HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:15 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Build Log
GWS A-4 Build Log / General Discussion

This is going to be my new home to post any numbers, mods, or general info about the GWS A-4. Feel free to take part, discuss, and share anything about this plane you wish. GWS representatives are welcome as are thier comments but remember this thread is not in the GWS area and open to any and all products to be discussed in use with the A-4.

Now all that out of the way I will put out there I have a couple mods that I can post as requested. They include:

1. Intake splitter extension (Borrowed from CorsairNut)

2. Thrust tube with stabalizer ring. (borrowed from unknown user please chime in)
3. Other than stock fan installation.

I also have numbers from various tests including the stock fan, current fan system without thrust tube, current fan system with thrust tube. Also just aquired a new doppler program from here on RCG for free and will be dopplering my flights and can doppler others or at least try to. Still learning the program .

Jason

**EDIT** Pictures of mods added to simplify location of them for new A-4 owners.
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Last edited by FresnoJay; May 20, 2009 at 02:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Subscribed

I don't know if I even feel like finishing my A-4 after that BS back there. All I would be doing is help promote the products I don't want to buy anymore. I think I may store it away, put my power system back in my F-18, and just get an Alpha A-4 instead.
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:35 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Well I get where you are coming from. But all I tell people that ask me about mine is get the NPS version and what fan to actually use . Most of the people I know around here are well aware of GWS's blindsiding and denial. Most are already on the will not ever buy list. But at this point GWS really doesn't have anything else I want. The F-15 was gonna be my next but after all this the E-flite is looking better and better. I love my A-4 but maybe my last unless I see some changes.

Now tailslide you gotta finish her at the very least. You do some sweet work and would love to see it.

Jason
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:55 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
jay, tailslide,

I was going to ask what happened but I just read the thread.. I am out as well. Sadly GWS is back to underpowering their planes and not admitting they have QA issues again... since moving back to China.

ATIS
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:51 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Yeah its really kinda of sad. It would be really easy to fix really with not much fuss. They had a few on the drawing board that looked promising but at this point I am just going to stick with what I have and reserve further purchases for other companies that actually fix, admit, listen to thier customers without busting the customers bs.

Jason
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:47 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Oh what a feeling.....

Thanks Jay. I am forging ahead with my build. I got that set of Carrelli, (Eurokit) landing gear and I am impressed. These things are just rockin'. And $85 for the entire set! These things look tough as nails.

They are very light-weight. I will weigh them in the morning.

Fabbed-up a thrust tube arrangement for the WM400 fan that allows the fan and tube to be easily removed for servicing, motor changes, etc.

Have a good one,

Camship
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:22 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,794 Posts
where did these come from...looks like plastic body/mount/trunion. could you vid these when you get them working ....also looks like the clyinders are crimped on . man guys are a tad gun shy of small retracts...some are not made well ....but let us know about these. nice box and stuff,and cly look big enough to lift a nice wheel and strut.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
thust tube

Jay I feel the same way.
i m runing himax epf69 ducted fan
3 cell 3300 lipo
35 amps
350 watts
thrust 800 g

I have a couple of question on the thrust tube. I see that you started from the edf unit to the rear
I have mine from the opening to the rear; I was thinking that the cover will seal the fan or i can add some depron to the rear of the fan to seal it
And thrust will be the same
Ps I like to fix this or leave it alone till maiden on Saturday hope!!

Here are the pictures from the other day

Thanks to all
madtech is online now Find More Posts by madtech
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by madtech; Feb 28, 2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:42 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
where did these come from...looks like plastic body/mount/trunion. could you vid these when you get them working ....also looks like the clyinders are crimped on . man guys are a tad gun shy of small retracts...some are not made well ....but let us know about these. nice box and stuff,and cly look big enough to lift a nice wheel and strut.
I got them from Eurokit USA who is selling out their stock. I guess someone forgot to advertize. The body is a very stiff plastic with mounting tabs that are beefier than any mini gear I've seen. The cylinders are threaded and removeable for maintenance. The trunion is cast aluminum alloy, very solid. The pivot pin is hardened.

These normally retail for, no kidding, $123.45 but like I said, Eurokit USA is selling out. I think Ductedfans.com also carries them.

I got a set of struts for the mains. These are for 50-60mm wheels.

Have a good one,

Camship
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:48 PM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Madtech
Make the thrust tube from the rear of the fan unit
That way there is a nice smooth transition all the way down to the reduced section
I noticed a HUGE difference on my hi-maxx set-up with and without the thrust tube installed
Enough difference in speed that you could actually see it
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:52 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,794 Posts
Cam

thanks for the info.....that sounds like a good deal and a strong unit.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:18 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
MadTech, I have heard 2 schools on the thrust tube side of things. You could either do like I did and go from the fan to the exit gradually tapering the whole way. Or you can use say a cut down styrofoam cup to reduce it in the last say 50-70mm or 3" of the ducting. The later of the 2 ways is supposed to raise efflux speed (speed of the plane) while keeping thrust the same. But what I found in doing the first of the 2 ways is I raised the thrust and efflux at the same time which was really surprising.

Its really up to you really. The cup would be easier but I think the gradual taper would give you the best results. I can only speak on the gradual taper as that is what I used. I think others have used the cup method and might be able to chime in.

Jason

P.S. With the increase in thrust and efflux I recieved from my tube also came a raise in amps but only about 2-3A.

*EDIT* Thought I would post a pic of the plane that my A-4 robbed its power setup from .
Last edited by FresnoJay; Feb 28, 2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:36 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Subscribed I'm going to be running a WeMo Minifan and a Mega 16/15/2 in mine, 3S 3200 pack. but I may need a bigger ESC, at 35 amps, I don't think it's going to make it with the higher amp draw of the Mega /2
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Nope. You'll need about a 50 or 60 amp speed control. Expect around 45-50 amps.
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:53 PM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
I am gonna use the taco bell cup I just finished drinking from!
lol
(kidding!)

Jason
I love that paint job on your A-4 man
Robbing one power system to fly another!
You should be ashamed of yourself!
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech