HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:59 PM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
Discussion
Filler primer for foam???

Looking for a filler/high build primer thats safe to use on foam.
anyone know of one? anyone have any recipies for a homemade alternative?
twchdyn is offline Find More Posts by twchdyn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:12 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I used talcom powered and WBPU in a thin past. Its sandable... or you can use the easiest and least messy (and lighter) method of using light weight wall spackle as its sandable as well.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:26 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
The litest is the above, but using microballons instead as the filler. Krylon h20 is a good sandable primer thats foam safe.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:01 PM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
cheers lads, i like the spackle for the more substantial filling. after somthing that i could spray. will try the talc. its to fill in the weave in glasscloth and smooth out joins.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:08 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,654 Posts
When I fill with spackle, the paint give off a different color due to the spackle and foam being different material. How do you guys get around that?
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:12 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
A lite coat of WBPU over the entire plane... its smooth and then paint her...

twchdyn... some use the WPBU to apply and fill the glass cloth when they galss their planes...the spackle might work better to fill the weave if you dont want to use the talc and WPBU.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:25 PM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
ive glassed with wbpu on a few models. the results have always been pretty good. i guess i just need to keep layerin up the wbpu and sanding until i get the finish im looking for.

thanks again guys
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:32 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
no problem
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
334 Posts
I use "hobbylite" from 'Hobbico' which is a retail product that is quite probably a talcum powder\paste as recommomended above. But comes pre-mixed to a reliable consistancy.

It takes about 20 mins to touch cure, but should be allowed to cure over night if you want balsa like stregth and resilient sandability. It is about as light as the foam you'd be replacing.

It will "discolor" if painted untreated, like rcboosted stated about wall-filler above.

But to work around that, I make a thin "glaze" of highly watered down Elmer's white glue, and apply to the puttied areas conservatively by brush. That usually takes an additional 30 mins to dry.

Then paint.

-Ian
ibanks is offline Find More Posts by ibanks
Last edited by ibanks; Feb 29, 2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Trust me the "lightweight" vinyl spackle from home depot is even better and much cheaper per volume.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:07 AM
Acampo, Ca. USA
Joined Oct 2006
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin
Trust me the "lightweight" vinyl spackle from home depot is even better and much cheaper per volume.
Would you be able to give pointers for prep work? Or do you just apply the lite weight spackle over the foam surfaces, let it dry sand and paint? I haven't tried this yet.

thanks
kdfi73 is offline Find More Posts by kdfi73
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:17 AM
Joined Jan 2008
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin
I haven't tried the vinyl spackles, but I can give you for granted, that hobbylite is not extremely inexpensive. About 7$ (US) an 8 Oz. can. Though that one 8 oz. can will probably last me another five edf jets at this rate.

Whether the spackle you suggest is lighter (err, you said 'better' not necessarily 'lighter'), is hard to imagine (this stuff almost floats in air,) but perhaps it is.

I'll have to try out that vinyl spac sometime.
ibanks is offline Find More Posts by ibanks
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Fill large gaps using full strength. Then dilute after you sand the whole thing with 50% water and 50% filler. Til its like a thin paste. Paint it on,let dry, sand and repeat as many times as it takes to get your desired look. Different sandpaper grits will be needed. When done spray it with minwax water-based polyAcrylic...its in a blue can and comes in two types gloss and matte finish.It smells alot like windex when sprayed.This will seal it so the paint will be uniform in coverage. Paint and then clear coat it with either the minwax WBPU,Krylon h2o, Tamiya gloss spray, or testors dullcote,glosscote or modelmasters gloss or dull wich are essentially the same. DO NOT USE pactra rc car paint it will eat the foam. All the model acrylics are safe too!
Its a learning process and once you have done it once by trial and error "hopefully less error" It will be easily done but time consuming in the future.
"TIP" when the spackle is dry you can sort of wet sand it. Use like 250/wet dry paper. Soak in water but dont saturate the spackle too much. Its not gonna be wet sanded like a real car. Less is better. It will come out smoother with less dust and a little easier to get right!
Hope this helps alittle, and good luck!!
Best regards, Joe
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanks
I haven't tried the vinyl spackles, but I can give you for granted, that hobbylite is not extremely inexpensive. About 7$ (US) an 8 Oz. can. Though that one 8 oz. can will probably last me another five edf jets at this rate.

Whether the spackle you suggest is lighter (err, you said 'better' not necessarily 'lighter'), is hard to imagine (this stuff almost floats in air,) but perhaps it is.

I'll have to try out that vinyl spac sometime.

Yeah well wait til you pick up a large container of the lightweight vinyl spackle...Its a feather.