2.5 hour drive?
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:14 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
I was curious when that market was... I needs to get me there. I assume it's worth the 2.5 hour drive?
For the slimmer fan it is the epiphany of flea markets for shear volume. For us Electric folks, there are a lot of resource materials and unbuilt kits to look at - maybe this year will have more electric stuff. I have never been to any other R/C flea market I can't really comment on the "worth" of it. It's about 2 hours for me. I take the drive for the books and odd tools and usually pick up other trinkets...there is always hope for the Svenson Storch to be be found...

here's the link ...

Cheers,
Steve
Last edited by steve1814; Feb 29, 2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added link
Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:57 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
steve1814
I live for flea markets. I like Lebanon and Hamburg in March and Doylestown in December. I've done well at both. There used to be one in Armonk,NY that was pretty good as well but they haven't had it in several years. I wasn't too happy with Kutztown when I was there last but I have heard it has gotten better.
My latest gem was a Astroflite Monocoupe. I never knew the kit existed until I saw it at Hamburg. I probably paid too much for it but-- hey it's a rarey.

BTW there was a Svenson Storch there last year. The guy had a $200 price on it if I remember but I might be wrong about the price.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 29, 2008, 04:46 PM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM
steve1814

BTW there was a Svenson Storch there last year. The guy had a $200 price on it if I remember but I might be wrong about the price.

BM
Ack! How did I miss that! -it's easy to do I guess. Ok guys - those of you going to the flea market up in Lebannon need to find me if you discover a storch. Look for the bald guy..

Cheers,
Steve